• 3(current)
Series shows up in "Files" but not in "TV Shows"
(2013-03-09, 09:36)artrafael Wrote: Welcome to the XBMC forums.

Check your debug log (wiki) right after you update your library and see why the TV shows aren't being added. If there are errors trying to access the TVDB site, it is likely due to this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158690

Thanks! I thought I looked around for an explanation before posting. Sorry about that.

I'll check the log. I just thought it'd be unlkely for the scraper to be completely down for 3-4 days in a row. Also, the GUI should report that xbmc can't connect to it.
(2013-03-09, 09:01)fgranlun Wrote: This is new. I used the same routine as always, the ONLY difference was this time the episode names and info wasn't scraped. I've used the same file names as always, the same procedure, the same folder names. They just don't show up. [in library view]

...I've updated, cleaned, updated again, restarted the computer, restarted xbmc, checked network drives, checked internet access, but nothing. It just won't work. This must be a bug of some kind.

Does ANYBODY have a solution to this? Not the usual "check the spellning, clean the database, check your folder" advice. I've done that. I need a real solution. ...

Please?

EDIT: - I didn't realize when I posted that I was in an IOS only forum. Appologies. Tried to delete response but couldn't.. Perhaps it will help those that find this through the search function as I did..

I have struggled with this for weeks. I fixed mine. I use Eden. I can't tell you why some of my folders worked for sure and some didn't. They work now and I can tell you what I use to do that.

1. My structure had separate episode folders - not just file folders. I was told I had to do that. It isn't required with Eden. The "Fixed" folders don't have episode files. They only have Season folders name "Season 1", etc.

2. My folders were all established using Media Companion and then setting up the episodes. I kept scanning with Media Companion and that didn't fix it.

2. I started using SIckbeard. You can see that recommended above. I didn't configure correctly so Sickbeard blew away my season files. I think I was supposed to do that when "adding shows" but I didn't and no biggie. Others may want to not make the same mistake. Batch highlighting and moving files is super easy in Windows 7 so it was easy to fix after the fact.

Anyway, Sickbeard created an NFO file and tbn file for every episode. One has to configure sickbeard as to where to put the corrected folders. I made the post processing folder the same folder I was trying to fix. One "adds" shows from the home screan. I added only the shows that needed to be fixed. From the "Manage" screen I selected mass update but only put a check mark beside the Show that I was fixing with this pass. I selected the "update", "rescan" and "rename option" and clicked submit. Checked the folders and everything was corrected. Moved the result into Season folders.

3. Next step, I updated XBMC. I went to "Files" first and selected the Show I was fixing. Then I typed the letter "i" - I guess I is for information. It brought up a new screen and I refreshed all the shows but with local (not internet) content. I then went to Videos>TV Shows and found the show. I again selected the show and again typed "i" and this time I selected "Get Thumb". I selected the Thumb and exited the screen. There is a bug in Eden that if you select the Thumb from "Files", it won't stick. If you select it from going through the Library side, it will stick.

4. It works. But it works better if you clean the names up first. Somebody mentioned Filebot. This will rename everything in the folder before you even get to Sickbeard. Do that first if you have wierd names like 1 Hatfields.and.McCoys.2012.Part.1.REPACK.720p.HDTV.x264-2HD.MKV. Sickbeard will leave a lot of that and it will still work with XBMC. Clean it up with file bot and you will like your results better.

5. I am now loading things that had not failed before and I am back to using Media Companion. I like a lot of what it does but I don't try to set up episode files. Media companion does not give me a separate NFO file for each episode, but somehow I still see the episode detail. I still clean up the file with FIlebot first. You don't even download it. It runs online. Cool program.

So that is what worked for me.

BTW - I see where the folder artwork is supposed to be named "folder.jpg". This is typically a poster or box art work. I like the banners. I go to TVDB and download the banner and save it to the Shows parent file. I name it "Folder1.jpg" and then browse to it as discussed above ("get thumb"). It seems to work just fine.

There is probably a more automated way to do this but I have seen this issue discussed over and over in various threads. I thought maybe if I told how I fixed mine (and I am a newbie), it might help others.

