Looking for a little guidance....
Hello all, I am looking for a little help deciding what type of hardware to use for a HTPC.
Currently a very disappointed Boxee user and looking for something better .
I place myself firmly in group #6 with an eye towards the future.I thought I knew what I wanted/needed but after spending the day reading these forums,
I keep going in circles.So I want something that will fill all the needs of group #6 easily.
My first thought was an ATV2(jailbroken) and then moved to a mac-mini and then to a pre-built htpc and finally building my own full blown htpc.
I would like lightning fast processing and no video or audio issues, and at this point would be mainly using XBMC to get to Navi-X or maybe plex.
Streaming something like Netflix with a VPN is also something I would like to do as well as my own dvd/blueray rips and maybe a little web brousing.
Remote friendly is a must with maybe even wireless keyboard mouse control.
I can live with 720p I think but audio is very important weather it's lossless music files or movie HD movie surround sound fed to my HT receiver.
I have never build a pc but it does not intimidate me at all and I find the process quite interesting.My internet connection is 20Mbps with an 80gig cap. and I could go wired or wireless.
My budget is flexible but not endless I'm thinking 5-600$ should get me something decent.

So what path would you reccommend ??
I'm not sure how much processing power/ram /ps/cooling etc. that I need to accomplish all that I want to do and if the first couple of choices would even be powerful enough to get the job done....If a jailbroken ATV2 which looks like it would cost about $200 locally, will do everything that's great but I want to do this right!

Sorry for the long first post, once I started typing, I just kept thinking of stuff...Blush
Thanks for all the great info Big Grin
Where is "locally"?

Take a look at any of the A6-3500 build threads here.

http://assassinhtpcblog.com/?page_id=160
Thanks for the link, that's some good reading...
I was hoping more for some of the vets to say something like" the ATV2 will do everything you want " or
"the ATV2 does not have enough power to do the things you want"
Just so I can rule out some things..
The ATV2 is buggy especially on large libraries and high bitrate.

I have one.
Do you know what form-factor you'd like -- something small or something receiver-sized?

From Assassin's HW Guide, with your budget, I'd start with something G620 or A6-3500 based and go from there. With either, you'll have no worries about having enough horsepower to do everything you want but at the same time be able to stay within budget and not have it be overkill.
Thanks Dougie, that's the kind of information that will help with my decision process !!!
Form factor is flexible at this point...
So I'm probably going to ask the same question is a slightly different way...

If i was going to spend 200-300 on the ATV2 would I get double the performance by spending 500 and building
or buying a htpc? More importantly do I need double the performance ?

If you were going to spend $500 on a htpc would it outperform a Mac-mini in a group #6 type application ?
I'm thinking that if a mac-mini has more than enough horse power and similar performance to a self build then why not??

Oh, and locally is Burlington,Ont. Canada

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for a little guidance....0