Can I stream media to my friends XBMC over the internet?
xexe Wrote:The xbox is extremely limited and I know of no way you can do this securely.

If it was a linux or a windows HTPC it would be possible but not on an XBOX

actually, im considering building a standalone box using lifehackers guide:

Build an XBMC box out of an Acer AspireRevo nettop

the aspirerevo is windows based. does that help at all?

the thing is, i wanted XBMC as the native OS at boot. thought it would be easier. but should i use windows as main OS, and run XBMC on top of it, and use hamachi or something? or should i use linux?

thank you for your help! i really want to do this, and im surprised more people dont!
so, just to make myself clear.

i want to make an XBMC box, that can stream media from my home server, over the internet. preferably by compressing it. i cant BELIEVE this hasnt already been done. any help?
Sounds easy, but it isn't. There are a number of public domain apps on SourceForge that do this sort of thing, but I don't know of any that you could just drop onto your server and go.

JR
I'm looking to do this same thing, I think only way to do it is through tversity. If you find something else, let me know
Dismal Nihility, I thought about this some more and figured it should be as easy as adding the http source into xbmc, then tversity should pick up the rest and transcode if necessary. Reading the tversity forums, there's a trick to get it to transcode mkv's correctly (not using the install codec pack of tversity) so please look it up. I'm busy starting a new job this week so I won't have time to get around to it but please post your findings.
i was reading up on tversity (its the first ive heard of it) and i really THOUGHT that should be possible. im also quite busy with exams, but i should have something here within the next two weeks tops.
Hey Dismal, any luck with this? So I ended up getting tversity working. I also added it as a video source but the problem is that it's not showing the website? I don't know how XBMC displays http sources but I was hoping it would be as easy as this;

Add Video Source
http://username:password@ipaddress:41952/

It connects, but nothing shows so there's no way to navigate the site.

Can anyone with some basic knowledge of video sources (specifically http) offer some suggestions?

EDIT: Here's the debug info I get;

15:52:20 T:4816 M:2150203392 DEBUG: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory (http://username:password@ipaddress:41952/)
15:52:20 T:4816 M:2150203392 DEBUG: ParentPath = []
15:52:20 T:4816 M:2150203392 DEBUG: FileCurl::Open(0018D654) http://username:password@ipaddress:41952/
15:52:20 T:4816 M:2150203392 INFO: XCURL:Big GrinllLibCurlGlobal::easy_aquire - Created session to http://ipaddress
15:52:20 T:4816 M:2150363136 WARNING: CRingBuffer::ReadBinary, buffer underflow! max size: 0. trying to read: 1
15:52:20 T:4816 M:2150363136 DEBUG: FileCurl::Close(0018D654) http://username:password@ipaddress:41952/
15:52:20 T:1236 M:2150305792 DEBUG: thread start, auto delete: 0
15:52:20 T:1236 M:2150305792 DEBUG: Thread 1236 terminating
"stream media to my friends XBMC over the internet"'

I know that is very old post, but the idea is very good and still actual,
Here is project (or just concept):
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=82573

I believe that each of you would like to access all the content ( Movies, TV Shows, Pictures or Music ) at home and play it (stream to your PC/laptop) remotely when away on travel or you are with friends.

Now we have 2011 year, new technologies, new opportunities...

cheers
Why didn't anyone just suggest to the OP back in 05 to create a simple server using something such as embedded MMS feeds linked to all the files on his hard drive?

Jump on the friends FTP and upload the links via an .XML file whenever new files become available and just send them directly to the XBMC?

I do something similar to this now at a local-level. How is local any different than remote? The software don't care if the MMS is remote or local it just plays it..
i suggest using SMB and tunneling it through SSH.
OK... So here is the deal. You can stream your media to your friends over the internet as long as you have an internet connection with a GOOD upload speed.
As an example, I have a Fios connection with 35Mbps down 35Mbps up. I can and do stream my movies to friends with zero compression.

