Green Artifacts
Exclamation 
I'm getting random green artifacts while playing videos. I grabbed a screenshot but it doesn't capture the artifacts so I had to take a photograph instead. I posted both here anyways since the first one includes the info at the top of the screen. Anyone have any ideas?

Screenshot (No artifacts visible)

Camera Shot (Green artifacts visible)

Disable DXVA2 in XBMC settings/video/playback.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-05-07, 06:59)bluray Wrote: Disable DXVA2 in XBMC settings/video/playback.....

I saw that recommendation in another post but I don't even have that setting available in my prefs.

(2012-05-07, 14:35)Amandaville Wrote:
(2012-05-07, 06:59)bluray Wrote: Disable DXVA2 in XBMC settings/video/playback.....

I saw that recommendation in another post but I don't even have that setting available in my prefs.
Have you download the (Current Stable Release: 11.0 “Eden”)? Are you using Windows XP? XP don't support hardware accelleration.....

(2012-05-07, 15:59)bluray Wrote:
(2012-05-07, 14:35)Amandaville Wrote:

Have you download the (Current Stable Release: 11.0 “Eden”)? Are you using Windows XP? XP don't support hardware accelleration.....

Bluray,

Yes, it is the current release on XP

(2012-05-07, 16:13)Amandaville Wrote:
(2012-05-07, 15:59)bluray Wrote:
(2012-05-07, 14:35)Amandaville Wrote: I saw that recommendation in another post but I don't even have that setting available in my prefs.

Bluray,

You wouldn't have DXVA support then.....you might want to consider Windows 7. It's $68 for Windows 7 64-bit home premium- Windows 7.....

(2012-05-07, 16:28)bluray Wrote:
(2012-05-07, 16:13)Amandaville Wrote:
(2012-05-07, 15:59)bluray Wrote: Have you download the (Current Stable Release: 11.0 “Eden”)? Are you using Windows XP? XP don't support hardware accelleration.....

Bluray,

You wouldn't have DXVA support then.....you might want to consider Windows 7. It's $68 for Windows 7 64-bit home premium- Windows 7.....

So you think that would resolve the issue with the green artifacts?

I have another machine (with a faster processor and more memory) that I could use but it needs a new video card. Is it true that Nvidia cards are better than ATI for XBMC? I guess I could go buy an Nvidia card and install Windows 7 on that machine if that will resolve my issues.

One more question... If that is the solution, I don't have a lot to spend on the video card. What would you recommend for an inexpensive yet adequate card for xbmc?

Thank for all of your help!

If the artefacts don't show up in a screen shot - I it might be the HDMI cable going to the screen.
(2012-05-07, 18:34)live4ever Wrote: If the artefacts don't show up in a screen shot - I it might be the HDMI cable going to the screen.

That was the first thing I thought of so I swapped cables but nothing changed. Confused
I doubt that it matters but I'm using a DVI cable rather than HDMI because neither my pc or projector have HDMI.
(2012-05-07, 18:34)live4ever Wrote: If the artefacts don't show up in a screen shot - I it might be the HDMI cable going to the screen.

Yeah, or the gpu, it's definitely not XBMC doing that.
Well I found another video card to try and alas, those annoying green artifacts are gone. Yay! Big Grin

Is there any reason still to upgrade to Windows 7 as Bluray suggested earlier? What benefit would I gain?
(2012-05-08, 16:34)Amandaville Wrote: Is there any reason still to upgrade to Windows 7 as Bluray suggested earlier? What benefit would I gain?
If you have a strong GPU, you'll benefit from hardware accelleration by using Windows 7. You'll have less stress on your CPU.....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Green Artifacts0