XBMCbuntu - Can someone clarify statement from xbmc web page?
Hello,

This was a statement made here

...The user may now toggle between XBMC, which auto-starts, and a normal desktop if he or she chooses. And, perhaps most exciting for many users, XBMC will now be upgradeable, both from command line and from the GUI package manager, without fear of crashing the XBMC experience...

1 - How is toggling between xbmc and the desktop achieved?? (Or is this achieved via the "Exit xbmc"...get the login screen...enter details....and presto you're there??)

2 - How to you upgrade to the latest [Linux] version (or nightlies) via command line AND/OR the GUI package manager?? (what is the GUI Package Manager?? Is this in the desktop?) - can the latest linux nightlies be dropped into a folder like on Windows??

ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
1. Exit xbmc"...get the login screen...enter details....and presto you're there

2. sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade in a desktop terminal
(2012-05-11, 09:10)lcapriotti Wrote: 1. Exit xbmc"...get the login screen...enter details....and presto you're there

Thx for this. I figured it would probably be the answer.

Would certainly be nice if you could just drop xbmc inside a folder like Windoze and would make upgrading/trying nightly builds so much easier.
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
(2012-05-12, 00:26)KidKiwi Wrote:
(2012-05-11, 09:10)lcapriotti Wrote: 1. Exit xbmc"...get the login screen...enter details....and presto you're there

Thx for this. I figured it would probably be the answer.

Would certainly be nice if you could just drop xbmc inside a folder like Windoze and would make upgrading/trying nightly builds so much easier.

You have to switch the session on the login screen (dropdown in the bottom left of the box) to XBMCbuntu. Once you are in, you can access the Synaptic Package Manager through the menu.

If you want the latest XBMC builds, I believe you can simply switch the XBMC software source from "stable" to "unstable" and then do an upgrade.

I'm not going to bite on the trolltastic "drag and drop to upgrade applications" comment. Tongue
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
(2012-05-12, 09:46)Plaguester Wrote: You have to switch the session on the login screen (dropdown in the bottom left of the box) to XBMCbuntu. Once you are in, you can access the Synaptic Package Manager through the menu.

Thx - I'll have to look into that. I haven't spent any time in the desktop as of yet because the resolution for it is WAY TOO small. I'll have to find a fix.

(2012-05-12, 09:46)Plaguester Wrote: If you want the latest XBMC builds, I believe you can simply switch the XBMC software source from "stable" to "unstable" and then do an upgrade.
Not sure how this is done?? Can you elaborate?

(2012-05-12, 09:46)Plaguester Wrote: I'm not going to bite on the trolltastic "drag and drop to upgrade applications" comment. Tongue

Again...not sure what a"Trolltastic" is Huh, but it wasn't meant to be smart. I'm a windows user (not a very good one) that used a linux version because it was stated it acts more like an appliance than Windows. No one said you needed a PhD to drive the damn thing. A windows box is so much easier to manage IMO. Personally, I don't care what o/s people use.

Actually, Having Eden setup on my 2nd HDD has been quite good in that I can try things I wouldn't try on my "stable system". For example, I tired a "apt-get upgrade" when I was having problems playing video in the xbmc release (xbmcfreak version plays video). Thankfully, it didn't bork the setup, but didn't help with the video problem. This way it allows me a lot more latitude to play with the setup without fear of borking it, as I can always re-install it if I break it.

Appreciate the input. Thx

(2012-05-13, 00:10)KidKiwi Wrote: Thx - I'll have to look into that. I haven't spent any time in the desktop as of yet because the resolution for it is WAY TOO small. I'll have to find a fix.

You probably don't have the DPI set to 120 x 120. If you have NVidia hardware do this:
Code:
# replace "vi" with your text editor of choice
$ sudo vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

# In the following section, make sure you have the DPI option set:
Section "Device"
    Option "DPI" "120 x 120"
EndSection

You can try sticking that in the "Monitor" section if you don't have NVidia hardware.

(2012-05-13, 00:10)KidKiwi Wrote: Not sure how this is done?? Can you elaborate?

