Wrong screen size with XBMCbuntu live
I'm trying to run XBMCbuntu off a USB drive on my new Acer Revo RL70 nettop, with a 32" HDTV (native resolution 1920x1080), connecting with a HDMI cable. For some reason, it's getting the monitor size wrong and XBMC is displaying with some of the buttons invisible (off the edge of the screen). What do I need to do to tell it to display at a specific (presumably lower) resolution?

I have had XBMC working on this setup, but with a Lubuntu (Ubuntu+LXDE) installation, but I'm keen to get the XBMCbuntu distro working in its place.
In XBMC you can go to Settings and choose the resolution you want

but he probably need the calibration on the same screen more as I assume it is not resolution but overscan?
vikjon0, I'm not quite sure what you mean by that but I think you may be on the right lines. The resolution setting actually doesn't help - in fact, doesn't seem to change anything in XBMC. I changed it to 1680x1050 (and confirmed from the system info that the change was in effect) but the buttons were still off the edge of the screen. What am I missing?
Use the calibration function in the setting screen shown above.
If its skin buttons off-screen, there is also a zoom function under the "Settings>Appearance" that controls the skin size in 2% increments. Mine is usually set -2%.

Overscan is controlled by using the "Video Calibration" function as shown in the screenshot.
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
Thanks, got it partly sorted now. I did indeed need to adjust the calibration. I'd tried this before but had been a little confused by the message to "adjust the arrow", when I couldn't even see an arrow. A little probing into the corners of the screen revealed what I needed to do. So now my XBMC is set up correctly. I say the problem is only partly sorted, though, because when I quit out of XBMC and log in to XBMCbuntu, the exact same problem is present there - buttons and menus off the edge of the screen. How do I correct that? And, perhaps more importantly, why might this be happening like this in the first place? I would have thought the monitor detection should work to sort this out? Could it be because of the HDMI cable, I wonder? I'm using an absolutely dirt cheap one of which I have no expectations (a better one is in the post to me), but I did think that, it being digital, any HDMI cable would do.
Then you need to set the resolution correctly in Ubuntu under System->Preferences->Monitors. Once this is working correctly then address XBMC. You will probably find that once you have Ubuntu working correctly you will need to disable zoom in XBMC's display settings.

With a decent LCD and proper configuration you should be able to get a dot-for-dot image displayed that does not have any over or underscan without having to use the zoom feature in XBMC.

This may also require you to disable any scaling done by your video card. I know both nVidia and ATI have this feature in their proprietary drivers.

NVIDIA: http://askubuntu.com/questions/80324/hdm...-of-screen

ATI: sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0 or use the AMD control panel
When you say I "need to set the resolution correctly in Ubuntu", what do you mean? The resolution in Ubuntu is set to 1920x1080, just as it is in XBMC. Unless I've missed something, there are no calibration controls within Ubuntu, and it was calibration (rather than resolution setting) which made the difference for XBMC.
(2012-05-08, 22:45)Johnny2R Wrote: When you say I "need to set the resolution correctly in Ubuntu", what do you mean? The resolution in Ubuntu is set to 1920x1080, just as it is in XBMC. Unless I've missed something, there are no calibration controls within Ubuntu, and it was calibration (rather than resolution setting) which made the difference for XBMC.

Check what the refresh rate is Ubuntu, my TV likes 55hz otherwise it gets stretched, your TV manual should list the recommended refresh rate.

http://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id=ubu...ntu_804r_4

What video card do you have?

ATI: http://www.cnx-software.com/wp-content/u...stment.png
nVidia: http://www.ctrlv.ca/wp-content/uploads/2...erscan.jpg
I reckon there must be some problems with the native graphic drivers. I have an Acer Revo RL70 nettop, with AMD Radeon HD 6320 integrated graphics. When I installed the fglrx driver in my previous (Lubuntu) installation, the image quality seemed much poorer - fonts looking jagged and bitty, etc. XBMBbuntu uses this native driver and seems to have the same issues. The strange thing is that when I gave up on Linux and tried Windows 7 instead, it still looked rough, so it's not Linux-specific. Ever persistent, I installed Linux Mint 12 KDE yesterday, and everything, fonts and all, looks MUCH better, and the size is correct. This is using the open source driver. Clearly I'm going to be losing out a bit in terms of performance - it remains to be seen if this is a problem.
I'm using a revo myself, found this site which holds instructions on how to set this - my resolution was set to 320x320 now its 70 x 70 the windows on the desktop are no longer massive:

Basically you need to edit the config file, once i did this i could see all the settings graphically within the nvidia app, impossible to do this with the 320x320 res.

Hope it helps people Smile

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic/...-monitors/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wrong screen size with XBMCbuntu live0