Suitable Performance from NAS with RAID
Question 
I'm a little concerned at the number of posts that I read where people claim that they aren't getting suitable performance out of their NAS to stream video. Am I being paranoid? Should any of the NAS listed on the XBMC Wiki be suitable?

As a bit of background, I currently have a Mac Mini running XBMC with a 2Tb Firewire external hard drive. Don't have a problem with this set-up, but for a variety of reasons, I'd like to simplify the footprint in the living area of my house. Therefore, I'm looking to move to a jailbroken ATV2 as being the only thing connected to my TV.

The plan would be to have the ATV2 connected to the TV over HDMI and to my 2Tb Time Capsule over wired Gigabit Ethernet. I'd then have a NAS connected to the same Time Capsule, again over wired Gigabit Ethernet. I'd run iTunes on my MacBook Pro with a local library pointing to remote media files sitting on the NAS. The only reason for this iTunes instance is simply to give me a way of downloading content onto my iPad for when I'm on the road. I wouldn't be expecting XBMC to have any knowledge of the iTunes library.

Since I can't backup from a NAS to a Time Capsule without having Time Machine running somewhere on my network and since I don't want my MacBook Pro to become a vital cog in my network infrastructure, the NAS would need to be RAID to remove the need to back up to the Time Capsule. Other online and physical back ups would still be carried out. My media library is currently pushing 2Tb, so a 6Tb Raid 1 disk array would be a minimum requirement.

None of the above seems unreasonable to me, so I'm just concerned at the number of people who are finding their NAS is incapable of this architecture. Can anyone give me confidence that my expectations are reasonable?

Graham.
The network interface in the ATV2 is a 100mb. So you won't get the gig speeds with it. However, I run all of my ATV2's over Wireless N and I am still able to stream 720p content just fine which is good for me as 1080 is not supported on ATV2 anyways.

My media is all hosted on a virtual machine sitting on an hyper-v server. And when I do network tests I'm getting the maximum gig speed out of it over the network so it works perfectly.

Like you I have read a lot of horror stories with network speeds from a NAS. Most of them have been from those pre built boxes you just plug into your network. That is why I just built my own machine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Suitable Performance from NAS with RAID0