1. Log in to the XBMCbuntu desktop
  2. Select the menu button and choose System Tools > Synaptic Package Manager
  3. Select Settings > Repositories
  4. In the "Other Software" tab, scroll down and select the one with "team-xbmc" in it
  5. Click "Edit" and change the URL to "http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/unstable/ubuntu"
  6. Close out the two dialogs so you are back at the package manager
  7. Click "Reload"
  8. Click "Mark All Upgrades"
  9. Click "Apply"

The last three steps could be replaced by
Code:
$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

# Note that if you see something about linux kernel stuff getting held back, you want:
$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Good luck with the unstable builds. I usually don't jump on those until there's a beta.

(2012-05-13, 00:10)KidKiwi Wrote: Again...not sure what a"Trolltastic" is Huh, but it wasn't meant to be smart. I'm a windows user (not a very good one) that used a linux version because it was stated it acts more like an appliance than Windows. No one said you needed a PhD to drive the damn thing. A windows box is so much easier to manage IMO. Personally, I don't care what o/s people use.

Technically that comment would be more like rant-bait for a Linux user. I'll explain.

One huge bummer about Windows is that you have to update each of your programs separately. Most people don't like getting bombarded by programs asking for updates, and so users turn that crap off. This leaves you with security holes and old software on the system. Windows users who have never used anything else get used to updating programs by going to the website, downloading the update, and running it manually for any software that doesn't automatically update itself.

Linux uses repositories (think "App Stores", although repositories have been around much longer). This allows the package manager to keep track of everything installed on the system and update all of your software from one place with one command. This is least intrusive to the user experience and allows for the system to be kept up to date. In a regular distro, a nice little update GUI would periodically pop up and ask you to update. XBMCbuntu is meant to be as light as possible, and therefore the "Update Manager" is not included (though it could be installed from the package manager).

If you were to install a program by going the Windows route and downloading an archive, extracting it to a folder, and running the program, you defeat the entire purpose of the package manager. The package manager won't know about the program and it could go without updates indefinitely (this is particularly bad if there are security patches available). This causes Linux experts to do the facepalm.

You are right that XBMCbuntu is "more like an appliance". It is more friendly than tinkering with your bluray player or cable box, but it won't be as user-friendly as a full-blown (or fully bloated Tongue) OS (Linux, OS X, Windows, etc.) when you're trying to troubleshoot something unless you like the command line (trust me, it is so much easier than GUIs once you get the hang of it). Once you get it set up, you shouldn't have to touch it at all unless you are afflicted with the pathological tinkering disorder (like me). If you do a little research before you buy to make sure you get a good hardware combo for XBMCbuntu, you can have everything setup just through the installer and XBMC itself without ever dropping into a terminal or the desktop environment (I just did this Thursday with the Zotac box in my sig).
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
Wow. Plaguester. Nice post!
Shocked

Wow Plaguester...what a post. Really appreciate the effort that took.

1 - Funny...I just found the DPI fix earlier today.

2 - That would've taken me some time to find. I haven't looked at a linux desktop for years. ONce I get the DPI sorted, I'm off to have a play. I just did a "apt-get" upgrade to see what would happen. Seems it did a whole lot of stuff and didn't bork the system - excellent Big Grin

3 - Wow...that's a good description of things. I tend to be reasonably on to keeping my programs up to date in windows. I have never updated my xbmc box until a new version comes out and then I do a fresh install. I built my current box about a year ago - still running Dharma 10.0. Having the 2nd HDD is great and it allows me the chance to set everything up before I carry out a fresh install to Eden on my SSD. I'm learning heaps and it's not important if I bork it while trying things.

While I love the idea of the linux box being more like and appliance, from my perspective as someone not too skilled on puter stuff, the management of it is much more difficult. Even simplet things take a lot of research - like adding a 2nd drive...having the partitions accessible / mounting etc. Even backup/restore is a nightmare - not to mention how to add a nightly for a play. All these things are easy for me in windows. I missed all the puter stuff at school - too long ago. Don't have the time to suss it all out.

Thx again for the fantastic post.

