Advanced GUI settings for XBMC
if there is a warning shown I personally don't see a reason to hide the section by default or a need to enable it via as.xml. We could just have a GUI-Setting for "expert mode" and than a) show the advanced settings for audio/video OSD and b) show the "Advanced Settings" section in the system menu.

the setting to hide the warning could be a as.xml only setting then. But honestly, do we really need a option to hide it? How often will those advanced settings be changed anyway?
(2012-05-07, 16:26)da-anda Wrote: How often will those advanced settings be changed anyway?
IMO this depends on what will be hidden...
Basically stuff like <useddsfanart> won't be changed after it has been setup...
But there might be some other features like <splash> that some people activate and deactivate more often as this is a preperation for the
IntroMovieAddon...

If some of the OSD features for audio/video will belong to expert mode, I think these are the ones that are changed most often.
Changing some scaler stuff or audio settings on the fly would be cool. And as Damian said, there will be quite a lot of new audio settings
coming up with AE...DSP stuff and so on...
That would be a candidate for it...

mad-max

- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
mad-max - those options could show up in the according Audio/Video sections I think - only generic and reaaaaaally low level as.xml stuff should probably move to the "expert" section. Or maybe we find a better concept for it?
(2012-05-07, 17:22)da-anda Wrote: mad-max - those options could show up in the according Audio/Video sections I think
Well, Damian seems to have a hard fight to get it in there...

(2012-05-07, 17:22)da-anda Wrote: Or maybe we find a better concept for it?
Yeah, maybe...will think about this whole settings section again...

BTW: Thanks to all that came up with the good points to push XBMC beyond...

cheers,
Max

- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
What about this addon:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87524

I've used it in the past and works well enough for quick adjustments.
@live4ever

Can't download that add-on mentioned in that threat.

Looking at the original script expanding it to add a nicer layout and more options wouldn't be that big of a problem and could add it to official repo
Still requires a restart to take effect though
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
@madmax - wouldn't describe it as a "tough enough fight" - I have my opinion and wants, others have their's, and no one shoe will fit the bill. That's why it's a team decision, but balancing the needs of the many with the needs of the few.

The fact that there's debate on it is good, and it means that no-one's throwing absolutes around, again in keeping with the team spirit and looking for some kind of consensus.

@Martijn - we need a guy with your skills if we go the addons route (which seems to have the most support among devs) for AE settings. As you pointed out, unlike GUI settings as.xml changes require a restart (booo). Not sure if Python addons have any direct access to variables or structures in memory, which would be needed for "live" settings. Anyways, will try pick your brain on IRC Smile
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Passion already has an addon that does that. I agree with jmarshall. I'm the first one to enable an option 'just to see what it does'. But still, I wanted to point out that it's really easy to make an addon that does what you want.

[EDIT]
Sorry, didn't read after page 1... My bad.
Admin @ Passion-XBMC
(official french community)
(2012-05-07, 22:46)Maxoo Wrote: Passion already has an addon that does that. I agree with jmarshall. I'm the first one to enable an option 'just to see what it does'. But still, I wanted to point out that it's really easy to make an addon that does what you want.

[EDIT]
Sorry, didn't read after page 1... My bad.

Discussed this further and in general this will make changing values in as.xml to easy for new users who don't know what they are doing and then come complaining that their setup broke.
The more experienced ones know how to edit things they want.

note:
although passion-repo is great this doesn't make them available to the general public who never visit these forums or passion-xbmc.org (and can read French).
I'm sorry Martijn, I'm not sure I get what you mean with your last post.

Would you approve of a setting to be activated in advancedsettings.xml, that exposes all advanced features in the GUI or not?

As has been mentioned in this discussion, there are several settings which might look advanced to some but are actually useful only when it's easy to toggle between them.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
That's kinda my point ashlar - and unfortunately after some checking the addon method won't work for "live" settings, only for as.xml settings

So yeah, I side for sure on an unlockable "advanced" mode
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
No there will be no switch to unlock ALL advanced settings

The ones that perhaps needed will probably be added.
^^^ as Martijn says, it will be specific ones if any. Many are meant to be set once and forgotten - others benefit from toggling within the program.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advanced GUI settings for XBMC0