• 2(current)
Completed my A6-Pack Build and an unRaid server (with pictures)
unRaid Update:

Installed mobo, ram, psu, and connectors into the case last night.
Plugged in the monitor and powered on,..and up comes the boot screen!
Woohoo, love it when it works the first time.

So no where the tricky part.
I booted into unRaid (and I was so glad it booted off of USB since this mobo is from 2003).
I directly connected the integrated NIC into the back of my Wireless DSL Router.
After boot up,..I didn't get an IP address.

I then disconnected and plugged in a Wireless USB stick, and after boot still no IP.
I then realized that even if wirless works, I'd need a way to enter my wireless networks WEP password.
I opened a question on the LimeTech Forum to see if anyoen runs wireless on their unRaid or if it's even supported.

So now I need to boot into Live Ubuntu and see if my direct lan connection will give me an IP.
That would show me that the integrated NIC is good.
If that does work, I then need to figure out why I get no IP, could be that intergrated NIC is not supported.
I'd then have to scrounge up a supported NIC card.
Got confirmation that the rest of my XBMC HTPC parts have been shipped and should arrive next Wednesday.
Can't wait to get that together.
GortWillSaveUs

Nice.....

Fans look my build..... I bought one Silen X fan and its at full speed... it's the only fan that is on.... its the big 140mm fan on top...

I got a tip to cover the fan hole on the side of the case.....

Temps are 21C morning .... playing a vid 29-32c and full load 36C

In a room of 75-90 F

witch is great......

Now if it gets TOO hot..... the room turn the rear 120mm one on.... I never had to.....
unRaid Update:

Since I wasn't getting an IP address upon boot up of unRaid, I decided to:
a) Try another NIC card (tried this last night, and still no dice,..no IP)
b) Try to boot into Ubuntu and see if I get an IP that way (since I don't have an internal CD Drive, I tried an extrnal USB CD-drive. Won't recoginize drive so I gave up to try another step)
c) Check out the bios and see if I'm missing something

Well, it seems that when I did step c),...something worked, since I can now get an IP from the integrated gigabit NIC interface, and I'm into the unRaid interface and formatting drives. Woohoo!!!!

I should state that even though I checked on the bios,..I changed nothing.
Just one of those weird events tha you can't explain, but that you're happy that it now works.

HTPC Update:

RAM arrives tomorrow
Case and mobo on Tuesday
Everything else on Wednesday.
Will probably take next Thursday or Friday off of work.
(2012-05-10, 18:07)Beer40oz Wrote: GortWillSaveUs

Nice.....

Fans look my build..... I bought one Silen X fan and its at full speed... it's the only fan that is on.... its the big 140mm fan on top...

I got a tip to cover the fan hole on the side of the case.....

Temps are 21C morning .... playing a vid 29-32c and full load 36C

In a room of 75-90 F

witch is great......

Now if it gets TOO hot..... the room turn the rear 120mm one on.... I never had to.....

Question: The fan that comes with the case are pretty decent and have a manual variable speed switch. They're also pretty decent and huge. Why'd you change the fan on the top? Also you mention that if the temp ever gets too hot, you'd turnt he rear fan on. How? Have you unplugged the fan's connector from the mobo,..or is you mobo capable of controlling the fan on its own?

Personally I like the blue fans that come with the case, but I see your point that if only the top fan is needed to keep everything cool,..why have the 2 front, and 1 rear fan also running. Although, I suppose it wouldn't hurt, right?

Oh another thing: You mentioned that you covered the one side with a cd case to block air flow. I get that you're trying to focus the entry of air so you get more focused airflow,..but then what about the other opening where the other fans are located. Do you block those too?
Well yes the BLUE LEd fans it comes with are fine!

I changed because I did not like the LED's on anymore.... and I like black and yellow and wanted to give silen x a try since I heard they are good and yes they are good.

Well you really need just the top fan running.... but if you have tons of HD's then more fans are needed....

Yes you can RUN your front fans if you wan't but then the HD's will be colder and they get under 20C in the mornings and I heard it is not a good thing.....

You wan't to keep them 20c - 38C from what I read.....

Blocked the side because a nice guy here told me to..... because it will keep HOT air coming in from that side.....

