Win 10% of .rar-ed episdoes stop before end.
I never had this issue with Dharma, but about 10% of episodes do this in Eden.

I'll be watching a downloaded episode in the familiar split .rar, .r00, .r01, etc. format, and towards the end (usually about 80%), playback suddenly stops., Any episode that vies me this problem is packed properly, unpacks fine, and can be played back in the unpacked form without issue.

One huge reason for my lving XBMC so much is its' ability to detect and play these packed shows, and it's a b it of a pain to have to stop a show jsut to unpack it, then delete the compressed files to avoid dupes. It also breaks the flow of watching a good show. I also have no-so computer literate housemates adn they get flustered over having to stop watching until i can fix it.

Does anyoen else experience this?

Oops, forgot a patebin: http://pastebin.com/JdpCu0cN
Can you reproduce successful playback in Dharma with the exact same files?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I cannot.

I just tried it on my laptop with Dharma on it, and it also stops on the last episode I had this problem with. Though I had never experienced this before with Dharma, at any time. This leads me to think that the 'groups' have changed their methods.... Is there anything in my pastebin that gives a hint as to what is happening? I also had a looksee at my Dharma log and the error listed below is not present...

When teh playback stops, i get no error, no crash. It simply stops.

Okay isee at line 497:

Code:
17:58:45 T:4496 WARNING: XFILE::CRarDirectory::GetDirectory: rar lib returned no files in archive B:\Game of Thrones\Game.of.Thrones.S02E07.720p.HDTV.x264-IMMERSE\game.of.thrones.s02e07.720p.hdtv.x264-immerse.rar, likely corrupt

But a re-check in my BT client came out fine,, and it also unpacked fine, as I said.
I've had other reports on the boards here where .mkv files are stopping playback randomly. It seems ffmpeg based players are having issues with certain .mkv files and reporting read errors in the files. Non ffmpeg players seem to be able to play these same files without issue. This issue sure sounds similar.

From the log:
Code:
18:01:13 T:2208   ERROR: ffmpeg[8A0]: [matroska,webm] Read error at pos. 1286416550 (0x4cad28a6)
(2012-05-16, 17:43)kricker Wrote: I've had other reports on the boards here where .mkv files are stopping playback randomly. It seems ffmpeg based players are having issues with certain .mkv files and reporting read errors in the files. Non ffmpeg players seem to be able to play these same files without issue. This issue sure sounds similar.

I've seen the same issue... this just started happening for me, a lot, with 11.0 release.

I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Hm yes about 90% of my videos are .mkv. At least it's not just me. I don;t recall ever getting this with Dharma, though, and I've been on the 720p/mkv bandwagon since I first stated using XBMC. Though I only get this with the compressed, split files.

It'd be nice if XBMC gave the option to unpack a file from the GUI. I know it can, as it asked em to unpack a Frontline episode last week, when I was updating my library. Even jsut a temporary unpack, ad let BXMC delete the fiel when playback is done.
(2012-05-16, 17:43)kricker Wrote: I've had other reports on the boards here where .mkv files are stopping playback randomly. It seems ffmpeg based players are having issues with certain .mkv files and reporting read errors in the files. Non ffmpeg players seem to be able to play these same files without issue. This issue sure sounds similar.

From the log:
Code:
18:01:13 T:2208   ERROR: ffmpeg[8A0]: [matroska,webm] Read error at pos. 1286416550 (0x4cad28a6)

I'm finding most of my MKVs are not playable all the way through. I suspect the problem is NOT with the MKV but with XBMC and/or ffmpeg... I did not have this problem in 10.0, at all.

