Linux No sound - XBMC 12 Alpha2 200120511
Okay, been seeing some major changes with the latest pulls from GIT but as of about 2-3 days ago all sound has disappeared. No navigation sounds, nothing from music, nothing via passthru to my receivers either. I can play from native Ubuntu (10.10 64bit up to date) without issue. This is occurring on two separate systems so it's not a configuration issue. I did see, judging from files I saw coming down, that the audio subsystem looked to be getting tweaked. Obviously this is Alpha so I'm not screaming too hard Angel but I'd love to get this working and help whoever is working on this subsystem troubleshoot. These are both Atom\ION setups if that helps.

Thoughts? Oh and I use HDMI sound via ALSA.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Mine is broke too. It looks like the AudioEngine branch was merged. If you look under System in Settings does it say no hardware found?
I'm not sure where you're looking. I'm using the normal Confluence skin. Under system\System info I see nothing about audio hardware not being found. Likewise if I go into the sound area under settings I have the normal dropdown with HDMI etc. but I do also have an .asoundrc file kicking around.

Saw a small update a few minutes ago and am compiling on both machines again. If things come to life I'll post here but am "glad" I'm not the only one but am surprised I'm the first to post about it as it's been a day or three. I pretty much compile nightly....

Edit: FWIW if I could figure out how to roll backwards I'd be happy to do so in order to find which release broke things Sad
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
What does the skin show for passthrough device?
alsa:hdmi for the Asrock, I'd have to run upstairs to see the other but they are both similar but not same. This is coming from the .asoundrc I believe and I had fits getting sound working on each of them in the past!
Here are the errors I am logging:

Code:
17:48:25 T:3037854016   DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevicesEx - Skipping HDMI device hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0 as it has no ELD data
17:48:25 T:3037854016   ERROR: CAESinkOSS::EnumerateDevicesEx - Failed to open mixer: /dev/mixer
17:48:25 T:3037854016    INFO: CAESinkALSA::Initialize - Attempting to open device
17:48:25 T:3037854016   ERROR: CAESinkALSA::Initialize - snd_pcm_open_lconf(-2) -
17:48:25 T:3037854016   ERROR: CAESinkOSS::Initialize - Failed to get supported formats, assuming AFMT_S16_NE
So what is bringing you guys to test 12 already? Any bid enhancements we should be looking out for?

I always compile from GIT once every couple of weeks
Here's a lengthy chunk from mine. XBMC doesn't appear to be erroring on sound issues which is pretty puzzling. I'm also pretty confused at the SQL errors. I run an SQL server and XBMC should have full access - in fact the database it's trying to create exists! I might try dropping it and letting it recreate <sigh>

http://pastebin.com/TdZQyM3Q

Edit: Oh and I compile almost every night. I test and play with each new feature as I have time!
Okay, I found the same errors as you did! I also noticed that there's a comment about alsa revisions that we may need to pay attention to.

21:58:26 T:139816387864512 DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevicesEx - Unable to obtain ELD information for device hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0, make sure you have ALSA >= 1.0.25

Sure enough, I'm running 1.0.23 on both machines! I will be updating, likely from source, in a few minutes. I'm betting this is the issue and I suspect I'll be compiling from source to fix this Sad

http://pastebin.com/ZSFTiQJB
This scrip twith some mods is what I'm currently using. I had to remove the portion that halts ALSA at the top, not sure why. the build dependencies are taking forever to load - latex etc. and something like 190megs of documentation. Yuck! 1.025 is the latest stable and is what I'm moving to as it's the listed minimum.

http://www.atoztoa.com/2010/01/install-a...buntu.html
Had issues with that script. Found a PPA but my kernel version doesn't appear to be available - 2.6.35-32. So I tried a different script and run into compilation errors with ALSA 1.025! Argh!

http://pastebin.com/0McgzJR2

Stuck for now. REALLY do not want to reload the OS or upgrade to 11.x and get stuck with Unity crap Sad
I'm on kernel 3.2 and Alsa 1.25 so I'm not sure why mine is freaking out.
(2012-05-12, 02:00)drivesoslow Wrote: Mine is broke too. It looks like the AudioEngine branch was merged. If you look under System in Settings does it say no hardware found?
Settings ==> System ==> Audio shows "Error: no device found" or something to that effect on my system. Cannot check as I reverted back to Eden. The Audio page shows a few new settings too. I will be watching the progress made in this alpha since I still cannot play ISO's or VIDEO_TS folders properly in Eden on my Ubuntu 12.04 system.

I added al my logs to the AE thread over here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...id=1101695

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound - XBMC 12 Alpha2 2001205110