Good luck.
(2013-03-18, 06:19)wdpcpa Wrote:
(2013-03-09, 09:01)fgranlun Wrote: This is new. I used the same routine as always, the ONLY difference was this time the episode names and info wasn't scraped. I've used the same file names as always, the same procedure, the same folder names. They just don't show up. [in library view]

...I've updated, cleaned, updated again, restarted the computer, restarted xbmc, checked network drives, checked internet access, but nothing. It just won't work. This must be a bug of some kind.

Does ANYBODY have a solution to this? Not the usual "check the spellning, clean the database, check your folder" advice. I've done that. I need a real solution. ...

Please?

EDIT: - I didn't realize when I posted that I was in an IOS only forum. Appologies. Tried to delete response but couldn't.. Perhaps it will help those that find this through the search function as I did..

I have struggled with this for weeks. I fixed mine. I use Eden. I can't tell you why some of my folders worked for sure and some didn't. They work now and I can tell you what I use to do that.

1. My structure had separate episode folders - not just file folders. I was told I had to do that. It isn't required with Eden. The "Fixed" folders don't have episode files. They only have Season folders name "Season 1", etc.

2. My folders were all established using Media Companion and then setting up the episodes. I kept scanning with Media Companion and that didn't fix it.

2. I started using SIckbeard. You can see that recommended above. I didn't configure correctly so Sickbeard blew away my season files. I think I was supposed to do that when "adding shows" but I didn't and no biggie. Others may want to not make the same mistake. Batch highlighting and moving files is super easy in Windows 7 so it was easy to fix after the fact.

Anyway, Sickbeard created an NFO file and tbn file for every episode. One has to configure sickbeard as to where to put the corrected folders. I made the post processing folder the same folder I was trying to fix. One "adds" shows from the home screan. I added only the shows that needed to be fixed. From the "Manage" screen I selected mass update but only put a check mark beside the Show that I was fixing with this pass. I selected the "update", "rescan" and "rename option" and clicked submit. Checked the folders and everything was corrected. Moved the result into Season folders.

3. Next step, I updated XBMC. I went to "Files" first and selected the Show I was fixing. Then I typed the letter "i" - I guess I is for information. It brought up a new screen and I refreshed all the shows but with local (not internet) content. I then went to Videos>TV Shows and found the show. I again selected the show and again typed "i" and this time I selected "Get Thumb". I selected the Thumb and exited the screen. There is a bug in Eden that if you select the Thumb from "Files", it won't stick. If you select it from going through the Library side, it will stick.

4. It works. But it works better if you clean the names up first. Somebody mentioned Filebot. This will rename everything in the folder before you even get to Sickbeard. Do that first if you have wierd names like 1 Hatfields.and.McCoys.2012.Part.1.REPACK.720p.HDTV.x264-2HD.MKV. Sickbeard will leave a lot of that and it will still work with XBMC. Clean it up with file bot and you will like your results better.

5. I am now loading things that had not failed before and I am back to using Media Companion. I like a lot of what it does but I don't try to set up episode files. Media companion does not give me a separate NFO file for each episode, but somehow I still see the episode detail. I still clean up the file with FIlebot first. You don't even download it. It runs online. Cool program.

So that is what worked for me.

BTW - I see where the folder artwork is supposed to be named "folder.jpg". This is typically a poster or box art work. I like the banners. I go to TVDB and download the banner and save it to the Shows parent file. I name it "Folder1.jpg" and then browse to it as discussed above ("get thumb"). It seems to work just fine.

There is probably a more automated way to do this but I have seen this issue discussed over and over in various threads. I thought maybe if I told how I fixed mine (and I am a newbie), it might help others.

Good luck.

Thanks. I guess you could sum all of this up to fit into my description of TSOUIW, or "try shit out until it works", the process you go through during the week or so it takes you to install and then understand the mechanics of, say, Ubuntu Linux, or when you try to reassemble a carburetor for the very first time without your father-in-law overwatching your every step.

I sat down the other day and did just that on my XBMC installation (which was kind of a mental meltdown since the display is a 25 ft wide cinema screen, and the keyboard a slow responding &€%&("#%&€ bluetooth thingy with a built-in trackpad). I reinstalled XBMC, I tried a lot of extensions and rebuilt the database after carefully analyzing the log dump. Finally, everything just worked. Don't really remember why, or how, or for that sake when in the process, but everything is back to normal now.

