XBMC as remotely-controlled music player?
I'm using XBMC for my HTPC and liking it. I'm now wondering whether it is suitable for another requirement as well. I have a hi-fi system set up in my office, with an old (but quiet) PC connected to it, running Ubuntu Linux, in order to play music. Up to now what I've done is to use NX Server or VNC on the PC and control it from my desktop machine, via a standard remote desktop technique. This works OK, but unfortunately seems to cause high CPU usage on my desktop machine.

It strikes me that I might be better off instead using XBMC on the hi-fi computer and connecting to it via some XBMC remote control software. I can't actually start up XBMC via VNC because I get a message saying "XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering" - I presume because of the graphic shortcomings of a remote connection. I could start it automatically on the host machine, though.

My requirements are really pretty minimal. I just need to be able to select files stored on the server and play them - start, pause, stop, adjust volume. I have absolutely no interest in seeing album covers or any graphic flim-flam at all. It's not a high powered machine, so I wouldn't want XBMC to be constantly making high demands on the CPU (as it appears to do from time to time).

So, is there some nice simple setup for XBMC which will give me this?
This is essentially what I just set up. I used a low end net-top (Foxconn) with Win7/XBMC installed for a music box. The box connected to my living room stereo receiver. My music is on a separate media "server". This is a great setup for me, I have been enjoying my music again!

In my case I have no monitor or TV connected, it is just headless. (of course I used a monitor when configuring) I used the XBMC web interface to play/control music .It works great. All I have to do is turn on the stereo, and hit a button to "wake" my music box. One thing I lack over the web interface is volume control, but that's just fine with me.

Here are some things I ran across in my quest;

-Large music libraries can take a long time to set up if you want album art. Fortunately I could import the library and thumbnail database from by main XBMC HTPC. Make sure your music is well organized and tagged. I literally spent days working on this on my 400 plus album collection. Since you don't care about cover art your life is easy, but still try to clean up your album and artist tags as that is the key to a really pleasant interface.

-I once tried to set up a headless system with Ubuntu and use a remote desktop, but Unbuntu doesn't like to remote desktop when there is no monitor connected, so beware if you plan to use XBMCbutnu or a Unbuntu setup with no monitor. Might work, might not. The XBMC web interface will probably still work, just I'm talking about remote desktop. Win 7 works nice for me. I set it to run XBMC at startup.

-For windows, not sure if it applies to Ubuntu: Most remote desktop software will not work nicely with XBMC running, it has something to do with the full screen graphical interface. With TIghtVNC, you just get a big black screen. It will accept keyboard commands, so you can hit CTRL-X and XBMC will close so you can see & use your desktop. This works for general PC maintenance, but not for configuring XBMC.

-However, the web interfaces available for XBMC are great, as is the android app for control. so I really don't need to use remote desktop. You can select music, queue up playlists, etc from the interface.

-Wireless = not good. Make sure your music box is hardwired.

This was the right solution for me, sounds like your situation is similar. XBMC setup itself is rather simple.

Thanks for that, very helpful. You say you used a low end net-top with Win7 - how much memory do you have installed? (Win 7 likes memory). My machine is old and I'm stuck with 1Gb.
I think I have 2G in that box, running Win 7 32-Bit

If you really have resource problems, you could try OpenElec. I have played with it and it can be a bit of a challenge depending on your hardware, so I am not really recommending it.

I think you can get by with 1G if you use Ubuntu. It will be slow setting up, but should operate OK. There is choice of web interfaces, the default seems to use less resources, but has the least number of features.

XBMCBuntu is another choice. Its probably easier to get working than OpenElec.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC as remotely-controlled music player?0