Prelim UnRaid build...
(2012-05-17, 20:41)spencers Wrote:
(2012-05-16, 23:10)eskro Wrote: Sempron is perfect if u want to use your NAS as server only. (no sick/ no couch/ no sab....).

+1
Well, the Sempron 130 I'm running is more than enough for Sick/Couch/SAB.

Heck, it even runs Plex Media Server and streams to my iPad/iPhone without any problem.

I have the Sempron 145

I unlocked it to reveal an athlon ii x2 4450e which is a dual core 45W TDP processor. (PassMark 1196 compared to Sempron 145's 870)

Someone on the unraid forums called me stupid for using an unlocked cpu in an unraid build (due to potential stability issues) Big Grin

But as far as I know, AMD has not been selling the athlon ii x2 4450e chip for a long time. So the Sempron 145's that are on the market do not have one core disabled due to stability issues, but rather to keep production costs low (It is cheaper to manufacture an existing dual core and sell it as a single core as they already have the machinery and protocols in place for that product than to design a new single core product and change machinery and protocols to manufacture it. It would create a big upfront cost.)

Anyway my machine does sab, couchp, sickb, mysql (for both xbmc and digiKam for pictures), airvideo, crashplan and virtualbox with an XP client (500MB ram) that handles the security cam software (BlueIris). Not even a hiccup so far.
(2012-05-18, 20:31)KraziJoe Wrote: the samsungs are just rebranded Seagate drives, right?
Seagate recently purchased Samsung (like within the last year). Since the F4's were in production before the sale I'd guess that these drives are probably still produced in the same factory using the same process. So in my mind it is still a Samsung HDD the only difference is that the sales revenue goes to Seagate now.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Ok, stupid question, RAID is handled by Unraid and not the MB correct?
correct.

in other words, unraid uses a raid similar method that is software based.

unraid manages the parity drive

unraid also manages the user shares that can span multiple drives (for instance a "movies" folder can span several drives, but the smb share will be presented as one large folder)

the cool things about unraid (that are different than forms of raid) are that:

a) files are not striped across the array, so if you take a drive out and plug it into another machine, you can access all the files on it. (Same goes with if two of the drives were to die at the same time, the parity would be useless, but you would easily recover the files that reside on the other drives)

b) you can have user share split levels to control all files in certain folders to reside on the same drive (for instance you can have your "movies" folder span all drives, but each specific movie folder such as "Inception 2012 720P" would have all its files reside on the same disk. So when you're watching that movie with the external subtitles on, only that drive will be awake and others will be asleep)

c) cache drive minimizes write access to the parity drive and increases its longevity
(2012-05-18, 19:33)Beer40oz Wrote: Heard so many bad reviews on them Samsung F4 drives... on the unraid forums.

I have 10 of them for over 2 years without a fail compared to WD 2 out of 4 failed in a year.
(2012-05-18, 14:53)Harro Wrote: Samsung 2TB for 99 with this code EMCNEJB48. 60 hours left on this deal

So no need to update firmware or anything anymore?

From the comments on this it looks that it has been fixed.... Smile

(2012-05-19, 01:08)Beer40oz Wrote:
(2012-05-18, 14:53)Harro Wrote: Samsung 2TB for 99 with this code EMCNEJB48. 60 hours left on this deal

So no need to update firmware or anything anymore?

From the comments on this it looks that it has been fixed.... Smile

Nope, that was fixed about 15 months ago...
Updated my specs. started building and will be done in a week or so. Just taking my time building.
No firmware updated has been needed since 01/01/2011. All drives made after that date don't need the update.
All put together and preclear has begun!
The Samsung has been going strong... time will tell .... Wink it's a little louder then my other drives at start up but no big deal.
Ok, Now I am thinking of couch potato and Sickbeard. Does anyone have any knowledge of these apps? Do you pay for a usenet account or do you just use the free service?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Prelim UnRaid build...0