Win If Intel for desktop then what? Mini ITX (not HTPC)
(2012-05-21, 16:41)Beer40oz Wrote: Oh cool so no need to buy an aftermarket cooler.... nice....

Unless you get a 'T' CPU that already comes with the low-profile cooler, then you'd need an aftermarket cooler. 37mm like the NT07-1156 is the maximum height I'd go. When you said 'mods' I took it to mean like drilling holes or cutting brackets.
Ok Dougie just looking at options.... I do love building my own. I guess I can keep my Lian Li that I have..... will see....
(2012-05-21, 16:36)Dougie Fresh Wrote: No mods. I forgot to say that the CPU cooler is the Silverstone NT07-1156. It's very quiet and runs around 50C with the CPU fan switch on low and the BIOS on "silent".
I returned the Silverstone NT07-1156, because it is louder than the Intel CPU cooler.....the clip on posts are very flimsy too.....

(2012-05-21, 16:14)Beer40oz Wrote: Hi.....

Really am considering to give intel a try for an office PC.... well my main PC

This Shuttle SZ68R5 and the i3-2100....

what you think? power supply that comes with it... i bet the fan is loud.... go PICO?
That should work.....and you can start off with everything original, and play around with bios to lower fan speed........if it is still too noisy, you can always go with Pico later....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-05-21, 18:04)bluray Wrote:
(2012-05-21, 16:36)Dougie Fresh Wrote: No mods. I forgot to say that the CPU cooler is the Silverstone NT07-1156. It's very quiet and runs around 50C with the CPU fan switch on low and the BIOS on "silent".
I returned the Silverstone NT07-1156, because it is louder than the Intel CPU cooler.....the clip on posts are very flimsy too.....

I guess it's like everything else -- your mileage may vary. Of the four or so different Intel-specific CPU coolers I've used (3 in the review I wrote plus the stock), the Silverstone was the quietest to my ear. It has a switch on it (low/high) that when set on low makes it very quiet. By default it's set to high which is too much. Setting it to low makes all the difference. At low it's able to cool fine. The clips are the same as the Intel stock CPU cooler so you just have to know what you're dealing with. If you're used to the stock clips then these are fine. Yes, the clips aren't as good as screw-in types but on the flipside you don't have to remove the motherboard to install it. I've moved my NT07-1156 several times from system to system without issue. Perhaps you had a bad fan or didn't know about the switch or just bad luck of the draw and you got a lemon.

(2012-05-21, 18:38)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Perhaps you had a bad fan or didn't know about the switch or just bad luck of the draw and you got a lemon.
I tried the switch, but when switched to LOW the temperature was higher than Intel stock cooler.....

(2012-05-21, 20:22)bluray Wrote:
(2012-05-21, 18:38)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Perhaps you had a bad fan or didn't know about the switch or just bad luck of the draw and you got a lemon.
I tried the switch, but when switched to LOW the temperature was higher than Intel stock cooler.....

Since you returned it, what did you end up getting instead that worked for you?
(2012-05-21, 22:09)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-05-21, 20:22)bluray Wrote:

As I mentioned several times, I re-installed Intel CPU. I don't have problem with Intel CPU to begin with, but I took advice from a friend. He built the i3 with Intel cooler at first, and then he installed the Silverstone CPU cooler. I used his PC, and I didn't notice any different between his Intel CPU cooler and Silverstone CPU cooler either. I tried it anyway. To me, Intel CPU cooler is very silent especially when select "Cool N Quiet" and lower the fan level in the bios. All my PC's are with stock cooler, and I never have any overheating problem with it either......
(2012-05-21, 23:03)bluray Wrote:
(2012-05-21, 22:09)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-05-21, 20:22)bluray Wrote: I tried the switch, but when switched to LOW the temperature was higher than Intel stock cooler.....

As I mentioned several times, I re-installed Intel CPU. I don't have problem with Intel CPU to begin with, but I took advice from a friend. He built the i3 with Intel cooler at first, and then he installed the Silverstone CPU cooler. I used his PC, and I didn't notice any different between his Intel CPU cooler and Silverstone CPU cooler either. I tried it anyway. To me, Intel CPU cooler is very silent especially when select "Cool N Quiet" and lower the fan level in the bios. All my PC's are with stock cooler, and I never have any overheating problem with it either......

Agreed. I always go Intel stock first. I've only ever had one noisy stock cooler which in retrospect may have been bad temp/RPM management by the motherboard. The only time I switch out is when it won't fit -- which in the case of most of my cases is all the time now. I have a nice collection of stock coolers.

AMD stock coolers on the other hand... they should know it's not 2007 anymore...

Ok so if I was going to go with the i3-2100 from Microcenter .....

What motherboard you guys recommend? ITX.......

ASRock B75M-ITX

Foxconn H67S

BIOSTAR TH61

This are the price range I wan't to spend....
(2012-05-22, 04:43)Beer40oz Wrote: Ok so if I was going to go with the i3-2100 from Microcenter .....

ASRock B75M-ITX

Foxconn H67S

BIOSTAR TH61

If you want to try something new, this one "BIOSTAR TH61ITX+RCH" included a bunch of extra stuffs.....

(2012-05-22, 04:43)Beer40oz Wrote: Ok so if I was going to go with the i3-2100 from Microcenter .....

ASRock B75M-ITX

Foxconn H67S

BIOSTAR TH61

go for at least i3-2105 + ASRock B75M-ITX
** i3-2105 CPU should be used with DDR3-1066MHz or DDR3-1333MHz memory sticks only **
I'd get the i3-2125 from MicroCenter and the ASUS P8H77-I motherboard (if you can find it).
(2012-05-22, 18:01)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I'd get the i3-2125 from MicroCenter and the ASUS P8H77-I motherboard (if you can find it).

I'll look into it..... I don't want this to get extremely too expensive.
If not I'll build me another A6-PACK....
It's so silent that I know I will love it........... should be fine as a desktop for what I need. Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
If Intel for desktop then what? Mini ITX (not HTPC)0