Stuttering and colors on high framerate mkvs
Heya.

I really put quite a bit of work into this, but I cannot seem to find a problem that is matching mine all out. My problem is with mkv files that has high framerate. According to MediaInfo the ones I have had problems with is both AVC and is has over 12 Mbps.
One of them I have problems with small stutters. When I turned off the vertical sync the stuttering dissapeared, but what looks like a rendering problem is there instead of the stuttering. Sorta like a line drawing the picture every 5-10 secs. It's not really better than the stuttering. I ran this in Media Player Classic, and the result is notably better but not perfect. This may ofc very well be a bad rip...
The other one I've noticed doesn't stutter in XBMC, but the colors are really odd and not nice to look at. Looks like when you try to run something you don't have the codec for. However this one runs perfectly in Media Player Classic.
I guess both of these really sound like a codec problem, but what could I try to fix it? Would the debugging log be of any help?

My rig is more than good enough for these sorts of tasks:
8GB RAM, i5-2500K and a Radeon 5850. It never passes 30% of CPU power when running. Also running it on top of Win7 64-bit.
I also have a Panasonic VT30 55" plugged in with a HDMI cable from my PC. The screen is set to 24Hz.
I have tried to take on and off most settings on videoplayback in XBMCs options with no luck.

I've used XBMC for a year now and I really could not go anywhere else, but this problem is forcing me to alt-tab Media Player Classic again.

Sorry for my below par English...

What do you call high frame rate? 25FPS? 50FPS?

I have problems playing 50FPS AVC (H264 encoding) in XBMC. I have posted a topic on it but nobody answered or even bothered testing the test file I uploaded... pity.

Anyway if you press the O command you will probably see that a lot of frames are being dropped. I have the same problem. My conclusion is that XBMC really SUCKS at playing back high frame rate footage. It is not using the resources efficiently. My PC can play the same footage in Media Player Classic without any problems.

By the way: Media Player Classic came with installation of K-Lite codec pack. This software seems to be using the PC in a very efficient way!

What I do is I create my home movies in both 50FPS and 25FPS. The children watch the 25FPS version in XBMC as the interface is easy and they can handle this themselves. I keep the 50FPS version for playback in Media Player Classic and perhaps in the future XBMC will allow to play these as well. For the time being I think not even the fastest PC can play 50FPS in XBMC.

It's the old decoder's problem in the official Eden.Fixed in nightly build.High bitrate is not a problem in any XBMC.50Gb blurays go absolutely smoothly with IGP Radeon HD3200 and 1 core CPU Big Grin
to Steamerke
MPC-HC itself plays any video.It doesn't need help from shit like "k-lite"
(2012-05-12, 15:34)MONSTA Wrote: It's the old decoder's problem in the official Eden.Fixed in nightly build.High bitrate is not a problem in any XBMC.50Gb blurays go absolutely smoothly with IGP Radeon HD3200 and 1 core CPU Big Grin
to Steamerke

While that may be the case it is not really relevant. I am running XBMC on my old PC that I gave a second life as media center and I installed some basic programs for use in the living room. I installed K-Lite because I knew it comes with a lot of ... shit. Basically MPC is a fantastic media player, it handles all my media fantastically. VLC Media Player doesn't and XBMC is a lot of work, I hope sooner or later they support high frame rates.

What does "nighlty build" mean? Did some developer who did not know what to do on a Satuday night start developing improved support for higher fram rates? Help me out here as I do not know what you are talking about. And I also need the HD audio patch... Undecided
Here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=124600
(2012-05-12, 17:44)Streamerke Wrote:
(2012-05-12, 15:34)MONSTA Wrote: It's the old decoder's problem in the official Eden.Fixed in nightly build.High bitrate is not a problem in any XBMC.50Gb blurays go absolutely smoothly with IGP Radeon HD3200 and 1 core CPU Big Grin
to Steamerke

While that may be the case it is not really relevant. I am running XBMC on my old PC that I gave a second life as media center and I installed some basic programs for use in the living room. I installed K-Lite because I knew it comes with a lot of ... shit. Basically MPC is a fantastic media player, it handles all my media fantastically. VLC Media Player doesn't and XBMC is a lot of work, I hope sooner or later they support high frame rates.

