Hopefully a Simple Answer
Hi, first off, I am just learning about xbmc and am SO excited about its potential I can barely stand it!!!

That being said my question is a little theoretical (and I am sorry for that) but am hoping you folks can at least give me some educated guesses. My first thought was that this would work so brilliantly as an addition to the apple TV and I can see that many have done just that. But, with the new 3rd gen offering 1080p, I am considering buying one of those and waiting for it to get jail-broken. I KNOW that this site has nothing to do with jail breaking and I am NOT asking for an ETA on that. What I am hoping to get an answer to is; when and if the jailbreak process gets figured out is it a given that we will be able to put XBMC on it right then and there, using the same software that is used for the ATV2? Or are there porting issues or work that has to be done on the XBMC side to adjust for the new hardware? Is it the kind of thing that even when/if the 3 is jailbroken it may not work for XBMC or at least that there may be an adjustment period afterwards to get your software meshed up with the new system?

Like I said I am amped on this concept and have spent a lot of time reading about it in the past 48 hours and I cannot wait to start some hands on tinkering but I certainly want to start with the right hardware. Any pointers you guys could give me towards whether I should find a second-hand v1 or v2 or hold my breath for the new v3, would sure be appreciated. Thanks in advance. BTW as I understand it the ATV keeps 100% of it's original functionality and xbmc is simply accessed like an app to extend its power. Is that correct or does the XBMC install replace the ATV interface?
1. XBMC is an app - so the original functionality is still there
2. We will know if XBMC runs when ATV3 gets a jailbreak
3. Theoretically it should work out of the box once ATV3 is broken incl. 1080p output.

I've already mentioned this on that other atv3 thread btw. Please guys don't make this thread a "guess what will it be like" - thread - it just doesn't make any sense.

I totally understand that some of you are totally impatient and want to eat up all info they can get. But there is just no point in doing this - nobody has the crystal ball.

Lets keep this statement here as is and don't spam along please.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hopefully a Simple Answer0