You can install GUI tools to manage drives (Disk Utility, GParted), I haven't ever used any GUI tools for backups ("dd" and "bzip2" are fine for me), but they do exist. However, in the long run, you'll be better off keeping your media separate (on a file server, NAS, external drive, non OS internal drive, etc.). You can install Openelec or XBMCbuntu in 15 or 20 minutes, unzip your .xbmc directory, and be good to go.
(2012-05-13, 08:50)Plaguester Wrote: You can install GUI tools to manage drives (Disk Utility, GParted), I haven't ever used any GUI tools for backups...

I had a quick play in the desktop late last night. I got the resolution and overscan sorted. I had a chance to look at the repositories are, but haven't tried it yet.

Following up on your post, I searched for GUI Tools". I got lots of hits, but mostly about "MySQL GUI Tools" - which doesn't seem to be the thing you are mentioning. Is GUI Tools a software package (Or a collection of packages), and do you have a link? Thx

Sorry, by "GUI" I mean any program that has a Graphical User Interface. You should search the repository for "Disk Utility". You can also search Google or the repositories for "Linux backup tools" and see what you can find.
(2012-05-14, 04:13)Plaguester Wrote: Sorry, by "GUI" I mean any program that has a Graphical User Interface. You should search the repository for "Disk Utility". You can also search Google or the repositories for "Linux backup tools" and see what you can find.

Thx dude...much appreciated.
Am I missing something? It seems there are no Linux nightlies since August 2011... Just Windows and OSX. Are we supposed to compile then?
As far as I know, there are no officially built nightlies yet. Getting bleeding edge Linux-based XBMC is possible by one of two options that I know of. The first is to add another person's repository: nathan-renniewaldock
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/xbmc-nightly
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

That will install the latest Debian/Ubuntu-based XBMC nightly with Audio Engine (AE) integrated. I've tried it on two machines, but it always crashes on both due to a pulse audio initialization error, so YMMV.

The other option, and it sounds way more complicated than it actually is, is to compile your own build. I was a little intimidated at the prospect, and I've been using Linux on and off for over 10 years. I can't take credit for documenting the process, but I'll gladly share. This also assumes that you have an nVidia GPU (although I threw in VAAPI as well). It disables pulse audio and crystalhd integration, so if you want/need those options, just change the disable statements to enable.
Code:
sudo apt-get install git-core
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get install make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool libgl1-mesa-glx libva-utils libx11-6 libva-glx1 libva-x11-1 vainfo libva1 libva-dev nasm yasm automake cmake gperf zip unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound2-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-gnutls-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbisenc2 libsmbclient-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev libmpeg3-dev libflac-dev libiso9660-dev libass-dev libssl-dev fp-compiler gdc libmpeg2-4-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev libssh-dev gettext cvs python-dev libyajl-dev libboost-thread-dev libplist-dev libusb-dev libudev-dev
sudo apt-get install autopoint libltdl-dev
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get build-dep xbmc

sudo su -- root
cd $HOME
git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git xbmc
cd xbmc
service lightdm stop
./bootstrap
./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --disable-pulse --disable-crystalhd  --enable-vaapi
make
make install prefix=/usr
service lightdm start

The long "apt-get install" portion installs a slew of tools needed for compiling, and then the "apt-get build-dep xbmc" installs all the dependencies, i.e. the software that XBMC needs to build and fully function. If you have any or all of the needed tools, apt just passes them over. After that, you clone the Team-XBMC git repository (you grab all the source code necessary), stop the display manager, ala "service lightdm stop".

The "./bootstrap" command starts a script that runs several reconfiguration commands for various libraries and XBMC components.
The "./configure" command is pretty self explanatory, it configures all the necessary components to match the setup of your system, so that compilation works correctly.
The "make" and "make install" commands do exactly what they say. Make is the actual compilation stage, i.e. it compiles all the source code from all the different parts into a working XBMC setup, then "make install" takes the compiled components and installs them into the directories where they need to be.The make portion is what usually takes the longest.
All that's left is to start the display manager again.

After all of that's done, you can start XBMC and have it be the freshest build you can get. That said, Frodo is still pre-alpha, so expect bugs and issues if you want to go down that path.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu - Can someone clarify statement from xbmc web page?0