• 9(current)
[AudioEngine] Support for AE on Windows platform
HD 5450 and Onkyo receiver. Has anybody got this combo to work on XBMC and could give me a few pointers? I've tried all the new drivers after uninstalling etc. I've also tried most of the newer builds. I simply get no sound and a drastic slow down in the video playing and it sometimes freezes; the same symptoms I see many are having. I know that my receiver works with DTS-HD as I've used it with stand alone devices just fine. Thanks for any help!
My brother's XBMC system emits an interference-like buzz noise when playing DVD ISOs-- never happens with AVIs, MKVs, MP4s, etc., only ISOs. The noise is very short (~1 sec.) and occurs at random intervals-- usually 5-10 minutes between occurrences. It doesn't seem to be tied to chapter markers or specific spots in ISOs.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=4016

In the above linked debug log, I started XBMC and played his ISO of Thor. Within 30 seconds, the noise occurred. A couple seconds later, I hit stop and exited XBMC. This is the first time I've posted a log, so if I need to post further logs or do something different, just let me know. This bug (if that's indeed what it is) has been happening on this PC since at least the pre-Eden nightlies (before AE landing) and it's not that big of a deal, but I wanted to finally report it.
(2012-06-24, 01:35)emailcraigs Wrote: HD 5450 and Onkyo receiver. Has anybody got this combo to work on XBMC and could give me a few pointers? I've tried all the new drivers after uninstalling etc. I've also tried most of the newer builds. I simply get no sound and a drastic slow down in the video playing and it sometimes freezes; the same symptoms I see many are having. I know that my receiver works with DTS-HD as I've used it with stand alone devices just fine. Thanks for any help!
Yes I had (upgraded to 5670)

Try the following and see what happens, but really just posting I have this, what is wrong isn't going to get the help you need most of the time, certainly from the devs, who's eye you really want to catch - have a look here for future ref http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708.

Back to your problem though, make sure you have "Use a fullscreen window rather than a true fullscreen" disabled (XBMC System\System\Video Output). Also check under XBMC System\System\Audio Output that both the 'Audio Output Device and Passthrough Output Device are set to WASAPI and that providing your Onkyo is a capable receiver that the output settings are correctly set see below

Without more specific information much of this is speculation, but hope it helps. Forgot to add these are based on one of the nighlty builds to include the Audio Engine build.
OK, I got this worked out. It has to do with the EDIDs of components. Apparently ONKYO 5.1 AVRs have issues with handshaking with other components. I downloaded an INF file from the following page....applied it and voila. My sound settings came out right and now I can bitstream DTS-HD from XBMC. I would suggest anyone having problems with XBMC bitstreaming try the advive on the following webpage:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1227161/edid-o...-ati-5xxxs

This says specifically for 5xxx but the EDID problem could affect anybody.
(2012-06-24, 21:16)emailcraigs Wrote: OK, I got this worked out. It has to do with the EDIDs of components. Apparently ONKYO 5.1 AVRs have issues with handshaking with other components. I downloaded an INF file from the following page....applied it and voila. My sound settings came out right and now I can bitstream DTS-HD from XBMC. I would suggest anyone having problems with XBMC bitstreaming try the advive on the following webpage:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1227161/edid-o...-ati-5xxxs

This says specifically for 5xxx but the EDID problem could affect anybody.

Thanks for the information, I'm finally able to to bitstream HD audio to my receiver! I've got a 6850 so it's clearly not limited to the 5xxx series, as you said the issue seems to lie with Onkyo 5.1 systems.
(2012-06-18, 09:16)Voyager-xbmc Wrote: hi everyone - I'm just confirming this observation on a Zotac AD04 (E-450 APU). I've had the same issue with several progressive PAL DVD movies (25.00 fps) that have AC-3 tracks. I'm using AE with WASAPI, Digital output (S/PDIF) 5.1 channels. Playback synced to display - audio clock. Receiver is AC3 and DTS capable. With deinterlacing turned off, I expect 25.00 output fps precisely. The funny thing is that I'm constantly getting lots of framedrops and the output rate "bouncing" around the 25 mark. The log file displays a lot of discontinuity errors.
I can "solve" the problem in one of two ways:
1) turn on deinterlacing, which doubles the output framerate to 50 fps.
2) set the audio output device to DirectSound

