Buffering During Writes to Unraid??
Hi Guys,

I have a high end HTPC (one of Eskro's recommends) combined with an Unraid server -- via Ethernet connection.

Everything streams perfectly -- including Planet Earth -- except during simultaneous writes to the server.

I've tried adding a Cache drive to the server, but that hasn't solved it.

Is this normal, or is there something I can do to prevent playback buffering during writes to the server?

Thanks,

Owen
Are the writes taking place from the network to the cache drive or from the cache drive to the array? Writes from the cache drive to the array should only be occurring at specified times (I think mine is daily at 3:00AM).
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
Hello Newoski,

1. When writing you your UNRAID server, are you writing to a top level share? Or to a specific disk?
2. Are you using High-Water?
3. Are the writes that you are doing, writing to the same drive that you are trying to read from?
4. Is your network and all network devices between your UNRAID array, and HTPC,100mbps, or 1gbps?

What's the ethernet chipset on the unRAID server? Realtek=bad

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...ic=12559.0
Hey Live4ever,

So I just built my unraid server, and did not know about this issue. So i checked my motherboard and it is indeed using the Realtek 8111E. At current I have transfered about 5 Terabytes to the unraid server and have not had any issues. I am using Beta 14, though and the people having issues in that thread were all running beta 10 or lower. Hopefully I will not have any problems, but I will keep this in mind if I start to have some.

I have heard but not tested that having a dedicated ethernet card is better, as they have higher throughput and a dedicated processor to process ethernet packets. In any case, It's an easy fix to disable an onboard NIC and pop in an ethernet card, so that's a good thing.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Adding a Cache drive completely solved my issue -- once I ENABLED the Cache drive for each Share.

I missed that step the first time.

Happy as a clam now!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering During Writes to Unraid??0