Opinion of Motherboard for UnRaid Server
Hey everyone, I wanted to find out if my spare motherboard would work for ESKRO's 20 HDD build. I have this spare MB laying around and wasn't sure if it would really work.

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

I was just hoping to save a little on the build, if it is possible to use it.

Thanks
Im not sure if this would apply to that board, but while researching unrelated problems on my unraid gigabyte build. I found this info, thinking it was the cause for my headaches (which it wasnt). This 'HPA Host Protected Area' problem is specific to certain Gigabyte boards.. Not sure if yours is on the list, but it may be worth a read. I didnt read in depth what causes the issues because I was on a mission to track down my issues but maybe one of the 'hardware guys' chould chime in (eskro, bluray, poofy, and others)

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.ph..._Index#HPA
Good luck bro..

(2012-05-20, 15:24)jamesk9 Wrote: Im not sure if this would apply to that board, but while researching unrelated problems on my unraid gigabyte build. I found this info, thinking it was the cause for my headaches (which it wasnt). This 'HPA Host Protected Area' problem is specific to certain Gigabyte boards.. Not sure if yours is on the list, but it may be worth a read. I didnt read in depth what causes the issues because I was on a mission to track down my issues but maybe one of the 'hardware guys' chould chime in (eskro, bluray, poofy, and others)

Good luck bro..

Good catch!

I have that MB and I used it in my server for a few months. It worked perfectly with unraid.
(2012-05-20, 15:24)jamesk9 Wrote: Im not sure if this would apply to that board, but while researching unrelated problems on my unraid gigabyte build. I found this info, thinking it was the cause for my headaches (which it wasnt). This 'HPA Host Protected Area' problem is specific to certain Gigabyte boards.. Not sure if yours is on the list, but it may be worth a read. I didnt read in depth what causes the issues because I was on a mission to track down my issues but maybe one of the 'hardware guys' chould chime in (eskro, bluray, poofy, and others)

Good luck bro..
As long as the Backup BIOS to HDD option in your BIOS is disabled by default then you can use the MB. Gigabyte revised the BIOS on most of their older boards so this would not be a problem and every newer board that I have looked at has this corrected as well. Like I said, I have used that MB and there is no HPA problem.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Did you use it for the 20 drive build?
(2012-05-20, 17:43)rhmclay Wrote: Did you use it for the 20 drive build?
Nope. Used it with the free version so only 3 HDDs.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Opinion of Motherboard for UnRaid Server0