If you are on a cable connection, I would be willing to bet that the only thing you will be able to stream out to your friends is SD content with stereo sound.

Tunneling, ie... a VPN is your best bet if you want to be secure. If you want an easy to use and manage one I would suggest Hamachi. They now have mac and linux in beta so thats a bonus if you have a mixed environment.

SMB is NOT an option for streaming over WAN (WAN=Wide area network, ie the internet)
You have two options really UPNP in which you need to be on a VPN or FTP which you do not.

UPNP or DLNA works very well over WAN. The down side is that your friends will not be able to build a library from your source.
The setup for this is also the simplest. There is no port forwarding needed thus your system is not open for attack.
1 Create a VPN at hamachi.cc
2 Add your friend to hamachi network
3 install a UPNP/DLNA server. There are many to choose from, some free some not. I choose to pay for a copy of Twonky and I am very happy with it.
4 On your friends system open XBMC > video > add source > browse > UPNP > find your UPNP server and hit ok.

Thats it! As I said they can not build a library but a good UPNP server like twokey will make browsing your directories easy.

The FTP option can be done over a VPN or by getting a DDNS address.
I will not go into setting up a FTP server here as there is too much to cover. It does have its advantages as a library can be built using an FTP source.
Make sure you read up on the security issues with FTP and know what your are getting into before you set it up.

Good luck.
ritalin Wrote:OK... So here is the deal. You can stream your media to your friends over the internet as long as you have an internet connection with a GOOD upload speed.
As an example, I have a Fios connection with 35Mbps down 35Mbps up. I can and do stream my movies to friends with zero compression.

If you are on a cable connection, I would be willing to bet that the only thing you will be able to stream out to your friends is SD content with stereo sound.

Tunneling, ie... a VPN is your best bet if you want to be secure. If you want an easy to use and manage one I would suggest Hamachi. They now have mac and linux in beta so thats a bonus if you have a mixed environment.

SMB is NOT an option for streaming over WAN (WAN=Wide area network, ie the internet)
You have two options really UPNP in which you need to be on a VPN or FTP which you do not.

UPNP or DLNA works very well over WAN. The down side is that your friends will not be able to build a library from your source.
The setup for this is also the simplest. There is no port forwarding needed thus your system is not open for attack.
1 Create a VPN at hamachi.cc
2 Add your friend to hamachi network
3 install a UPNP/DLNA server. There are many to choose from, some free some not. I choose to pay for a copy of Twonky and I am very happy with it.
4 On your friends system open XBMC > video > add source > browse > UPNP > find your UPNP server and hit ok.

Thats it! As I said they can not build a library but a good UPNP server like twokey will make browsing your directories easy.

The FTP option can be done over a VPN or by getting a DDNS address.
I will not go into setting up a FTP server here as there is too much to cover. It does have its advantages as a library can be built using an FTP source.
Make sure you read up on the security issues with FTP and know what your are getting into before you set it up.

Good luck.

Ritalin - so let me get this correct.

1) If I set up a VPN connection between my server, and the remote client, I can do a UPnP connection. That I understand.

2) But what if my client (Apple TV 2) has XBMC running, but does not have a VPN client running. Can I instead connect two servers over VPN, and have my remote server, serve to my remote XMBC client (Apple TV 2) on that some LAN?
does anyone know y i cant run more than one device running xbmc on my network.
iv set up ipads and iphones apple tv 2 and can only run one at a timeHuh help
Gamester17 Wrote:Way to dig out a 2-year old thread! Anyway, I think to only way to stream over the internet to XBMC is via FTP, see the manual.

IPSec tunnels between several gateways also gives nice opportunities ;-)
blackdiamond Wrote:does anyone know y i cant run more than one device running xbmc on my network.
iv set up ipads and iphones apple tv 2 and can only run one at a timeHuh help

This seems unconnected with this thread. I'd repost your question as a new thread.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I stream media to my friends XBMC over the internet?0