Can't add SMB share unless I split up contents??
So another SMB share post, but I didn't see this specific issue anywhere else (I did search first, forums and Google).

I have a Windows Home Server 2011, using a 3rd party plugin to get the JBOD-like array functionally back that they stripped out in 2011. I mention it, as I almost suspect this has something to do with it, although I have no other problems with any other media playback software so far. Needless to say my media is stored within said magical disk-spanning folders on the WHS.

I'm running XBMCBuntu. I was able to connect to my WHS by manually adding it (browsing for it would only show two Win7 workstations, but the WHS would not appear under Workgroup). I can add my "TV Shows" folder, but when I tried to add my "Movies" folder, I got the Error 2: Share not available. Scoured the permissions, messed with the firewall on the WHS, checked network settings on the XBMC box, couldn't find the problem. Doesn't seem like a network issue since I could access neighboring folders WITHIN the same share.

I thought perhaps there was a corrupt file inside my Movies folder, or a damaged ACL etc. I started moving my movies into a Temp1 folder in small batches, and I could browse it from XBMC! Until I got to 188 folders, equaling 139 GB, with 1028 total files. It's not a corrupt file, because I moved the 189th folder into Temp2, and I could browse that too. If I split my movies into three folders, I can browse them all. The second folder has 204 folders, 169 GB, 1089 total files. So, it's not a matter of the file/folder count in the root, or the total size.

I put one more movie subfolder (i.e. a folder named after the movie, with the movie and .nfo files etc) into Temp1, and I can't browse it. Move the folder back to Temp2, and I can browse Temp1 again (and still Temp2).

Any ideas? I don't have any Linux experience, but my understanding has always been that Linux is much better file/folder handling than Windows.
Just as a data point, we had this EXACT same problem using a FreeNAS server, and found that upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04 fixed the issue. So if your XBMCBuntu is not based on Ubuntu 12.04 you may want to upgrade. If it is, then I have no idea why you'd still be having the problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't add SMB share unless I split up contents??0