shuttle xs35gt overheating
Hello,

What is the normal temperature for running xbmc on a shuttle xs35gt? I have been using it since a bit more than a year (warranty just expired Smile) without any problems. Since a couple of days, it starts to skip frames after a while, I think because of overheating. Checking 'sensors' output results in 96.0 C (see below). Is it too high for an ION system? Do you know what I could try to reduce it? I opened the case, but didn't see anything unusual: the system is fanless so there is no dust. Is it worth trying to unscrew the heatsinks to check if there is dust between them and the cpu?

Thanks in advance for an answer.

root ~ # sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +96.0 C (crit = +104.0 C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +94.0 C (crit = +100.0 C)
Core 1: +94.0 C (crit = +100.0 C)

root ~ #
maybe it needs to be cleaned
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
I opened the case and it seems very clean, the only part I cannot access is between heatsink and cpu and gpu. Do you think it is worth unscrewing the two heatsinks?

This sounds like either something wrong with your sensor heating or your cpu fan is dead, 90+ seems way too high for an ion system. Does your bios screen reports a proper rpm for your cpu fan? (or just leave the case open and turn on the system and look at the fan)
It's possible that there's a problem with the interface between the chips and the heatsink. What are the idle temperatures? How quickly do the chips heat up under load?
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
thanks for your answers. The idle temperature is about 70C. It takes about 1 hour to heat up (and it's get worse every day, yesterday night for the first time it reached a temperature to cause a shutdown). If it is the interface between the chips and the heatsinks (there are two large ones on each side), then the solution should be removing them, replacing the thermal paste and screwing them back, right?

@waver123: it is a fanless system.
I've seen a couple run consistently @ 80 to 90 (with the odd video glitch) but most examples run at 60 to 70 under load.

Yours sound too high and I think checking thermal paste would be a good idea.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Quote:the solution should be removing them, replacing the thermal paste and screwing them back, right?
Yeah, but I'm not convinced that's the issue. Usually the temperature rises rapidly if that's the problem, because the heat can't get away from the chips properly. Have you changed anything else, like location, room ventilation, anything? Also check that all of the vents are clear of dust/cables etc. Replacing the thermal paste should be a last resort.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
The only change I can think of was upgrading to openelec Eden 2 weeks ago. When the frame skipping started to appear without anything in the logs, I first thought it was caused by software and downgraded back to Dharma, however, the problem didn't go away. In my previous experience, overheating was causing immediate shutdown, not video glitches.

I will try to retest tonight to check what else can be causing this.

In any case, many thanks for all your answers and ideas
(2012-05-13, 21:59)waver123 Wrote: This sounds like either something wrong with your sensor heating or your cpu fan is dead, 90+ seems way too high for an ion system. Does your bios screen reports a proper rpm for your cpu fan? (or just leave the case open and turn on the system and look at the fan)

You've never seen an XS35 Smile
There are no fans, on the cpu or otherwise - so the RPM reading in bios is irrelevant.
My only suggestion for the OP is that Shuttle highly recommends positioning the unit vertically since there's not enough airflow when it is horizontal.
I am feeling a bit stupid, but that was the cause of overheating. I had it positioned horizontally, and it had worked with the unit powered on continuously without problems for the past year. Putting it now vertically (even without the stand that, of course Smile, I have already thrown away) avoids the overheating (temperature is now around 80C).

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
shuttle xs35gt overheating0