Pico PSU advice
(2012-05-14, 03:57)CpTHOOK Wrote:
(2012-05-14, 03:51)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Honestly, if it's below 70C and it's quiet then who cares Smile. I used to think everything had to be as close to ambient temperature as possible. Going small you need to change your expectations and learn not to worry. Relax, don't worry, have a quiet machine Smile.

+1
aftermarket cooling options = placebo medicine for paranoid HTPC'n! If the stock HSF is quiet enough, then SAVE THAT CHEESE!

if your mobo has somewhat features that let you tweak your stock cooler's FAN speed,
thats one thing,
but try to tweak your CPU Fan speed on a gigabyte motherboard.
good luck.
not even easyTune or SPeedFan works.
(2012-05-14, 04:27)Beer40oz Wrote: Why are you starting to hate Hook? it's the truth that an aftermarket is way better then stock, Lower noise, cooler etc....

I meant no disrespect OG... But I am speaking from personal experience on a build that I copied off you. While I need to be careful not to go off topic from the OP, I will tell XBMC'rs specific to your build that an aftermarket cooler is NOT needed with regards to noise and temps. I will also repeat that my temps are between 34c-45c under normal room temps which is quite normal. When I first finished build I posted higher temps in a video, but once I launched the ASRock extreme tuner, temps have dropped significantly.

.....I would never hate on you OG, not only do I respect your choices, but I believe you are one of the most thoughtful member of this message board!

relajar carnal'Wink
Ok... I guess I will have to try the stock cooler one day.

Like I have said if you have not tried it then you have no proof..... only what you read but is it the truth.......
Aight.....

(all my AMD coolers are noisey, it may be they changed them on the Lllano series)

Then keep stock save some doh..... but if your like aftermarket then its a go!

Eres Loco.....
CpTHOOK when I update my post I will take your word from your personal experience.....

If you could please send me your CPUID HM readings so I can post later.... (send me a Print Screen please) hope you can do this when your room is 80F
One screen for when its idle and one when you are playing a 1080P vid.....

Thanx for your kind words!
I actually posted temps running a 1080p vid here but not using CPUID.. I was going to ask you guys about why CPUID would not display my CPU temps. It display everything else ... But not CPU temps, so I uninstalled it and now use the ASRock extreme tuner to monitor my temps. I even tried speed fan, but those temps were way outta wack. Speed fan had my CPU temps down at like 20c-25c... I know full well those were not at all accurate
(2012-05-14, 03:51)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Honestly, if it's below 70C and it's quiet then who cares Smile. I used to think everything had to be as close to ambient temperature as possible. Going small you need to change your expectations and learn not to worry. Relax, don't worry, have a quiet machine Smile.

Having said this, understand it's meant to be a personal choice. I personally find the stock HSFs too noisy, especially for desktop usage. I always replace them -- Intel or AMD. I even think the Shiruken is too noisy for my desktop Smile. However, someone else might not mind. That's why I say to give what comes with the processor a try first and then decide if it's too noisy for you, your environment, your usage, etc. Maybe 10' away in your cabinet you don't hear it or maybe you do. Fool around with the BIOS settings and see if it gets better. Try these and learn what you hear before dropping coin.

Everyone has a different notion about what's "noisy". It's very subjective.
I'm speaking from personal experiences too.....I didn't believe my ears at first and I pulled out the meter.....the tests showed that there is no problem with noise using OEM CPU/case fans at seating area, and there is no problem with temp either. I selected "Cool N Quiet" option and set CPU/case fans level to 3 in the bios.......here are the tests:

page #36
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I built my htpc with a Lian Li which I posted here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128867

Not sure if I'll have the clearance for the big shuriken, I'll measure it properly when I have the time to put the pico in.

After me worrying about the p4 connection and buying a molex to p4 adaptor, the pico was delivered with one. So, if anyone wants one for free just pm me (have to pay postage)
FWIW, I had a taller CPU cooler in my PC-Q09 and because of the way the vents are at the top, there was a lot of noise from the air being sucked into the holes.
(2012-05-14, 22:56)Dougie Fresh Wrote: FWIW, I had a taller CPU cooler in my PC-Q09 and because of the way the vents are at the top, there was a lot of noise from the air being sucked into the holes.
For it to generate airflow noises, your CPU cooler must have spin at very high RPM then. You might want to lower fan level in bios to keep RPM slightly lower. It should reduce airflow noise. You might want to consider installing some silent case fans too. It'll help keep the box cooler, which will help keep CPU fan spining slower too....just a thought!

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I just received my PICOPSU-160-XT to be used with a 120W (12V 10A) power brick.

However, I seriously doubt the PicoPSU DC Jack (Female 2.5mm 5.5mm) can handle > 5A. The one attached to the detachable harness looks really "cheap" compared to the ones I have from DigiKey.

For example, these from DigiKey can handle 5A and are constructed way better :

SC1048-ND
http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/...-ND/109407

SC1150-ND
http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/...-ND/241926

SC1390-ND
http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/...ND/2238433

So the question is how safe is it to use the provided DC Jack on the picoPSU ?

Should we be concerned about exceeding the 5A rating on the DC Jack ?

(2012-05-11, 04:02)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I'd read somewhere that the max amperage rating on the 2.5mm*5.5mm jack was 8.5A. I will try to find the information again. A 120W 12V adapter would be 10A so that would exceed the spec for the jack and possibly create a hazard (melt? fire?). If I can find it I'll post it.

[Edit]
Found it. "Input current should not exceed 8A. For current higher loads, we suggest using a 2x2 mini-FIT JR as an input connector." It's actually in the 150W picoPSU manual and it's talking about the wiring harness with the 2.5mm*5.5mm barrel jack. So, maybe it's 8A, not 8.5A which I'd assumed since the largest single pin AC adapter they sell is 102W.

http://resources.mini-box.com/online/PWR...manual.pdf

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pico PSU advice0