Mini ITX build
Hey guy, I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new HTPC and I'm just wondering if there's anything I should be looking out for. It will be mainly used for streaming HD content from a 2TB NAS, Netflix etc. The components are below. Let me know if you can foresee any issues.

Case: Fractal Design Array R2 Mini ITX NAS Case £87.50
APU: AMD A6-3500 £55.28
Mobo: ASRock A75M-ITX - Socket FM1 - mini ITX £62.69
Memory: 4GB-Kit Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 CL9 £21.40
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") £62.04
HDD: WD Caviar Green 2TB Sata 6Gb/s £89.06
CPU Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B Low Profile CPU Cooler, SCBSK-2100 £41.98
PSU: 300 Watt SFX Power Supply Unit (with case)
IR Remote/Receiver: HP Media MCE KIT Remote Control USB IR Receiver Emitter £10.75
Wireless Keyboard: 2.4 GHz Mini Wireless Media Keyboard £30.28

Total Cost: £460.98 (~€570)

Down the line I'll be adding a DVB-T2/DVB-S2 card (based in Ireland pointing at the Astra 2 - Eurobird satellite) Is there any information on suitable cards etc. I can't seem to find much. Does anybody use XBMC for live TV?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. I'll be sure to update thread as build progresses.
why the Scythe Kozuti SCKZT-1000?
in your chosen ML03B case, you can fit a Scythe 2100!
Not sure what prices are like where you are but here in the US the price difference between the 64GB and 128GB SSDs are only $20-$30.
(2012-05-15, 17:06)eskro Wrote: why the Scythe Kozuti SCKZT-1000?
in your chosen ML03B case, you can fit a Scythe 2100!

Hmm, I think I was looking at a mini ITX build originally with a much lower profile and must have confused myself! Is there much of a difference between the 2 fans? The 2100 is about twice the price of the 1000. €40 vs €20...

(2012-05-15, 17:23)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Not sure what prices are like where you are but here in the US the price difference between the 64GB and 128GB SSDs are only $20-$30.

Well the 64GB is costing me €75 whereas the 128GB is €110. It will be basically just used for the OS though so I thing 64GB is plenty for my needs.

(2012-05-15, 17:06)eskro Wrote: in your chosen ML03B case, you can fit a Scythe 2100!
+1......

(2012-05-15, 17:47)OnyaByke Wrote: Well the 64GB is costing me €75 whereas the 128GB is €110. It will be basically just used for the OS though so I thing 64GB is plenty for my needs.
Most of us still use 32GB for Windows.......64GB should be plenty......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-05-15, 19:05)bluray Wrote:
(2012-05-15, 17:06)eskro Wrote: in your chosen ML03B case, you can fit a Scythe 2100!
+1......

+1

(2012-05-15, 17:47)OnyaByke Wrote: Well the 64GB is costing me €75 whereas the 128GB is €110. It will be basically just used for the OS though so I thing 64GB is plenty for my needs.
Most of us still use 32GB for Windows.......64GB should be plenty......

+1
OK, OP is now edited. I've dumped the 1000 in favour of the 2100. Should be good to go on purchasing now unless there's any other recommendations? Thanks for the help so far.
I've just been looking over the motherboard before I purchase and the way they name them is quite confusing. I'd ideally like to connect via optical to my pioneer amp for surround sound but the ASRock A75M-HVS doesn't have optical out whereas the ASRock A75M does?? What does the HVS stand for anyway?
not sure what it stands for.

but u may need another board here if u really need Optical OUT
OK, I've changed motherboard to one with optical out.

There doesn't seem to be too much info on XBMC PVR functionality. Which OS would be better for a build integrating live TV? ...Windows/Linux etc.? From what I can see XBMC acts as a front end and I'd need some PVR software as a backend?
correct OnyaByke, however, since i dont use this feature yet,
i couldnt really tell you which works best or anything.
sorry
(2012-05-16, 16:05)OnyaByke Wrote: Which OS would be better for a build integrating live TV?
I use HD TV tuner for OTA HD channels "mostly for sports.....", and I'm using 7MCE. It's probably the easiest and the best option for live TV. I'm very happy with PQ/AQ........

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks for that, I've built a 7MC HTPC before and the in built live TV support is very good. I'd like an all in one solution so this time I think I'll go with linux and in the next few months see what the XBMC PVR functionality is like.

As you can see from the thread title I've taken a bit of a u-turn from a micro to mini solution. I've changed the case and motherboard but everything else is staying the same (for the moment!!)
So I pulled the trigger and have now updated the OP with prices. The US seem to be priced much lower for some components! I decided on the Fractal as I will probably add some 2TB drives until I migrate to a separate unRAID server later in the year.

So everything should start arriving next week, now off to do some reading/research!!
(2012-05-18, 15:50)OnyaByke Wrote: So I pulled the trigger and have now updated the OP with prices. The US seem to be priced much lower for some components! I decided on the Fractal as I will probably add some 2TB drives until I migrate to a separate unRAID server later in the year.

So everything should start arriving next week, now off to do some reading/research!!

Can't seem to find the case on the US amazon site Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mini ITX build0