XBMC on D-Link (DSM-510)
Hello everybody,

Well i found this thing in my room: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=542#

thus im using XBMC on my HTPC (an old laptop) for a while i'm wondering if i can install XBMC on this media player.

Anyone got some ideas?

Greetings
Silvio
From the looks of it, it has it's own embedded custom operating system and I think it would be next to impossible to install your own OS on there.
Well, apple tv also has it own OS embedded on the system, but its also possible to "overwrite" it with XBMC.

so my hope was that its possible to put XBMC somehow via putty (similar to the apple tv solution) on that media player.
Hi I've got the 520 version and would love to know if this can be done
(2012-05-21, 11:52)silb Wrote: Well, apple tv also has it own OS embedded on the system, but its also possible to "overwrite" it with XBMC.

so my hope was that its possible to put XBMC somehow via putty (similar to the apple tv solution) on that media player.

That is very true, however due to the huge popularity of the Apple TV there will have been great demand and lots of programmers/hackers? involved in the process. Aswell as ATV is closely linked to iOS from the iphone and we all know how that went.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just that I really can't see anyone spending the time and effort getting something like XBMC working on an obscure and obsolete system which would bring benefits to such a limited amount of people.

Just my 2 cents by the way!
Quote:I'm not saying it's impossible, just that I really can't see anyone spending the time and effort getting something like XBMC working on an obscure and obsolete system which would bring benefits to such a limited amount of people.

Yea i thought the exact same way. You get almost zero google results if you search for it. The DSM-510 isn't that famous that people spend time to get XBMC up and running. But maybe someone got the trick? Or is there a way for a similar player and i "just" can adopt it to my player?
If it was possible (which I don't think it is) then you would still be looking at several months (or years) of doing your own port of XBMC to the device.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on D-Link (DSM-510)0