• 14(current)
[AudioEngine] Support for AE on Windows platform
Would be nice to know what is going on indeed, and that issues like the fact that AAC isn't being processed correctly (audio discontinuity) are being looked into. I have been told that there is more than one dev working on AE but it would seem that non of them are looking at this thread at all.
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
(2012-08-11, 15:39)Death-Axe Wrote: Would be nice to know what is going on indeed, and that issues like the fact that AAC isn't being processed correctly (audio discontinuity) are being looked into. I have been told that there is more than one dev working on AE but it would seem that non of them are looking at this thread at all.

Maybe there are more important issues to be looked at atm.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Hi all,

since I'm also suffering from the freeze if playing music over a wasapi output I had a look at the code and the git log today.
The commit causing this issue seems to be https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/8ac5...ab24a092eb .
In particular the changes made in AESinkWASAPI.cpp.

I made a patch based on revision f2fd68ed03454885ca1b70c39f94cac51509d5ae : http://pastebin.com/7dtqAcnD .
It reverts GetDelay() and GetCacheTime() to the behavior before the above mentioned commit.

I hope this is useful for some of you.

ace
GetCacheTime better follow the API and return the amount of time that is buffered and not the amount of time remaining in the buffer before it fills. If not, then that patch is wrong.
I'm sure you are right! This is only ment to be a workaround.

As I'm totally unfamiliar with AE, I just reverted the code fragment to what it was before that particular commit.
Now the audio is played without any problems.

Before I reverted it, I got (sooner or later) an access violation at:
Code:
XBMC.exe!CAESinkWASAPI::AddPackets(unsigned char * data, unsigned int frames, bool hasAudio)  Line 441

Line 441: hr = m_pRenderClient->GetBuffer(NumFramesRequested, &buf);

in the CSoftAE thread,
while the PAPlayer thread is at:
Code:
XBMC.exe!CAESinkWASAPI::GetCacheTime()  Line 344

Line 344: HRESULT hr = m_pAudioClient->GetCurrentPadding(&numPaddingFrames);

@davilla

As you suggested, I had a look at the WASAPI. It states that the latency retrieved by GetStreamLatency(...) is expressed in 100-nanosecond units.(GetStreamLatency).

In the current code there is comment that GetCacheTotal() returns a duration in seconds, the conversion is done by
Code:
/** returns buffer duration in seconds */
  return hnsLatency / 10.0;

In my opinion the correct conversion is
Code:
/** returns buffer duration in seconds */
/** hnsLatency is given in 100 ns steps, conversion to seconds:  div by  10000000*/
  return hnsLatency / 10000000.0;

I successfully played two flac files, but had no time to test more.

EDIT: In the meantime I had. The access violation still persists. Now it happens within minutes rather than seconds. However, the above is valid, I think.

ace
What could be more important that sound and video in a media player?
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
(2012-08-13, 19:19)Death-Axe Wrote: What could be more important that sound and video in a media player?

I'm not even gonna answer to such a question.
There are reasons.

Besides that It is working perfectly for me so maybe you are only of the few that it isn't working for
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Evening all Smile
So, I'm still running the Daniela HD Audio Patch using the xbmc 12 April frodo alpha build.

I'm looking to move over to AE, can anyone confirm the most stable AE version to date?
Are there many mprovmnt over the HD audio patch, for win users?
How stable, compared to the frodo alpha with HD audio patch is AE?
Will my skins, plugins and remotes etc still run well on AE?

Does AE improve th overall general sound quality of normal mp3 etc, noticeably?

He you guys can fill me in, I'm lagging behind this summer Big Grin
the last stable ae nightly i use is XBMCSetup-20120707-4d1bbd6-master. every newer build makes errors.
cheers
(2012-08-14, 08:49)PatrickBateman Wrote: Evening all Smile
So, I'm still running the Daniela HD Audio Patch using the xbmc 12 April frodo alpha build.

I'm looking to move over to AE, can anyone confirm the most stable AE version to date?
Are there many mprovmnt over the HD audio patch, for win users?
How stable, compared to the frodo alpha with HD audio patch is AE?
Will my skins, plugins and remotes etc still run well on AE?

Does AE improve th overall general sound quality of normal mp3 etc, noticeably?

He you guys can fill me in, I'm lagging behind this summer Big Grin

The nightly's have a bug in AE, so i'm back to using the latest 'snapshot', (Alpha 3) which I have no troubles with.

click

(2012-08-11, 13:08)thrak76 Wrote: I'm still using the Frodo Alpha 3 build, and really have had very little problems. AudioEngine works fine in that build. I'm patient enough to wait for work to resume on AudioEngine, and just like jjd-uk said, once the push moves toward the betas and then official release, all will be addressed.

Same, rolled back to Alpha 3 after finding out MP3 playback in Alpha 4 was hosed when using WASAPI
(2012-08-13, 19:29)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-08-13, 19:19)Death-Axe Wrote: What could be more important that sound and video in a media player?

I'm not even gonna answer to such a question.
There are reasons.

Besides that It is working perfectly for me so maybe you are only of the few that it isn't working for

Since Frodo Alpha 3 MP3 playback crashes XBMC on a Windows machine that's configured to bitstream while working fine on another one that uses analog.
I tried Frodo Alpha 4 for a few hours today.

Failed playback a few times, and failure of audio resume after pausing. Unsatisfactory for now, so I'm back on Alpha 3. Oh well. I was looking forward to trying out the Movie tagging.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
Hey,
Thanks for the feedback. So the general consensus is that Alpha 3 (why can't I say that without sounding like the announcer from Street Fighter) Smile

So in general (before I take the plunge)
Will this be as good/stable/compatible etc as Danielas build? I know it's gonna have bugs, I know alphas are not stable, but Danielas is a dev build at it was pretty rock solid.

Is alpha 3 relativly stable for basic movie watching, plugin streaming (rev3 etc) and basic day to day duties... I'm not expecting to hook up home automation or anything fancy Smile just movie watching with full HD audio Smile

Thank agin in and thanks for the info, if it's stable enough I'll pop it on my main HTPC (9.2) and will report back any bugs/issues I encounter (if any) I'm just slightly hesitant (hence the questions) as AE is only really needed on my main HTPC as its hooked up the AVR etc... So as its my main player and not a test bed, I don't wanna take too many risks Smile

Thanks again,
Truly appreciated!
Yeah, it's stable enough. Very few problems for me. An occasional hang once in a while. I don't run a ton of addons, but BlueCop's addons work fine for me, as do most of the official repo ones I use (except XWMM Sad ).
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AudioEngine] Support for AE on Windows platform4