Bump... any thoughts on why WASAPI would cause choppy DVD playback over S/PDIF(5.1) while DirectSound does play fine?
Since I've sourced a compatible PS3 I have started backing up my SACD collection to ISO format. The multi channel FLACs (from 88.2kHz PCM) are playing well in xbmc through AE and WASAPI. Except for one (so far), that is! The Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" SACD is in a 5.0 surround format, rather than the usual 5.1 - it plays back fine using Foobar and WASAPI on my AMD Fusion system, but the xbmc code seems to do a capability check on the WASAPI sink before attempting to play and it fails that check and xbmc tries alternatives but fails also. Seems to be an issue of the number of channels being 5 rather than 6. If I change the settings in xbmc to Directsound it plays ok, but obviously transcodes to a standard 44.1kHz sample rate which sort of defeats the purpose of HD audio. Snip of log attached, but I can post the full log if this is a new issue for investigation. If it's an existing, known, issue could someone kindly point me to the relevant thread?

Code:
4:25:37 T:1048   DEBUG: CFileCache::Open - opening <C:\transfers\Miles Davis\Kind Of Blue (SACD 5.0)\01 - So What.flac> using cache
14:25:37 T:3732  NOTICE: Thread CFileCache start, auto delete: false
14:25:37 T:1048    INFO: AudioDecoder: File is queued
14:25:37 T:1048    INFO: CSoftAE::MakeStream - AE_FMT_S24NE3, 88200, FL,FR,FC,BL,BR
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: CSoftAE::Run - Sink restart flagged
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: CAESinkWASAPI::IsCompatible: Formats Incompatible due to different :Channels:Sample Rates
14:25:37 T:392    INFO: CSoftAE::InternalOpenSink - sink incompatible, re-starting
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: CAESinkWASAPI::Initialize: Initializing WASAPI Sink Rev. 1.0.5
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: CAESinkWASAPI::InitializeExclusive: Checking IsFormatSupported with the following parameters:
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Sample Rate     : 88200
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Sample Format   : AE_FMT_FLOAT
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Bits Per Sample : 32
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Valid Bits/Samp : 24
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Channel Count   : 5
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Block Align     : 20
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Avg. Bytes Sec  : 1764000
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Samples/Block   : 24
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Format cBSize   : 22
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Channel Layout  : FL,FR,FC,BL,BR
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Channel Mask    : 55
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   SubFormat       : KSDATAFORMAT_SUBTYPE_PCM
14:25:37 T:392   ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::InitializeExclusive: IsFormatSupported failed (AUDCLNT_E_UNSUPPORTED_FORMAT) - trying to find a compatible format
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: WASAPI: Trying Sample Format    : AE_FMT_FLOAT
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: WASAPI: Trying Sample Rate      : 384000
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: WASAPI: Trying Bits/Sample      : 32
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: WASAPI: Trying Valid Bits/Sample: 32
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: WASAPI: Trying Sample Rate      : 192000
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: WASAPI: Trying Valid Bits/Sample: 32
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: WASAPI: Trying Sample Rate      : 176400
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: WASAPI: Trying Valid Bits/Sample: 32 ..........etc etc...
I have found another issue with the AE code when playing multichannel FLAC audio files. If I start playing an album, xbmc recognises the format (usually 6 channel, 24 bit at 88.2kHz) and sets the WASAPI sink accordingly. If I leave the album play through normally all is ok. However, if I use the up and down arrow keys on my remote in order to skip to a specific track, xbmc will sometimes determine that there has been a change in the number of audio channels or sampling rate and will initialise the WASAPI sink back to 44.1kHz, two channels momentarily, then re-initialise WASAPI back to 88.2kHz, six channels and play the song. This cause a "click" in the relay on my Onkyo AVR and sometimes results in the first milliseconds of the song being missed. This does not happen on stereo (2.0) FLACs, only multichannel (5.1) and then only sometimes. Foobar on the same machine does not exhibit this WASAPI re-initialisation problem at all.

Navigating through a 2.0 FLAC version (176kHz) of David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust.. does not provoke any issues with sound format switching. However, the 5.1 version (88.2kHz) works for a while without incident, then I play part of track 10 starting at 13:17:48, then press the down arrow repeatedly to navigate to track 11, 1, 2, 3 etc back to 10 at 13:17:59. T:3092 detects a change in format (don't know why!) and re-initialises back to default 44.1kHz, then back to 88.2kHz and starts playing the song at 13:18:01. There is a "click" on the relay on my AVR at this pont. At no stage during the switching between tracks did I press the STOP key. Only at 13:18:11 did I press STOP and navigate away from the album.

I've attached a link to a debug log - http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=4281
I keep getting "CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity" errors in my log file, video is juddering making stuff unwatchable. My threads on this keep getting ignored so I guess I'll post in here.

