audio codecs and win direct play
Hi,

Can XBMC use direct play as a codec plug in for audio?

Here's what I am thinking....

ATRAC files can be played in Windows by Winamp if you install an ATRAC player like SonicStage and then tell Winamp to use direct play to play *.oma files
Can we do the same, somehow, with XBMC for windows?

Cheers
No. XBMC uses it's own codecs or ffmpeg's. If you have an obscure format like that - either convert it (ATRACHuh why?) or find a converter that hooks into DirectSound and use DirectSound from within XBMC

I'll add that XBMC can be set to using external players if you *really* want ATRAC - search the wiki for external player setup.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Why ATRAC?
Well, in my tests, I've never found a better small file format for quality.
Granted, there may be better ones around, but I really like the sound @32kb/s. I reckon it compares favorably with 256kb/s MP3

Anyway it would save a lot of re-ripping.

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at that in the wiki.

Ideally i'd like it to be seamless in XBMC like it is for me in winamp. thats the aim anyway.

cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
audio codecs and win direct play0