Storage Solution Advice
I am looking for direction on a storage solution for a HTPC build.

I have been researching the forums and have been unable to to collect enough evidence to determine what solution would best fit my needs. I've heard a number of options thrown around (FreeNAS, unRAID, NAS)

I have no requirement to keep my HTPC / Storage solution combined, I am open to an external solution.

Total Budget (HTPC+Storage): $2500

Requirements:
-15TB+ With scalability to expand in the future
-Play full 1080p content (Blu-Ray images)
-Run a dashboard (XBMC)

Option:
-Wireless streaming
-Game emulation (SNES/Genesis/NES)
-Control media content from an iPhone / Remote

Any advice would help. Thanks!
Definitely and unraid server. (most of your budget will probably go on HD)
->With that amount of storage you'll want reliability of which unraid can provide.

How many possible simultaneous streams?
Make sure you get a "strong" cpu for the task tho. ( i believe parity is intensive )
Longevity wise I'd recommend maybe a sandybridge i3 on a well spec'd h67 board? this combo will drop in £/$ soon due to Ivybridge.
Gigabit too is best.

On top of that I'd grab a zotac box probably the new i3 again and then slap in some ram (<8gb cheap so may as well 4gb recommended) and then a ssd corsair is my preference.

grab the constellation app on your iphone/ipad and for a remote get a HP IR receiver and a harmony remote (525/One)

Love XBMC too check this -> HERE (Last Updated: 25/01/2012)

check out the xbmcmediacentre.com competition!

My hate campaign on optical discs started young, sorry I can't help it. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll only be running one stream at a time.
get ready for issues BD ISO would stutter when you doing wireless streaming from the NAS.

20mbps or 40mbps are required depends of the audio and video codec , but even at 100mbps will shutter.

No matter what super NAS and supper router wireless with gigabyte ports you can get at home, blu-ray needs to run wired cat5 or cat6 from NAS or external hd, just do a little search on google .
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Storage Solution Advice0