Resolution issue
I recently formatted and reinstalled everything on my XBMC machine, but not I have some issues with the resolution on starting up.

I have Windows 7, XBMC, and a harmony remote connected to a sharp tv via hdmi.
I have Windows resolution at 720p so everything is seeable (not too small) on my TV when not in XBMC, and then XBMC in 1080p.
Harmony remote is set to turn tv on to the right mode, turn receiver on to the right mode, and then issue a Win+1 command to start XBMC.

When I do this now, XBMC comes up, but it in odd resolutions(something x768 or x1200). If I goto change resolutions, the 720p and 1080p resolutions are not available. I have to exit XBMC and go back in.

Im guessing XBMC is starting faster than the TV comes on and doesnt detect the TV right away. Is there any way to force a resolution on startup?

EDIT: I reinstalled everything because I bought a SSD. I think XBMC started slower previously and this issue was avoided. No other hardware or software changes.
Have you tired just leaving it at 1080 at then using Windows 7's Display controls to increase the size of icons and text? You can also increase the zoom of your browser as well to compensate. I do this on my seup and it was just easier than to try to switch back and forth between resolutions, and when browsing the net I can just use the keyboard controls to quickly zoom up or down as needed.
Yeah, I have a 52" TV but I have the dpi set at 200 to avoid having to switch resolutions, works fairly well
Ill give it a shot and report back
Tried it and it didnt work. When my TV turns on, I hear the sound of a new device plugged in on the speakers and then XBMC goes to something x 1200 with 1080p not being a resolution option.

I am thinking I will have to manually start XBMC after the TV comes on to avoid this, but Ill be happy if Im wrong to keep it easy for others to use.
Do you have the proper drivers installed for your graphics card? It sounds as if your OS is having difficulties with your TV.
Yes. Up to date.

It really just seems like the computer does not see the TV until my receiver is on, hence the plugged in hardware sound when its all turning on so when XBMC starts, it doesnt know what resolutions to support.
Ahhh the missing piece of the puzzle. How is your connection setup? PC -> Receiver -> TV?
Got the exact same issue here!
My xbmc box is connected to my HT system via HDMI, which is connected to my TV via HDMI.

When the box is automatically restarted at night it switches to 800x600 or something like that and I have to restart xbmc to get back at 1080p
The only difference with a manual reboot would be that my HTsystem and TV are not switched on at that point.
Maybe we could see a force resolution command line or something in the future?
(2012-05-29, 00:09)localjoost Wrote: Got the exact same issue here!
My xbmc box is connected to my HT system via HDMI, which is connected to my TV via HDMI.

When the box is automatically restarted at night it switches to 800x600 or something like that and I have to restart xbmc to get back at 1080p
The only difference with a manual reboot would be that my HTsystem and TV are not switched on at that point.

Hi localjoost. Did you ever get around this problem? I have exactly the same issue where XBMC loads up in 1080i instead of 1080p, when my machine automatically quits XBMC overnight via scheduled task (when TV and AV Receiver is powered off), and I have to then quit and restart XBMC so it loads up in 1080p.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Resolution issue0