i3 build, with guide/tips (mostly linux)
First, I wan't to thank Beer40oz, bluray and eskro, for advice, and talks about this build.

This is my Intel i3 build, with guide/tips.

Case: Antec ISK 300-65 Read below
Mobo: ASRock H67M-ITX/HT
CPU: Intel Core i3-2120T Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz
SSD: Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC064D 64 GB
Mem: Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Remote: Harmony 650 Remote Read below

Haven't tried the Harmony 650 yet. It just arrived.
Cannot recommend! Lag, lag and lag! Even after Logitech "support magic"...still lag. unbearable. A $10 MCE remote will do better...not as nice and pretty thoug.

I'm using the 65w brick that came with the Antec ISK 300-65. Works great for this setup. But with a discrete GPU card,
it's easy to upgrade. Just order a new 90w or 120w brick.It's a cheap upgrade, and you don't have to take it apart.
Goes as high as 135w
Don't! The internal PSU is unstable and poopy. Buy a PICO PSU instead!

For some reason, the Realtek RTL8111E didn't work with Ubuntu server (12.04 or 11.10)
Ubuntu desktop (12.04 and 11.10), Debian and XBMCbuntu worked without any problems with this RTL8111E NIC.
There shouldn't be any difference between Ubuntu Server and Desktop, besides mostly desktop packages. But apparently there is.
Upgraded to 12.10. Ethernet works. Don't know about a fresh install

SSD:
For better performance, and longevity I used this guide (along with other guides) Partition and Allign SSD
Also used TRIM
My Precious Samsung 830. I'm really happy with this. And this has made it's way, to many great XBMC setup's after, I've read.

Though, installing a full Ubuntu, I followed alanwww1's great guide Simplified Guide for a perfect minimal HTPC on INTEL platforms
Works just as great, as my old ION GPU with VDPAU. (haven't got around to play with interlacing yet, though. It's a weak point of the Intel HD graphics as of writing, i think).
It worked almost as great as Nvidia. Hope that alanwww1 will update his guide, with newer kernels. I was really happy with his guide.On Ubuntu 12.10 it can prevent you setup from "starting".
xorg.conf is now included in the kernel. So the few stated options, can prevent you from getting any picture on the screen when booting into X now..still great helpfull guide from alanwww1. Just remember the above, with newer kernels..

And though, using Ubuntu, I compiled XBMC myself. I know it's in a package, but...I'm used to it, and wanted to feel the "Quickiness" of my new i3 vs ION 330 Big Grin
Compiling XBMC on my sweet new little i3 box, took ~9 minutes...vs 63 minutes on my Asrock ION 330. Me like.

Booting:
It took 14 sec, from cold (new install).
It takes longer now, when I've add'ed my 3 "Samsung Story Station" (green) USB drives which spins up/down on 3 min inactivity, and Apache, mysql, postfix, dhcpd etc has to start up.
(only boot's a few times a year, so not a problem for me).

Interface is really snappy! It's a real joy, comming from the Asrock ION 330, to an i3 with SSD.
(Running "Transparency!"...my favorite skin, kudos to ronie)

Temperature:
Putting the top on the case, add'ed about 5-6C (stock CPU cooler and one stock case cooler, set to low.)
It reached 54C (cpu temp) when compiling and maxing out all CPU cores.
Now, when everything is running (XBMC, Apache, mysql, postfix, dhcpd, cron, scripts etc) it's stable at 39C, with top on the case, put in a "TV-furniture".
I'm going to try removing, the case cooler. Seem's Beer4oz has a good experience with this. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1103581

Noise:
Sitting ~2 meters from the i3 box, the noise is barely audible. But, it's really low. And it is a nice kind of noise. (moving air).
Not the "high-frequency-my-ears-bleed-please-stop" kinda noise, that my Asrock ION produces.

Issues:
I've got ~250 msec delay on audio, depends on fps/hz. Also had this delay with "Eden" on Asrock ION, before switching, to i3 with Intel HD graphics.
Haven't tried this soulution yet
But it's a "hack", more than a real solution, in my opinion.
Still an issue. Even with Frodo RC1, with the new audio-engine, I've read. Haven't upgraded to RC1 myself...to much mysql, too many clients, to close to christmas...I'll report back.

Todo:
Power consumption - Kill-A-Watt test. -
When Idle, XBMC running, 25 w. Playing a movie (720/1080p) with VAAPI, 22 w. Shutting down XBMC, 19,8 w.
Mysql setup and thumbnails-sync tips. This This should be automated in Frodo, great!
More todo's? You tell me, I probably forgot something.

Some pictures from the build. No one was hurt building, and the chocolate is still alive...well, some of it.

Yep! It's that freakin' small! With adult fingers, you've got to have some patience, but it's doable.

great looking build....hopefully you get all he quirks worked out!
WE ALL WE GOT

And it's stuffed Smile
CoreELEC 19.3
LG OLED CX 65 - Yamaha RX-V775 . Dali Opticon 6.
(2012-05-08, 22:41)bigdog66 Wrote: great looking build....hopefully you get all he quirks worked out!

Thanks bigdog66. I hopefully will kill these quirks, C.Norris/J.Bauer style Wink
CoreELEC 19.3
looks awesome! Do you know the height of the stock CPU fan. I'm wanting to build a similar system but hoping to fit it into the ISK-110
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Good job morfeus...!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
@charlie0440 - The CPU cooler knowledge, is my weak point. I'm not an expert, or near that.
The stock-cooler is _really_ small. I think it will fit. If the Big shuriken will fit in a Antec ISK 300-65 case, then the stock i3 cooler, will definitely fit in a ISK-110 build.
Just remember, not to block the PCIe x16, if you'r gonna use it, or in the future.
CoreELEC 19.3
(2012-05-08, 23:39)charlie0440 Wrote: looks awesome! Do you know the height of the stock CPU fan. I'm wanting to build a similar system but hoping to fit it into the ISK-110
Check out this post "Build Update!".......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
@bluray - thanks Smile So glad for your help/input, that made this build possible Smile

@charlie0440 - I hoped that bluray or Beer with hands on experience would chip in, and it happened Wink
CoreELEC 19.3
morfeus FTW!

Thank you for this post and pics....

Enjoy!
thanks for these pics!
fantastic build!
congratz!!

Nice SSD choice!
Samsung SSD's are reviewed as Rock Solid and Fast!
14sec boot is insane Smile
(2012-05-09, 02:29)eskro Wrote: thanks for these pics!
fantastic build!
congratz!!

Nice SSD choice!
Samsung SSD's are reviewed as Rock Solid and Fast!
14sec boot is insane Smile

I tried to tell you eskro about those samsung ssd's lol
WE ALL WE GOT
the SAMSUNG 830 is listed in my HTPC guide for quite awhile now Tongue

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...#pid723742
hi morpheus and congratulation with your build.

I have this kind of setup too and i am facing a strange issue with vdpau and xbmc on intel plathorm with ubuntu 12.04 (everything work fine with 11.10)

the issue is : no video with vdpau and xbmc freeze when stop the playback : http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12970

Do you have this kind of issue?

thanks
@gerardpuducul - Thanks. Haven't had this issue.
VAAPI works great here. I used alanwww1's guide .
Installed the packages, and used the xorg.conf from that guide.
Try installing/upgrading thoose packages in the guide, maybee you are missing one.
Also remember the xorg.conf - Maybee the driver isn't loaded correct?
Personally, I'm not good friends with xorg, so I used alanwww1's conf without editing Smile
(except changing HDMI number).
CoreELEC 19.3

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
i3 build, with guide/tips (mostly linux)0