Code:
22:03:46 T:988   ERROR: ffmpeg[3DC]: [matroska,webm] Read error
22:03:46 T:988   DEBUG: CDVDDemuxFFmpeg::SeekTime - unknown position after seek
22:03:46 T:988   DEBUG: CDVDPlayer::Process - starting demuxer from: 2215000
22:03:46 T:988   DEBUG: CDVDPlayer::SetCaching - caching state 2
22:03:46 T:988  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
22:03:46 T:988   DEBUG: CDVDPlayer::SetCaching - caching state 0
22:03:46 T:988  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: closing audio stream
22:03:46 T:988  NOTICE: Closing audio stream
22:03:46 T:988  NOTICE: Waiting for audio thread to exit
22:03:46 T:2420   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio::Process - Abort received, exiting thread
22:03:46 T:2420  NOTICE: thread end: CDVDPlayerAudio::OnExit()
22:03:46 T:2420   DEBUG: Thread CDVDPlayerAudio 2420 terminating
22:03:46 T:988  NOTICE: Closing audio device
22:03:46 T:988  NOTICE: Deleting audio codec
22:03:46 T:988  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: closing video stream
22:03:46 T:988  NOTICE: Closing video stream
22:03:46 T:988  NOTICE: waiting for video thread to exit
22:03:46 T:2696   ERROR: Got MSGQ_ABORT or MSGO_IS_ERROR return true
22:03:46 T:2696  NOTICE: thread end: video_thread
22:03:46 T:2696   DEBUG: Thread CDVDPlayerVideo 2696 terminating
22:03:46 T:988  NOTICE: deleting video codec
22:03:46 T:988  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit() deleting demuxer
22:03:46 T:988  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit() deleting input stream
22:03:46 T:988   DEBUG: Thread CDVDPlayer 988 terminating
22:03:46 T:1796  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: finished waiting
22:03:46 T:1796   DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnStop from xbmc
22:03:46 T:1796   DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 1, from xbmc, message OnStop
22:03:46 T:1796   ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [smb://192.168.2.50/new/The Borgias - Season 2/The Borgias - 02x03 - The Beautiful Deception.mkv]
22:03:46 T:1796   DEBUG: Playlist Player: no more playable items... aborting playback
22:03:46 T:1092   DEBUG: Thread Background Loader start, auto delete: 0
The original poster said that it also happened when they tried the exact same files on Dharma.

That leads me to believe it's a change in the files that has caused incompatibility with ffmpeg across multiple versions.

Is this not also the case for you?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Yes, it does appear to be an ffmpeg player issue. Unfortunatley no one has been able to provide a sample file that exhibits this behaviour. Nothing I've tried fails to play all the way through.
Well the one that stopped, leading me to posting was Games of Thrones s02e07 720p.

But as I said, i never got this with Dharma at any time, but about 10 times with Eden... All i can guess is that there was some sort of change in the way those releases are packed. Since Livin also never had this problem with Dharma, maybe this is the case...

Overall, it's still somewhat rare, so I can put up with it.
(2012-05-26, 16:01)argh! Wrote: Well the one that stopped, leading me to posting was Games of Thrones s02e07 720p.

But as I said, i never got this with Dharma at any time, but about 10 times with Eden... All i can guess is that there was some sort of change in the way those releases are packed. Since Livin also never had this problem with Dharma, maybe this is the case...

You are lucky... I've had at least 30% of the MKVs (720p & 1080p) files do this - none of my AVI have problems (though I don't watch many)

Dharma never had this problem for me - and even the last nightly pre-eden worked. So whatever changed between the last nightly pre-eden and 11.0 gold messed things up.

I can post a file that does it once I get one again... I just deleted the last one that caused a problem, last night. It was also the smallest one yet, only 1GB in size.
Doesn't seem to be just XBMC related. Googled the errors.

Found similar problems at openelec, tuxbox, boxee, handbrake.

All fairly recent and all unresolved.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Anything that uses ffmpeg will be effected. At least until ffmepg is updated or patched for the issue.
(2012-05-27, 00:11)kricker Wrote: Anything that uses ffmpeg will be effected. At least until ffmepg is updated or patched for the issue.

anyway to easily back-rev the ffmpeg to a properly working version? Hoping for a simple "replace these DLLs" type of thing.

This is definitely a good example of a reason XBMC needs to easily allow use of different codecs/splitters/etc.
Why not just install Dharma (portable mode is fine) and try that?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10% of .rar-ed episdoes stop before end.0