[Windows] Once and for all, is Windows XP compatible with MS eHome Driver?
Question 
I have received several PM's & Emails telling me that Windows XP with no matter what service packs or Rollup updates is installed it is just not compatible with Microsoft's MCE RC6 Remote controls "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" Driver. It wont install automatically and if installed manually it will not work.

As I do not use Windows XP it does not matter what I think, I can not confirm their claims and cant verfiy their procedures.

I will be greatfull if people can post detailed feedback about this issue once and for all, and not just "Yes MCE remotes are compatible with Win XP".

1- Can tell us what did you do to make it work, what remote/IR receiver are using?
2- how did you install it?
3- what drivers did you use and post links to working drivers if possible, or contact me for a host?
4- If no external drivers are used, what service pack do you have? Did you install any Rollup drivers?

I will also be interested to hear from people struggling to make MCE remotes work in Windows XP. Please tell us what remote/IR reciver are you using and what steps did you take but its still not working.

I just want this thread to be helpful for any one struggling with MCE remotes under Windows XP, and for everyone to know how to do it if it really works.

Thanks all,
EG.
I know that the remote works out of the box on XP media center edition 2005 as I used the remote afew years back on it without any issues.
Every eHome receiver I've connected to XP Pro SP2 and SP3 has been detected and installed automatically. This includes the official Microsoft receiver, a Dell rebadged version of the MS receiver and two HP receivers.

JR
Thanks for the feedback, I totally trust you guys.

More positive posts are welcome and I'm really interested to hear from people with issues. Why are they having trouble? Its just a Plug and Play system nothing complicated! unless of course they have a cheap clone or a faulty product, then that would explain their issues. Does WinXP not support "Consumer HID" Drivers for cheap clones like Win7 does?

Kind Regards,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:Why are using IR server suite?

If you use my setup you do not have to use IRSS. If you want to use IRSS then you do not need my setup at all, anyways I can't help with helper apps sorry.

EDIT: If you want to know what your buttons send, then just use Showkey.exe and post the results here and will see what I can do.

Cheers,
EG.

That's a good question, I know.. but without IR Server when I have updated registry, overwrite the keyboard.xml file.. remote was dead in windows and xbmc.. I have Windows XP SP3 what I guess changes a bit the conditions. I have decided to use http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=36936 and according to this I have managed to have remote active in xbmc (without top menu buttons) and get XBMC start from Green Button via transaltor (part of IR Server)

I can try to kill IR Server and Translator today but I am afraid then my remote won't act at all again.

Maybe I am missing something?

I have bought recommended remote. Windows itself wasnt able to find drivers for eHome Infrared Receiver automatically so I have tried to use Update Rollup 2 for Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (as recommended.. even tho I have Windows XP Pro SP3) but system has denied that operation by saying that I posses newer files already in my system.. ok then.. finally I have installed drivers for eHome Infrared Receiver manually by pointing on manufacurer (Microsoft) and product.. I got warning that these drivers are not signed (bla, bla) and I got it installed. What happened later is adding your registry and keyboard.xml files and suprise that remote doesn't work.. and showkey.exe.. showed.. nothing.. so I have decided to follow above link and get IR Server..

Please let me know if you know any way to bypass IR Server.

Thanks.
please let us know what remote/IR receiver are you using?

cheers,
EG.
The HP receiver and remote I have didn't get recognised under XP Pro SP3 I had to edit the irbus.inf after that it was recognised but still didn't work
>>X<<' Wrote:The HP receiver and remote I have didn't get recognised under XP Pro SP3 I had to edit the irbus.inf after that it was recognised but still didn't work

@EliteGamer360: I've heard it said that the HP receiver sometimes doesn't work on XP, and there is an article describing the problem at http://it.megocollector.com/?p=8, however my two HP receivers do work on XP Pro SP2 and SP3. It's possible there are different versions of the HP remote out there.

JR
Yeah that's the guide I followed and it was recognised after but it still didn't work
jhsrennie Wrote:@EliteGamer360: I've heard it said that the HP receiver sometimes doesn't work on XP, and there is an article describing the problem at http://it.megocollector.com/?p=8, however my two HP receivers do work on XP Pro SP2 and SP3. It's possible there are different versions of the HP remote out there.JR

There's a newer "Vista" one (smaller silver no HP writing on top) I've heard not to work with XP (even with the rollup fixes).

But to be sure you'd have to get the IDs from Device Manager for the ones that work. I have both somewhere (the "Vista" one is misplaced currently though).
elitegamer360 Wrote:please let us know what remote/IR receiver are you using?

cheers,
EG.

The one recommended - http://www.maplin.co.uk/windows-media-ce...rol-218643
Another interesting thing I have just discovered yesterday is that the Green Button, I have setup in Translator to open XBMC.. is as well starting up my XBOX 360 console..

funny.. same frequency I guess.. had to power off my xbox 360 Smile
Hey balast, can you please try your remote in another system. I just want to rule out faulty hardware! If it does Not work in another system then just return it to maplian and tell them that it does not work and ask for replacement or a refund, they will be abe to give you what you want.

Try a system other than windows xp if possible. If it works in windows 7 for example then it's windows XP lacking the proper support, you might want to upgrade your OS if possible.

To Stop the Green Start button from Starting the XBOX 360, Do this:

1- Start XBOX 360
2- System Settings
3- Console Settings
4- Remote Control
5- Select "Xbox 360 Media Remote" will stop the MCE remote from functioning with the XBOX 360. If you want it to work again for some reason just select "Both Remotes".

Cheers,
EG.
(2011-02-07, 10:58)balast Wrote: The one recommended - http://www.maplin.co.uk/windows-media-ce...rol-218643

What is the product code or brand? IS this a Microsoft remote? Is this available on ebay or amazon?
HP remote (RC6, newer model, got it with HP pavilion),
WinXP home edition SP3,
I used this procedure:

1) download the Windows Update "Update Rollup 2 for eHome Infrared Receiver for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (KB912024)" from microsoft.
2) run the downloaded executable. When the Hotfix install wizard appears on the screen... STOP!! do not continue with the installation wizard.
3) run notepad, and open the file named kb912024.log that is located in your windows system directory (usually c:\windows\).
4) on the fourth line of this file you will find the path to the update executable (ie: c:\0d5602f37f532d2198a162164df6\update\update.exe).
5) open Windows and navigate to the root of this path (ie: c:\0d5602f37f532d2198a162164df6). There you will find SP2QFE. Navigate to this directory.
6) in the SP2QPE directory you will find the irbus.sys file. In the "ip" directory will contain the irbus.inf file.
7) copy these two files to a temporary directory of your choice.
8) go back to the Hotfix install wizard and select CANCEL. The wizard will ask if you are sure... answer yes. The wizard will clean up after itself.
9) you now have the native Microsoft eHome receiver drivers needed to install your MCE compatible remote.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] Once and for all, is Windows XP compatible with MS eHome Driver?0