[XBMCBUNTU] possible to use VNC?
Hi,

I'm currently using XBMC on top of Windows 7 but recently I've started fiddling with XBMCBuntu (using it from a USB stick with persistence so my settings are remembered) with a view to moving to an installed version of XBMCBuntu as it seems faster.
The problem is that I can only change files/settings etc by using the main TV, which annoys my wife & kids!! In Win7 I use UltraVNC with my laptop and so the kid can carry on watching TV undisturbed.

Is there any VNC solution I can use with XBMCBuntu? If so can anyone help me set it up as I am a complete linux noob?!

Thanks
It really depends on what you're wanting to do....you can setup x11vnc with separate X sessions, but if you can do most stuff through the CLI, then SSH is probably better.
(2012-05-08, 16:16)Aenima99x Wrote: It really depends on what you're wanting to do....you can setup x11vnc with separate X sessions, but if you can do most stuff through the CLI, then SSH is probably better.
Thanks for the answer, but I'm afraid that almost all of your post is greek to me! I was wondering if it was possibleto do with XBMCBuntu what I could quite easily do in Win7 with UltraVNC - that is remotely change settings via my laptop without inconveniencing my family!
Yes, you can use vnc on xbmcbuntu. You installed it in win and you have to install it on linux. Sounds like a bad idea on both platforms.
What is it you want to be able to do from your laptop, exactly?
(2012-05-08, 20:12)vikjon0 Wrote: Yes, you can use vnc on xbmcbuntu. You installed it in win and you have to install it on linux. Sounds like a bad idea on both platforms.
Thanks, so how do I do this? I'm a real linux noob! would it be along the lines of:
Code:
sudo apt-get install vnc

(2012-05-08, 20:31)mr.sparkle Wrote: What is it you want to be able to do from your laptop, exactly?
Well, in Win7 I use UltraVNC as a server on my HTPC so I could easily change Windows settings, update XBMC settings, rip bluray & scrape with ember etc on the HTPC via the ultraVNC viewer on my laptop. This way I could do so without inconveniencing my family as they watch TV!!! I would like to do the same thing but with XBMCBuntu.
(2012-05-08, 22:57)spinecho Wrote:
(2012-05-08, 20:12)vikjon0 Wrote: Yes, you can use vnc on xbmcbuntu. You installed it in win and you have to install it on linux. Sounds like a bad idea on both platforms.
Thanks, so how do I do this? I'm a real linux noob! would it be along the lines of:
Code:
sudo apt-get install vnc

I think this might help: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers#vino
(2012-05-08, 23:01)drivesoslow Wrote: I think this might help: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers#vino
Thanks I'll check it out!

(2012-05-08, 23:02)spinecho Wrote:
(2012-05-08, 23:01)drivesoslow Wrote: I think this might help: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers#vino
Thanks I'll check it out!
OK, I've read the article, but I've hit a stumbling block! It says:
Quote:To configure vino from within GNOME, go to System > Preferences > Remote Desktop
I'm using XBMCBuntu and I cannot seem to find this option!!!
Any help please?

Good question, I want to know this as well!
try
Code:
sudo apt-get install vino
(2012-05-09, 16:36)drivesoslow Wrote: try
Code:
sudo apt-get install vino
Ok, thanks! I'm at work at the mo, so I'll try it later.

As far as I know any remote xbmc screen shared via vino will not update (sometimes you'll see a blank screen.. sometimes you'll see the screen as it was when you started the vnc session). Keystrokes will work though, and so will mouse movements.

Should be fine if your viewing a gnome or unity session though.
Stupid question. How do you in xbmcbuntu stop xbmc en go to the desktop? When i do logoff, the next time i log on xbmc is back (autostart).

Thanks
Exit out of XBMC, don't reboot or shutdown. If the skin you're using doesn't have the Exit option, switch to Confluence. Once you've exited out, it should drop you to a login screen, where you can choose XBMCbuntu instead of XBMC. Once you type in your password, you'll be greeted with a desktop environment.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBMCBUNTU] possible to use VNC?0