But check this out.....

I am planning to get a yellow silen x 120mm fan for the rear and the SIDE vent I have covered.....

Because I am going to get more HD's.....

and going to use something like this to control them.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811998129

Smile

So I dont think I am ever going to use the front fans.....

The rear ones will do just fine....

Oh man also if you have the front ones ON they get a lot of dust.....
Hey GORT....

How about this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811996023

I may try it out with my TOP 140mm fan.... and I might get x2 more 120mm yellow silenx fans for the rear and the side panel....

use that controller and bring it all the way down...... then if it gets HOT bring it up...... Smile
(2012-05-12, 22:06)Beer40oz Wrote: Hey GORT....

How about this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811996023

I may try it out with my TOP 140mm fan.... and I might get x2 more 120mm yellow silenx fans for the rear and the side panel....

use that controller and bring it all the way down...... then if it gets HOT bring it up...... Smile

You're killing me Wink Just dropped a lot of money already.
But I do like these toys!!! Keep 'em coming.

So, I tested the unRaid setup by copying over some data verifying it, and then I powered off the server.
I then disconnected the last HD and replaced with an identical 256G HD.

Powered unRaid back up and it saw that I had a new drive in there and it asked if I wanted to sync this new drive.
Did it and everything's still good.

Powered it down, replaced the parity drive with a larger one. Same as above.
Then I added an additional 2 drives. I also went and purchased the Plus version of unRaid.
Now waiting for my license so I can add the additional drive.

Now here's my conundrum.
I have 4 SATA ports on the mobo.
This mobo is from 2003,....so it only has an AGB and 5 PCI slots.
I see that I can purchase a SATA PCI controller card: Koutech PSA150 PCI SATA Controller Card

Opinions? Since I don't have a choice with this mobo,...is there a better controller? Anyone in the same boat,.i.e. using this type of card?
unRaid is now all configured and running. Put it in its new home.
Copying years of data (pix, videos, docs, pdfs,.....) over there now.

The Antec 300 Illusion case is awesome with the blue lit fans.

At some point, I'll look into seeing if I can power this down over night and start up in the morning.
Also I have to find out if I can find some software that will do a compare of folders locally with what was copied to unRaid, and then copy over the new/modified data. Opinions?

All the HTPC parts should arrive on Wednesday.
I keep mine on 24/7

How many HD's you have in there?

Where are the pics....

JAJA
(2012-05-14, 02:03)Beer40oz Wrote: I keep mine on 24/7

How many HD's you have in there?

Where are the pics....

JAJA

I'll look up all the details of the mobo, ram, and such once I get home.
Currently, all the free HD's are relatively small,..but they work and were just laying around.
The Parity Drive is 500GB
#1 - 250GB
#2 - 250GB
#3 - 250GB
#4 - 250GB (installed, but not connected at this time)

My mobo only has 4 SATA connections, that's why the #4 drive is disconnected.
My mobo also only has AGB and PCI slots, so I have to purchase a PCI SATA expansion card. (see prior post)

So, this currently gives me a 750GB backup using unRaid.
For now, Im just copying over all pix, docs, videos, pdfs.

I have a 2TB that has over 100 movies (in iso format).
This is currently being used as my primary drive in a Vista computer I use for games and such stuff.
I'll be installing this 2TB as my second drive in my HTPC build.
Inside the Vista computer is an unused 1TB drive which will then be the primary drive.

I'd like to eventually get another 2 - 2TB drives, and move everything down a notch in the unRaid build.
That would give me:
A Parity Drive that would be 2TB
#1 - 2TB
#2 - 500GB
#3 - 250GB
#4 - 250GB
#5 - 250GB
#6 - 250GB (don't remember is this is the cache drive)

This would a total common drive of 3.5TB

As for pictures,....they're coming. Big Grin

Oh alright .... seems you don't need much storage then.

Cool.....

I been reading on this build.... it's crazy when money don't matter....

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...ic=19695.0
(2012-05-14, 17:15)Beer40oz Wrote: Oh alright .... seems you don't need much storage then.

Well technically not yet,....but I'm working on building my Movie and TV Show library every week.
I'm hope to get up to 6-10TB at some point in the unRaid.
I'm hoping to scrounge larger HD's, and wait until HD prices come down.

