HTPC Advice
Heya guys,

Firstly, I hope this is in the right part of the forums....

After many years of building and configuring gaming computers, I have decided to build myself my first HTPC system. The actual hardware side of it I have no concerns about whatsoever, however I have given myself a few criteria which must be met and as I have never ventured into the world of live TV capture cards etc, wanted to just run a few things by those with more experience on HTPC's than myself. The criteria which is pretty much non negotiable is the following:

1 - Must boot straight into the media centre (So, I have XMBCbuntu to do just that which I am happy with). I would be happy with Windows, but, please correct me if I am wrong, XMBC wont boot straight into it without loading up the main OS first??
2 - Must be able to receive freeview channels and radio (I know a few cards do offer this)
3 - Must be able to turn it off, suspend, standby modes etc.

My first question kinda interlinks both of those criteria. My understanding is that XMBCbuntu runs off a linux kernel, which is not an issue other than my concern as to which capture card to use which works with linux as most of what I have found offer limited support for linux, but all support windows. Any suggestions as to which card is going to be ok with linux driver wise? I have many years of experience working with the amazing Microsoft OS's (Can you hear my laughter here??), but very little with linux other than just playing around when I have installed it on test computers out of boredom.

My second question is that, and please correct me if I am wrong, I need to get a card which is DVB-S to receive satellite channels from my sat dish which currently links into my freeview box. Obviously, I want to bin the box and have a pci card in the system and connecting the sat cable straight to it. Am I correct in understanding that DVB-S does not support HD whereas DVB-S2 does? If so, I am trying to find a pci card which supports linux and DVB-S2.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
(2012-04-09, 19:23)compsaysno Wrote: 1 - Must boot straight into the media centre (So, I have XMBCbuntu to do just that which I am happy with). I would be happy with Windows, but, please correct me if I am wrong, XMBC wont boot straight into it without loading up the main OS first??
If you want XBMCbuntu, you'll have an easier time with Nvidia GPU (GT520 should do). If you want to stick with Windows 7, you can use any GPU. You can customize Windows7 to boot straight to XBMC- Customizing Windows for XBMC

(2012-04-09, 19:23)compsaysno Wrote: 2 - Must be able to receive freeview channels and radio (I know a few cards do offer this)
I'm not fully understand your question. I use USB and internal OTA TV tuner- Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q TV Tuner Stick/Hybrid Video Recorder with Remote Control .

(2012-04-09, 19:23)compsaysno Wrote: 3 - Must be able to turn it off, suspend, standby modes etc.
This mobo included all the hardwares for it- H67M-ITX/HT LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Hi bluray, thanks for the reply. I have always stuck with Nvidia's and am glad that you mentioned the GT520 as it was something I was already looking at, although the one I was thinking of has passive cooling. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/popup_imag...at=c435433

Sorry, in relation to being able to receive freeview channels and radio, I was talking about the free satellite channels that we receive in the UK, and was looking for a card which would allow me to do both of these things. I believe a card like http://www.overclockers.co.uk/popup_imag...at=c435433 would do this as it is a DVB-S, but apart from hearing horrific things relating to driver issues etc, and the fact that I would like to be able to view HD Channels as well, which I believe is DVB-S2?? Please correct me on this if I am wrong.

(2012-04-10, 06:11)compsaysno Wrote: Hi bluray, thanks for the reply. I have always stuck with Nvidia's and am glad that you mentioned the GT520 as it was something I was already looking at, although the one I was thinking of has passive cooling. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/popup_imag...at=c435433
The one in my link is passive, but lower profile...

(2012-04-10, 06:11)compsaysno Wrote: Sorry, in relation to being able to receive freeview channels and radio, I was talking about the free satellite channels that we receive in the UK, and was looking for a card which would allow me to do both of these things. I believe a card like http://www.overclockers.co.uk/popup_imag...at=c435433 would do this as it is a DVB-S, but apart from hearing horrific things relating to driver issues etc, and the fact that I would like to be able to view HD Channels as well, which I believe is DVB-S2?? Please correct me on this if I am wrong.
Sorry, I don't have experience with DVB-S. I use USB HD TV Tuner, and it picks up all local HD channels at my location in U.S. As far as Satellite, I used Directv2pc. I can watch HD video on Directv HDDVR using my HTPC.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
So, finally got the parts etc n got it all up n running, but as I am learning linux as I go, how do I install drivers?

Got a wireless card to connect and whilst the disc provided has the files, as a tar.gz, how do I install it? I have read about right clicking and extracting it, however this option isnt present. I am using the new eden with xmbc.

Any advice?

If you installed XBMCbuntu, the NVidia drivers were most likely installed with the rest of the system. With Linux you don't have to run through all the disks provided by the hardware manufacturer. You can check by doing either of the following:

GUI Method:
  • Menu > System Tools > Synaptic Package Manager
  • Search for "nvidia"

You should see "nvidia-current" in the list with a 295.49 version.

Faster Method:
Code:
# type this in a terminal
dpkg -l | grep nvidia

If your wireless card is already working, don't screw with it. Seriously. Don't.
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
thank you for your reply... the only driver that isnt working is the wireless...lol. Everything else is as good as gold.
If you are planning to stream HD video to the device, you may want to consider running an ethernet cable to it. If the wireless card manufacturer provides linux drivers, then you should follow the instructions in the manual or website on how to install them. Or you can see if those specific drivers are already available via the repositories by searching the package manager.

Also, when you say it isn't working, do you mean it just isn't configured or is it not recognized at all?

Code:
# list network devices
$ ifconfig
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Advice0