These kinds of bugs are nonetheless worrying. It's the simplicity of XBMC that "sells" it. The very concept of just installing it to make everything work. When the product breaks in this way, the whole concept breaks with it.

Note to developers: There should really be more error messages in the GUI, telling you in plain english what's wrong. You shouldn't need to dive down into a nerdy log file to be able to find out what went wrong.
If i understand the problem all of you are having correctly:
Folders (with blank thumbs/icons) are showing in tv shows\titles , but not the actual files?

This worked for me:
Navigate to the series that is having problems within tv shows. Mark the folder, and press "c" to configure.
Then choose "TV Show Information"
Then "refresh"
xbmc will prompt to "refresh all episodes" click "yes"
From here you can manually choose which info to use.
Hey guys,

I'm having the same issue. Sad

Most of my shows show up just fine. However Pawn Stars for example - doesnt.

On the HDD its stored like this:

Pawn Stars -> Season 1 -> Pawn Stars.S01E01.Pilot.Boom.or.Bus.avi

Using XBMC 12 and in my TV shows I see the fan art for the show - but going into it - its empty - doesn't show the folders or the episodes.
I've tried cleaning library, updating it, using most of the fixes posted here - no joy.

Anything else I can try??
I have had this problem twice already, been searching internet for solutions and got my mate to help me (he's way more into this than i am) but he also couldnt figure out what the problem was.

I download everything using Sickbeard and Couchpotato to search for stuff, then Sab brings it home, then Couch and SB rename and move to files to a dedicated folder. In the beginning with Eden the TV Shows were showing but they kept empty with episodes, although showing in Files. After a few days of trial and only error i decided to reinstall XBMC and try again,,,, succes at first try....

Now i just recently upgraded to Frodo. fiddeling around a bit i stumbeled upon the same issue although nothing else had changed. The only thing i had been fooling around with, and remembering from when first i started using XBMC, where skins.

I reinstalled XBMC again, only using the AON NOX skin and 5 minutes later everything is running smooth as silk again.
I'm not advertising for this particular skin, i havent tested it with other skins but it is what i have found and may hopefully lead to a sollution to this most annoying issue.

I am not into programming software or anything like that, but could it be skin related?

I hope this will help and otherwise, good luck
It's not skin related, no. You probably just didn't set up things correctly: Adding videos to the library (wiki).
This is extremely annoying problem. It shows the season with art, cover, fanart etc. Everything is correctly setup and it doesnt show any episode.

I have one that have the EXACT same NFO file. One show correctly the other doesnt. Must be a bug.

This one works:
- Folder name: Tax Reform
- File name: Need to Know.2012.07.06 Tax Reform.mp4
- NFO file name: Need to Know.2012.07.06 Tax Reform.nfo
- NFO content:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<episodedetails>
  <title>Tax Reform</title>
  <rating>0</rating>
  <season>1</season>
  <episode>1</episode>
</episodedetails>

This one DOESNT work:
- Folder name: There is No Tomorrow
- File name: There is No Tomorrow.mp4
- NFO file name: There is No Tomorrow.nfo
- NFO content:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<episodedetails>
  <title>There Is No Tomorrow</title>
  <rating>0</rating>
  <season>1</season>
  <episode>1</episode>
</episodedetails>

Any rational explanation for such thing?
Rename the files as:
Code:
There is No Tomorrow S01E01.mp4
There is No Tomorrow S01E01.nfo
Thanks for the help.

The problem is that I will be lying. There is no season 1 episode 1. I already did this for the NFO file, now I also have to change the name of the file for something that doesn't even exist? Its just 1 documentary, there is no season, no episode. What is the point of the NFO file?

Still there is no explanation why the first one works and the second doesnt, since none of them have S01E01 in the file name.
If I need to adjust the naming to make XBMC recognize the file, its ok, I understand. But now I'm at the point that I have to invent things that doesn't exist in order to make it recognize....
Then use movie NFO data: NFO files (wiki).
I dont want documentaries appearing together with movies.
Then use custom home items (wiki).
@douglasrac,
Try to keep this to a single thread so people don't have to respond in multiple places, such as over here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=173095
Is there perhaps a specific way everything should be named? I'm having a similar issue with TV Shows not showing up in the library.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Series shows up in "Files" but not in "TV Shows"0