Clone xbmc audio/video to multiple TVs and iPads from a main PC.
Hey forum,

I'm a huge XBMC fan and have lived on these forums while bored at work for the past 3+ years. I've always been able to find a clear cut solution to any issue I've had...

The thread explaining synchronizing multiple XBMC instances throughout the house seems too unstable for my liking. I'm currently looking at a solution in which the main computer of the house has a cloned video/audio to every other screen in the house - whether TVs or wall-mounted iPads or whatever...This could create a multi-room sound system as well as when playing videos it would play synchronized through the whole house. All you would need is obviously some very long cords and probably multiple GPUs on the main computer.

Does this not seem like a more simple solution...or am I just missing something or overlooking some detail?

Thanks in advance.

-Spike
What is your ultimate goal?
You want 1 machine cloned to all machines?

You might want to look at "SPLASHTOP" which is like VNC with sound
*but I dont think it will do 60 frames per second and/or you will lose definition

I think your reference to "synchronizing multiple XBMC instances throughout the house" may be in regards to sharing a database and/or some accessible shared directory for movies.
I am not speaking for all people, but this is how I use this. Each room (livingroom, guest, master bedroom, potentially ipad) can watch movies or tv shows independently or you may start a movie in the livingroom and want to watch the rest in bed. Here, in this setup, you can stop you movie (lets say you're 84 minutes into the movie), you can go into your bedroom and click on the movie and get option to continue at 84 minutes or start over from beginning.
Also, having guests in the house, they can watch their own movie selection vs being forced to watch what the livingroom is broadcasting

Yes - I want all machines cloned. And yes - I was referring to the Lifehacker article about sharing the same database - it seems too convuluded.

I want to be able to force each screen in the house to display the same thing and emit the same media...in sync.

For example - selecting music on the main computer would replicate playing music throughout the whole house and the visualizer and album artwork on every screen as well. It would be neat to be able to do this for parties.

This may be a pipe dream though - if so, I will probably invest in an expensive sonos system.

-Spike
Our guide is more updated than lifehacker: MySQL (wiki)

Currently we can't really do something like in your example. You can get close, but there's no a/v sync during playback and it would be quite the setup. There used to be a multi-room audio add-on for XBMC, but I don't think it has been updated in some time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Clone xbmc audio/video to multiple TVs and iPads from a main PC.0