How to update AMD drivers on XBMCbuntu?
oopsy, i opted for Git.. looking good.. however i use NFS shares, and its giving me the following errors when trying to play something.

20:16:54 T:140226318747520 ERROR: Unable to load libnfs.so.1, reason: libnfs.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
20:16:54 T:140226318747520 ERROR: NFS: Error loading libnfs (HandleDyLoad).
20:17:01 T:140226318747520 ERROR: Unable to load libnfs.so.1, reason: libnfs.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
20:17:01 T:140226318747520 ERROR: NFS: Error loading libnfs (HandleDyLoad).
its ok sorted,

sudo apt-get install libnfs1 sorted it
wsnipex thanks for your help with this.

all looking ok so far...

however, i have 2 movies that are now displaying artefacts/garbage allover when playing them (Bee Movie, and Men In Black 1).. they both played ok previous to following the steps to change to the XBMC PVR build with Xvba.

Heres a debug log on paste bin while the movie is playing.

http://pastebin.com/EzEse15W
hmm, could you post a mediainfo for the two files? and please in the xvba thread, we should not hijack this one
Hi wsnipex, thanks for bearing with me with this...

I have reinstalled xbmcbuntu a couple of times and always get the same result when following your instructions above. ie. the revo hangs at the xbmc splash screen with the five white dots all white.

Whilst its in this state I can connect to it using Putty, so I ran the commands you requested above. unfortunately the results were not encouraging:

fglrxinfo
Error: unable to open display (null)

dpkg -l | grep fglrx
(returns nothing)

and also nothing is written to the debug log - I can see much older entries from the installation and first run but nothing from this boot attempt.

Not very helpful I'm afraid, sorry.

Any ideas? Am I the only person who can't upgrade the drivers in xbmcbuntu running on a RL70?

Thanks again for your patience.

Its hard to tell what exactly goes wrong if you don't give the exact output of your commands.

If you are willing to reinstall, I suggest to try this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=116996
I have pasted the output of the commands directly from the terminal window into my replies.

ie.
sudo sh amd-driver-installer-8.98-x86.x86_64.run --buildandinstallpkg

This APT has Super Cow Powers.
Unable to install dpkg-dev. Please manually install and try again.

fglrxinfo
Error: unable to open display (null)

dpkg -l | grep fglrx
<returns nothing, just shows the command prompt again>

I'll have another attempt from a fresh install and pastebin the entire terminal window contents.

Yeah, I've been thinking about an alternative route such as reinstalling from your thread above or maybe installing ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Ultimately, I've got a few .mkvs which play fine on my old wdtv live but not on the RL70, and I'm hoping a driver update will sort this. (Actually I think buying the RL70 was a big mistake, I at least expected it to play files my old wdtv did).

Anyway, thanks for your time and advice, I appreciate it's not easy! Cheers.

(Just read your xvba thread and that does use 12.04 ubuntu minimal, I'll give that a try later...)
as you see, fglrx cannot be installed, because you need to install "dpkg-dev"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to update AMD drivers on XBMCbuntu?0