Linux XBMCbuntu lirc not working?!
Hi,

I'm having serious problems configuring xbmc to work properly (that's why I hate linux based systems....)

First I had ubuntu 12.04 and xbmc installed, if I booted into gnome and auto-opened xbmc once in a while the system will crash the gnome server and I needed to plug a keyboard to solve it.
Also the default volume was too low but I write a script to put it at 100% after login, and finally configured my medion x10 remote using this:
http://linux.mjnet.eu/?p=107

So i tried to load only the xbmc environment, the random crashes stopped but new problem: sound too low by default, alsactl save didn't work

I decided to format the pc and install xbmcbuntu.
now I have the volume good, and no crashes, but I can't put my remote to work properly so that kills again all the purpose of a media center without keyboard/mouse...
apparently lirc configs aren't loaded, but don't know why! any help on this one?

thanks!
Quote:(that's why I hate linux based systems....)

Yeah, nice. That is how to get free support.

My remote works out of the box on XBMCbuntu. Do not have to touch a thing.
(2012-05-18, 17:44)mmartins Wrote: now I have the volume good, and no crashes, but I can't put my remote to work properly

When you say this, do you mean some key presses work and others do not ? If that is the case then you can view what XBMC is seeing when you press each key via the log file. From there you can configure your own keymap to react to each button in the way you would like. A bit long winded but not so hard to do. There are lots of guides that show you how to configure lirc and run certain config files. I've no experience with this remote, maybe the wrong config file is being loaded ?

You could try post a full debug log to pastebin and I'm sure someone will take a look at it for you.
yes key presses work, but wrong actions like vol up button turns vol down, ok button don't work...

I guess the problem is with lirc and xbmcbuntu because with ubuntu 12.4 + xbmc it worked properly following this guide to configure lirc:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se...clnk&gl=pt

btw, i just remembered that I've tried to change my map config to try to swap the vol up and down to the right positions and nothing happened, so what I think is that Lirc isn't working properly
any suggestion?
Sounds to me that maybe you need to configure the lircmap.xml http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Use...ircmap.xml
if you saw the tutorial I've followed, there it is configured the lircmap...

and with the irw command in the console the output from the pressed keys are wrong. If in ubuntu 12.4 it was right I can only think that lirc is not beging load properly
If the output from irw is incorrect you can use irrecorde to generate a new custom lircd.conf file. http://www.lirc.org/html/irrecord.html

I've tested that too
I forgot to mention that I've changed some values of lircd.conf to test it because I had vol up and down swapped so I went to licd.conf and swapped the values from the 2, and nothing happened (yes iv'e restarted lirc)
We had something similar happen after installing Ubuntu 12.04. The problem is that Ubuntu installs lirc but does not allow the configuration popup to run. Therefore, it doesn't know what remote you are using.

We installed Synaptic using apt-get, then used Synaptic and found that lirc was already installed. So we marked it for complete removal and applied that. After it was removed, we then reinstalled it. While doing that, the window popped up that let us select our remote from a menu. Funny how much better it works when it know what remote you are using!

The other issue is that if for some reason you are using a custom configuration, such as a .lircrc file in your home directory, you can'tnecessarily just bring over one you've used in previous versions of Ubuntu and expect it to work, because many (but not all) of the button designations have changed. For example, maybe you created a file to launch xbmc when you press the blue button on the remote. In earlier versions, that section of the file might have contained a line like:

button = blue

But now it has to be:

button = KEY_BLUE

Many of the other button labels have changed as well.
That is actually a good suggestion, you could start by trying
dpkg-reconfigure lirc

and select the correct remote
Reinstalling is a great suggestion. I was having the same problem. I just uninstalled/reinstalled with Apt, chose the remote from the list and it works. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu lirc not working?!1