Happening on both direct sound and wasapi settings, with synch to display etc on or off. Is this even being looked into?
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
My post about it is here:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=134351

It's only doing it through coax/spdif. When I switch to speakers (my headphones are connected via 3.5mm in the PC) the videos play fine without that error and without juddering.

So for some reason AE doesn't like the surround system, or it has issues outputting vis optical.
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
(2012-07-01, 04:04)Death-Axe Wrote: My post about it is here:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=134351

It's only doing it through coax/spdif. When I switch to speakers (my headphones are connected via 3.5mm in the PC) the videos play fine without that error and without juddering.

So for some reason AE doesn't like the surround system, or it has issues outputting vis optical.

Are you using a monitor or TV to watch the movies? How is it connected? I read through your pasted log file and could see that your display is set to an odd resolution and frame rate which does not match normal HD resolutions of 1920x1080 @ 24/25/30/50/60 framerate. It's always best to have your display capable of handling the resolution and framerate natively, rather than have the software trying to modify the data "on the fly".
Code:
DEBUG: CGUIInfoManager::SetCurrentMovie(I:\Movies (High Def)\21 Jump Street [2012]\21 Jump Street [2012].mkv)
19:10:10 T:2312  NOTICE:  fps: 23.976024, pwidth: 1920, pheight: 816, dwidth: 1920, dheight: 816
19:10:10 T:2312   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerVideo::OutputPicture - change configuration. 1920x816. framerate: 23.98. format: DXVA
19:10:10 T:2312   DEBUG: Resolution 1360x768 @ 60.00 - Full Screen (12) not a very good match for fps 23.976 (weight: 0.166), trying 2:3 cadence
19:10:10 T:2312  NOTICE: Display resolution ADJUST : 1360x768 @ 60.00 - Full Screen (12) (weight: 0.001)
19:10:10 T:2312  NOTICE: D3D: rendering method forced to DXVA2 processor
19:10:10 T:2312  NOTICE: DXVA: Auto deinterlacing mode workaround activated. Deinterlacing processor will be used only for interlaced frames.

That said, you say there is no issue with earlier versions - why not stick with them or with Eden code? Your display and sound setup can't handle full HD video and sound in any case. You need an HDMI connection (video and sound) to a suitable AVR and TV display to get the full benefit. The S/PDIF (coax or optical) can only handle two channel audio (or compressed DD or DTS) or if you are using the speaker jacks all the decoding will be done by the sound card anyway.

Don't misunderstand my answer please - the AE builds are (as I understand) experimental nightlies. However, they should support (in time) all configurations of kit. It's just that you seemed to be demanding an immediate fix in the other thread. I'm sure the devs will read all posts and will incorporate fixes as time goes on. I'm not having any particular difficulties with the basic sound and video capabilities of the AE nightlies as I have a fully HD capable chain of equipment through my AVR and TV. You are obviously being affected by somewhat "bleeding edge" code.
Will there be Dolby ProLogic IIx decoding in future releases?
Well for one I didn't ask for your opinion on my setup. You keep spouting about HDMI, but like many; my sound system is of modest value and does not support HDMI.

I do get the full benefits of sound, dolby digital and DTS are nice formats in which my speaker system does decode and sounds beautiful. I have never experienced HD sound, but I seriously doubt the human ear can tell the difference despite what people claim.

As for AE, it is designed to do anything audio related and should not only be geared toward HDMI. Spdif is a very popular connection used by a lot of people, and AE should be supporting it better.

As for my TV setup, that is the native resolution of my TV it is a modest "HD ready" TV; a few years old now and does indeed have an odd resolution. I have tried setting it to 1080p but the resulting picture looks a little odd.

As for older builds, the odd thing is the one I was using has started dropping frames like the builds after, no idea why.

As I said, it only does this when using the optical out. If I set it to wasapi speakers which I have my headphones connected it plays it fine. So obviously AE has some compatibility issues that need fixing ASAP.
And to add, It's not will all audio formats. For example ghost in the shell series I have uses AAC 5.1 and has frame drops. Movies with DTS though no frame drops.

An anime I have uses ogg and is mono has frame drops. All with that discontinuity error.

But on speakers mode (analogue headphones) works fine.
so far I'm only getting it with DVDs when interlacing is OFF. Also, funnily enough I'm only experiencing it on my AMD E-450-based HTPC. When I try the same test on my Core i7/nVidia GT240 workstation, it's fine.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AudioEngine] Support for AE on Windows platform4