But,..like all good dads out there,..I must feed the family.
Besides, they can only survive and mac-n-cheese for so long. Wink

BTW, from that link you posted,..it looked like that guy's 4TB drives took 36 hours to do a unRaid preclear. Wow!
Yup it takes a long time to Pre Clear.... it did for me too.....
In a big surprise,..all of the HTPC parts arrived yesterday. Was expecting it all by tomorrow.
So I unpacked everything and took pictures which I'll post in the near future,...time is my enemy.

The case is amazing. Plenty of room and I love how they created areas for the SSD and HDD's.
The only problem I had was with the power supply, not that it was a huge problem.
When I installed the BDROM drive,..the cables in the back, are right up against the PSU.
While I had room,..I switched the straight ended SATA for a 90-degree angled cable.
Also the BDROM pressed up against the PSU cables,..but it all fits and I'm not worried or concerned, just thought that I'd mention it.

The Shuriken CPU cooler is amazing! I sat looking at it puzzled about how it installs on the MOBO.
Who reads directionsHuh Not that these were all that clear,..but once I realized there were 4-different ways to install it, I figured it out.
Since this was an AMD FM1 socket,..look for those directions. (there are Intel based instructions just so you know)
There are two different brackets and ways to install this cooler.
Also with my MOBO, you remove the stock cooler clamps. If you get this far,..it'll make sense.

With fingers crossed, I turned the power on. AND power on it did! Woohoo!

I buttoned everything up, installed Windows 7, and then realized I overlooked a cable that came with the case.
The front panel has 2 USB ports. I had left the internal cable disconnected since I saw this MOBO did not have a USB 3.0 connector on the MOBO.
As I said, I came across a converter cable that allows me to plug the front USB connector into the smaller USB connector on the MOBO.

I also noticed that the CPU Fan was running pretty high and was noticeable,..but I wasn't concerned with this since I had read posts about setting this in the BIOS to "Cool and Quite". Later I did knock the fan speed in half, which made an amazing difference. Almost totally quite now. I'll read those posts again to see what other did to set fan speed to be optimal.

Now I carried my prize upstairs and plugged into the HDMI #2 port of my 42" LED TV.
Turned on the TV, switched to HDMI #2 and powered on the PC.
Perfect, I get the Windows login screen on my TV.
It's now about 10:40PM and I'm getting woozy.

I say that because I wasn't getting sound coming out of the TV, nor my Surround Sound System.
Also, I could not change the video resolution to anything but 1024x768
Doesn't recognize my TV.
I also plugged in 3 different USB Wireless Network adapters for temporary connectivity until I get the wiring resolved.
All 3 USB sticks were not recognized and I needed to install drivers. (this is a pain since by default Ubuntu recognizes all 3 and doesn't need drivers)

Like I said, I was fried at this point and decided to pick this up tomorrow (which is now today, but alas, I'm at work now).

So I'm off to read posts about the following:
1 - Shuriken CPU cooler fan speed recommendations to set in the BIOS.
2 - Why am I not getting sound via HDMI?
3 - The screen resolution issue,..what is the solution?

BTW, the wireless keyboard is amazing (see my first post). Highly recommended! Haven't tried the MCE remote yet.

Next steps after I figure out problems 1-3:
a. Install XBMC
b. Try a few movies installed on the local HDD to check on quality and sound.
c. Try a few movies that ont he remote unRaid box.
d. Try a DVD and eventually a BlueRay Disc (don't have any)
e. Install any other apps, games, tools,....
f. Test the MCE remote.
g. Teach family how to use
h. Load pictures for you guys to see

P.S. If anyone knows of solutions to my 3 issues,..please help me by posting a response. Smile
Found a post that Beer made where he recommended for the CPU cooler:
Target CPU Temp 50C/122F
Target Fan Speed 1 (although I found that 3-5 is pretty much silent)

I did notice that there was an option to have the CPU Fan in automatic mode.
I suppose that will ramp the fan speed up if temp go higher than 50C,...have to read more about that.

Looks like this resolves issue #1
Now onto issue #2 and #3
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Completed my A6-Pack Build and an unRaid server (with pictures)2