Please help with wired network
I am currently trying to get XBMC Live running on my HTPC from a USB drive, but have run into multiple problems. The newest of which is that I can't get my wired network connection to work consistently. I should also preface this by saying that I am a SERIOUS linux noob and really know nothing about writing commands. I have done a several searches and found one that suggested adding the lines

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

to etc/network/interfaces, which initially worked but has since spontaneously stopped working. I have tried restarting several times with no luck. If I boot into windows, I have no problem with my internet connection. I should mention that the connection is going from a router to a switch and then to the HTPC. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Your interfaces file looks fine. Ditch the Network Manager.

Code:
$ sudo apt-get purge network-manager
$ sudo reboot

When it comes back up, do:
Code:
# these will give you some status info about the network
$ ifconfig
$ ethtool eth0
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
It also wouldn't hurt to check out your DHCP server (probably your router) and make sure that it's still serving addresses. The more correct way to look at IP configuration is the command:
$ ip a
I think I may have solved the issue. As I mentioned earlier, I have a router that runs through a switch before getting to the HTPC. When I checked the ip status when the network was not working, I found that the computer was receiving an IP address from the main router, but when I check the IP address when the network was working, it was receiving an IP address from the switch. So I gave the HTPC a static IP address from the switch which seems to be working. Hopefully I wont have anymore problems with the network. Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please help with wired network0