OS X Very LOUD clipping sound while playing MKV with AC3 Sound.
I'm experiencing some very loud "clipping" sound every time I try to play some MKV inside of XBMC (They are just straight DVD Rips made with MakeMKV with an AC3 Audio Track) trough the integrated speakers of a Late 2010 iMac.
The "pop" is so loud that it's clearly affecting the speaker itself, and it appears everytime, regardless of volume levels (if the volume it's muted, the noise will appear once it's turned up). It's even way above of the maximum volume that can be set trough normal means.

The strange thing is, it only happens when XBMC plays MKV/AC3 files, while it shows no problem while playing any other kind of filetype, and at the same time both VLC and MplayerX play such MKV files without any problem.
Moreover It only happens while playing contents trough the integrated speakers, playing content via the minidisplayport-hdmi adapter is fine.

My iMac is a Late 2010, ATI 5670/i3 3.2 Ghz CPU / HDA intel Audio, running Lion 10.7.3.

The problem started with xbmc 11.0, it still appears with the "frodo alpha 1" build.

I can upload a small clip (~70MB) if necessary.

EDIT: Almost forgot, here's the xbmc.log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=2359
I'm having a similar problem with my older iMac. Besides mkv files it also happens when playing certain mp4 files. This is ruining my iMac speakers...
Sorry experts, I can't find any suitable thread to post my issue, please allow me to post here... I am very new here, sorry for a stupid question, how do I install "Repositories Installer" on XBMC on Mac 10.7.3? thanks!
jin2005, could you tell me what kind of mp4 files are causing your problem, so I can verify that happens here too?

ultraman888, your problem has nothing to do with this, you should ask a moderator to move your post in another thread.
I'll have to check this when I'm home but as soon as I start an mp4 video file from a TvTeam torrent (like Veep or Girls) I get this sound. It also happens after fast forwarding 720p video files released by sceneline (like Game of Thrones). It definitely has something to do with AC3 codec...
By the way, here's a MediaInfo Report from one of the affected files:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=2381
Hi not sure if this helps anyone however I was able to resolve the same loud clicking issues on mkv and some mp4 files by going into xbmc preferences and deselecting the dolby ac3 capable receiver option. I hadn't set this option I think it is just the default. Though I must also say that I run Hackintosh so I thought the issue may have been with the voodoohda.kext (driver) that runs my audio. That said worth a try. Cool

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Very LOUD clipping sound while playing MKV with AC3 Sound.0