TheRenamer for music?
Hi,

Quick question,

I have a folder full of mp3 albums etc... The naming convention on all of them is a mess, the structure is a mess, it's basically a folder full of albums that aren't named very well, some contain the music in the folder, some are split into album/cd1 and cd2 etc...

Is there a tool (like therenamer) that I can drop my music into, it will be tagged and renamed and spat out in a new location? TheRenamer is a godsend for xbmc and does an incredible job, but I havnt been able to find anything like it for music?

So far I've tried:
Picard (this doesn't work like therenamer)
Mp3tag (which also doesn't work like therenamer)

Rather than continuing down this path, can anyone recommend a tool that is similar to "therenamer" which will just hunt through a predetermined directory, match up everything it can, rename it accordingly, and spit it out the other end in a new location with the correct tags, naming convention and information etc.

Thanks in advance.
A couple things that I like are The Godfather and MP3Tag... they make some of these task simple, but they are not a one click solution... You may need to go folder by folder and fixing stuff that way. Once you have it sorted out, Headphones will collect new music for you and handle the naming and tagging...

Starting your collection from scratch using Headphones might also be a solution, but thi sis a big commitment.

MusicBrainz Picard actually does a very good job of renaming and moving into a proper folder layout. Though it does take a bit of configuring.

First off you need to install a plugin called Disc Numbers - > http://users.musicbrainz.org/~luks/picar...cnumber.py
(place it in -> C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBrainz Picard\plugins) Probably need to restart Picard.

Then adjust your tag setting to the following.
This clears the tags, as some have useless information that XBMC uses improperly

Then under the File Naming option, set 'Name Files Like This' to:
Picard version < 1.0
Code:
$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/%album%$if($eq(%releasetype%,single), \(single\),$if($eq(%releasetype%,ep), \(EP\)))/$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),/Disc %discnumber%$if(%discsubtitle%, - %discsubtitle%))/$num(%tracknumber%,2) - %title%
for Picard version 1.0+
Code:
$if($eq(%compilation%,1),
$noop(Various Artist albums)
$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/%album%$if($eq(%releasetype%,single), \(single\),$if($eq(%releasetype%,ep), \(EP\)))/$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),/Disc %discnumber%$if(%discsubtitle%, - %discsubtitle%))/$num(%tracknumber%,2) %artist% - %title%,
$noop(Single Artist Albums)
$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/%album%$if($eq(%releasetype%,single), \(single\),$if($eq(%releasetype%,ep), \(EP\)))/$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),/Disc %discnumber%$if(%discsubtitle%, - %discsubtitle%))/$num(%tracknumber%,2) - %title%)
The above creates the proper folders when you save it, plus a couple of extras.

For example if the album is a multidisc, it will separate the tracks into the proper Disc folders. It will also add '(single)' to the Album folder name if the album is a single <- this separates the single releases that share with an actually Album name.

It's best to move the files so your music library is nice and clean. If you set the move options to the following, Picard will also move the artwork(ie folder.jpg, cdart.png, logo.png, fanart.jpg)

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion... I'll check godfather out and headphones as I know nothing of them. A one click solution like "therenamer" would be fantastic, but I suppose it's asking a lot.

Cheers,
(2012-05-14, 02:10)giftie Wrote: MusicBrainz Picard actually does a very good job of renaming and moving into a proper folder layout. Though it does take a bit of configuring.

First off you need to install a plugin called Disc Numbers - > http://users.musicbrainz.org/~luks/picar...cnumber.py
(place it in -> C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBrainz Picard\plugins) Probably need to restart Picard.

This clears the tags, as some have useless information that XBMC uses improperly

Code:
$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/%album%$if($eq(%releasetype%,single), \(single\),$if($eq(%releasetype%,ep), \(EP\)))/$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),/Disc %discnumber%$if(%discsubtitle%, - %discsubtitle%))/$num(%tracknumber%,2) - %title%

For example if the album is a multidisc, it will separate the tracks into the proper Disc folders. It will also add '(single)' to the Album folder name if the album is a single <- this separates the single releases that share with an actually Album name.

It's best to move the files so your music library is nice and clean. If you set the move options to the following, Picard will also move the artwork(ie folder.jpg, cdart.png, logo.png, fanart.jpg)

Hey,
Fantastic. I'll try that right away.

Thanks for that Smile
MP3Tag can do this with a few clicks. Its renaming functions are awesome and simple to use.

Just rename using the tag information.
(2012-05-15, 10:47)zag Wrote: MP3Tag can do this with a few clicks. Its renaming functions are awesome and simple to use.

Just rename using the tag information.

I tried mp3 tag and it seemed more manual? Can I just set it off, go to bed and wake up with an o regained, tagged, renamed, labeled library Smile
(2012-05-14, 02:10)giftie Wrote: MusicBrainz Picard actually does a very good job of renaming and moving into a proper folder layout. Though it does take a bit of configuring.

Picard version < 1.0
Code:
for Picard version 1.0+
Code:
$if($eq(%compilation%,1),
$noop(Various Artist albums)
$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/%album%$if($eq(%releasetype%,single), \(single\),$if($eq(%releasetype%,ep), \(EP\)))/$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),/Disc %discnumber%$if(%discsubtitle%, - %discsubtitle%))/$num(%tracknumber%,2) %artist% - %title%,
$noop(Single Artist Albums)
$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/%album%$if($eq(%releasetype%,single), \(single\),$if($eq(%releasetype%,ep), \(EP\)))/$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),/Disc %discnumber%$if(%discsubtitle%, - %discsubtitle%))/$num(%tracknumber%,2) - %title%)

This actually worked great on my test with just a few folders, fantastic! Thanks for this Giftie. One quick question for you...if I have all my music organized at the top level by genre is there any addition to the code I could use to still keep the top level? For instance my music is currently organized:

<genre><artist><album><track>

I would like to maintain this organizational structure but can it be done with Picard and if so will XBMC be able to read it for scraping purposes or should I just shut up and stick with <artist><album><track> and be happy with my life?

Thanks.
thanks all for the advice and help setting up Picard.. I keep getting WIN8 Blue screens when running the scan.. its killing me.. i too use 'The Renamer' maybe if more people donated to him he would include music..
I've been a long time user of Tag & Rename which has served me well.
I've been using mp3tag and AlbumArtDownloader for ages, now I find that I need something to help with artist thumbnails, any suggestions? The available ones in Frodo are OK but have missed a lot of artists.
thnx for the tutorial,
but i got 2 questions why ID3v2 version: 2.3 and not 2.4 ?
also you got ID3v1 checked,
when looking in the help file it says:
Also include ID3v1 tags in the files: Not recommended at all. ID3v1.1 tags are obsolete and may not work with non-latin scripts.

still looking in to the options that Picard has,
but MP3 tag has much more options and easy way to edit (multiple) tags
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
I've used MP3nity and it is bomb diggity.
A - very late - thank you giftie ! Smile
This thread looks dead, but I have a question about MusicBrainz Picard if anyone could help me out.

I'm trying to upload my music library into Kodi, and my library seems to be way too big for Picard to manage (about 22k songs) in one job. It appears the most consistent way to do this is one album at a time, but this is going to take forever.

Is their any feature I'm missing to help speed this process up? I'm about to give up = (

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TheRenamer for music?1