What does "nighlty build" mean? Did some developer who did not know what to do on a Satuday night start developing improved support for higher fram rates? Help me out here as I do not know what you are talking about. And I also need the HD audio patch... Undecided

That's pretty insulting Streamerke - if "some developer" spent his Saturday night making the code better you should thank him, not diss free software done by volunteers. If you figure out what a nightly is (or keep pace with developments) you'll know that nightlies have the most recent code, which now includes AE (AudioEngine) supporting HD audio.

Maybe the team missed your thread/file - there's hundreds of posts here every day. Who btw may be spending their Saturday night in the forums to help users. Reading crap like that is not going to encourage a helpful response.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I honestly meant it when I said I don't know what a nightly build is. If it really means that a developer is spending extra time to get a problem fixed then I have all due respecty for that. I didn't know what a nightly build was, so I pictured a developer spending the night ... I absolutely meant no disrespect.

Please don't expect people to know everything about XBMC and the way it is developed and supported. I am a new user and I have been enjoying XBMC most of the times. I do like it and I do appreciate the help I have had so far and I know I am a bit behind on my knowlegd of XBMC and it's community.

I did however feel a bit frustrated about my thread that has been missed even though I posted more and more information including a debug log and a test file. In the end I just asked if someone could download and test the file to confirm whether or not XBMC can play the file but after 167 views nobody bothered to spend even a few minutes. That was a bit disappointing and I did not even expect help from a developer as a fellow XBMC user could also do this.

Oh well, I hope you no longer feel insulted as I did not really mean disrespect. Keep up the good work and I will be patient. I have learned now what a nightly build is... now I must see that I can get my hands on it Wink
I shall have to download a nightly build then. Will report back and tell how it went. Thanks for replies!
(2012-05-12, 19:06)Streamerke Wrote: Please don't expect people to know everything about XBMC and the way it is developed and supported. I am a new user and I have been enjoying XBMC most of the times. I do like it and I do appreciate the help I have had so far and I know I am a bit behind on my knowlegd of XBMC and it's community.

Nightly builds is not at all XBMC specific, but rather the law at most open source projects. FYI.
(2012-05-13, 01:40)blank_file Wrote: I shall have to download a nightly build then. Will report back and tell how it went. Thanks for replies!

Ok. So I did a little testing with the latest nightly build:
XBMCSetup-20120512-694a759-master.exe 12-May-2012 09:54.

Sadly it seemed to make more problems for me than it solved. The file that stuttered didn't really change and I now have concluded that this must be a bad rip so I'll just delete this.
The other file was very different. It starts and then hangs for a while and the stutters. The good thing was that all the "artifacts" was gone and the picture quality was as good as when playing it in MPC, but since it keeps freezing up I can't really watch it.
So I went back to EDEN and I suppose I shall have to wait until 11.1 comes out.

Thanks again for your trouble!
Not every build works fine.Not on any machine.I'm using the build for 30 april and everything is great.But when I tried it on another machine I got a freeze.Also tried for 3th may-I got a big problems on both machines Big Grin
Thumbs up... Would like to see support for high frame rate video soon. In the mean time I render both a 50 and 25FPS version of my home movies.
(2012-05-13, 06:49)MONSTA Wrote: Not every build works fine.Not on any machine.I'm using the build for 30 april and everything is great.But when I tried it on another machine I got a freeze.Also tried for 3th may-I got a big problems on both machines Big Grin

Yeah I know, but I reckon this is something that will be fixed when 11.1 some day is released? Wouldn't you think so?

After all it's pretty easy to alt-tab for one or two movies.
I hope so,but I wanna use it right nowBig Grin.
(2012-05-13, 02:38)blank_file Wrote: Sadly it seemed to make more problems for me than it solved. The file that stuttered didn't really change and I now have concluded that this must be a bad rip so I'll just delete this.
What kind a rip? Look to mediainfo .Perhaps it's [email protected] HD5xxx can't play this smoothly,because of hardware limitations UVD2.Try to play by Intel Grafhics of SB.
Definitely try to post a sample - other users with Nvidia and Intel GPUs will try it - also if it is an XBMC limitation then a sample would be extremely helpful to include in a trac ticket.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stuttering and colors on high framerate mkvs0