XBMC Operation not permitted, please help!
Can someone please help!

I have a new wireless network setup at home, I have a Netgear DM111P ADSL+2 Modem and running the ethernet cable from the modem into my airport express. I have a 1.5TB harddrive connected to my airport express allowing to share over the network. I can access the drive with my mac no worries just not anything else.[/b]

I have had XBMC set up on all my devices previously and never had this problem before, when adding my source (which is my shared 1.5TB harddrive connected to my airport express) xbmc shows up with the following errors' Operation not permitted and XBMC was unable to connect to the network location.

With the new set up I have a new IP address totally different to my previous one and when I go to add this to the Add network location with the protocol Windows Network (SMB) which I had previously I get these errors.

What am I doing wrong, it's been a while since I have had to do this, xbmc has been working perfectly on all my devices until I have this new network.

Please help, I have a ipad, iphone 4, apple tv gen1 and mac book pro on OSX 10.6.8

I would really appreciate some assistance with this and some guidance as to what I may be doing wrong.

Thank you in advance.
Why is it coming up with this error?

XBMC is showing the weather, it's connected to the internet but from some reason I get this show up when I go to add a network location, am I right in just putting in the IP address of my network as a SMB Windows Network? or do I have to put in smb://IPaddress/shareddirvename

I had it all working perfectly for so long until my new modem setup.

Please help!!!!!!!!
post a xbmc.log.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I think one thread is enough for you problem - i've merged them to one.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I'm not up with all this techno talk, what is an xbmc.log?

Can't someone just help me with some direction, don't know where else to get help
We can't help you without the xbmc.log file (we don't have a crystal ball Wink ).

1. see "Where are the UserData folder and the debug log?" here http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...bug_log.3F
2. Might read this up: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...#Debug_Log

Post the xbmc.log content to pastebin.com and put the link in here.
Hi Memphiz,

Thank you for taking the time to help me, I really do appreciate it, I could only imagine the number of noobs you would deal with and well........i'm one of them, but I'm learning quickly so please be patient.

The path: /Users/<your_user_name>/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata to find my xbmc.log, how do I access this from my ipad and apple tv1, do I have to SSH? (I don't know how to SSH to apple tv1). I can find this path on my macbook pro and it takes me to a folder containing a heap of different folders and .xml files, which one do I find my xbmc.log in?

Thank you again.

Once this is done and I'm back in action I will not be updating my home network ever again.
There's a debug add-on that will automate all of this. Install it through XBMC by going to:

System (settings) -> Add-ons -> Get add-ons -> XBMC.org -> Programs -> XBMC Log Uploader -> Install

Then open it from Programs in the main menu.
ahh not my day. Forget my posting - that path is wrong for osx ... better use nedscotts approach then as its "noob"-friendly...
Thank you kindly guys, I'll give it a go and let you know how I go

Cheers
Hi guy's,

I now have a xbmclog in the pastebin #2351.

Is this something you can access or do you need me paste the details into my next post?

I read:
Application Specific Information:
XBMC[2278] was suspended with locked system files:
/private/var/mobile/.smb/gencache_notrans.tdb

Could this be the issue?

Thanks again for your help with this.

Cheers
Thanks guy's, I now have a xbmc.log in the paste bin http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=2351
Do you need me to paste this into my next post or can you view this log yourself?

Cheers

edit by memphiz: added the link to the pasty
NedScott whats wrong here? There is only a crashreporter. I thought the addon would upload the xbmc.log aswell.

tyfighter24 - whatever you did to get me that log - it didn't work out Sad - thats not the xbmc.log which i would need, but a crashreporter log (you didn't mention a crash yet). So either this is not your log file with number 2351, or something else has gone wrong.
How new is the current "network" setup? Has it worked via your AP-express before or is this a new constellation?

I just set up a new mini-mac and installed everything from scratch... But had problem with installing a add-on (zip-style). It turned out that the permissions to access the files somehow had messed up on my external 3Tb drive - so I had to sort that out first.

After the read/write permissions were updated on the drive, I had no problems from within XBMC. = It was a system error, not XBMC.

Might not be the case - but might be something to check out as well if you have a new constellation.

Keyword "Drive permission"

Good luck! Smile
Hi Ned,

Thats the report link it emailed me and I haven't had a crash only operation not permitted error however........

I've been doing a little more research as to what might be causing this issue.

My new modem does not have the DLNA funtionality, my old one did.

Could this be the problem?

Thanks
Thanks Roquen,

Did you have to re format the drive from scratch or was there a quick way around this?

My network is fairly old, about 8 months, the only thing I have changed is my modem and after speaking with a couple of different people it seems as though the lack of the DLNA functionality on my modem may be causing the issue.

I hope so

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Operation not permitted, please help!0