Win Media server software
I'm looking for media server software to host all my files/movies/shows etc.

I would love to have free software or software that doesnt cost to much (120$ for 6 drives is too much).

So it wille only be used as a nas but a ui interface would be nice.

Things I need:

- raid 5 with parity
- WOL
- reduce the rpm of unused disks
- ui interface would be nice
- 6+ drives

No one? Sad
Sorry mate, I run my storage from UnRaid which is no windows. I used to run Windows Home Server but became very disappointed over time as the product "matured".

Your best bet is to try an optimize a windows server install to your needs or check out UnRaid or any other storage "appliance".
Not sure if you were talking about Unraid when you said (120$ for 6 drives is too much). But that is the price of the unRAID Server Pro Registration key, which does up to 21 drives, not 6. The 6 drive version (unRAID Server Plus Registration) is $69 and IMO a bargain.

Sorry I couldn't help with your request.

I just built an unRaid server with mostly parts I had laying around,
The cool thing was that I first used the Free Version of unRaid to try it out.

I was so happy, I brought the 6-Disc version for $69.00 (and well worth it)
Right now I have only 250GB drives in there for a total of 1TB,..but that'll do for me right now.
With the current setup,...I can gradually get bigger drives and replace the smaller ones,..one by one over time.

So the max capacity I can grow to will be 15TB which is pretty awesome for me.

The other great thing about unRaid is that you can use all different sizes of drives.
Something you can't do with typical Raid

Check out one of my prior post regarding my build and you can see the pictures of the server.
oh and I have it set to spin down the drives after 15 minutes of no use.
Keeps getting better every time I think about it.
Nothing beats Unraid for a media server.

except FreeNAS Wink
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
I haven't checked in a while: does FreeNAS allow for unstriped RAID?

If your gonna use Windows take a look at drivebender I use it and so does some of my family and it is great run on win7
(2012-05-23, 20:57)poofyhairguy Wrote: I haven't checked in a while: does FreeNAS allow for unstriped RAID?

No it doesn't. But it offers zfs and raid5.

Ubuntu Server + aufs + snapraid can easily beat UNRAID.
Well Here Go Again lol
WE ALL WE GOT
No its ok. I won't get into I promise. I just got back lol.

(2012-05-23, 21:19)scalda Wrote: If your gonna use Windows take a look at drivebender I use it and so does some of my family and it is great run on win7

I use it too.

It's awesome. And it's 20 bucks right now.
(2012-05-23, 20:07)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: I just built an unRaid server with mostly parts I had laying around,
The cool thing was that I first used the Free Version of unRaid to try it out.

I was so happy, I brought the 6-Disc version for $69.00 (and well worth it)
Right now I have only 250GB drives in there for a total of 1TB,..but that'll do for me right now.
With the current setup,...I can gradually get bigger drives and replace the smaller ones,..one by one over time.

So the max capacity I can grow to will be 15TB which is pretty awesome for me.

The other great thing about unRaid is that you can use all different sizes of drives.
Something you can't do with typical Raid

Check out one of my prior post regarding my build and you can see the pictures of the server.
oh and I have it set to spin down the drives after 15 minutes of no use.
Keeps getting better every time I think about it.

^^ +1 ^^ That's exactly what I did, with a old Dell mini tower I had laying around. I've got it up to 4 drives now, and it works great!

(2012-05-23, 20:21)poofyhairguy Wrote: Nothing beats Unraid for a media server.

Listen to this guy^^. He isn't known to steer someone wrong.

Just my 2 cents, tho.

My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
Ok, I can't help myself. This place is great. Lol.

I like Unraid because it is a RAID solution that works well with consumer hardware. I have used an Ubuntu server for a while, and Unraid SMB performance is unmatched beyond my best tweaks. I probably could beat it eventually, but why once your biggest files don't skip? I would prefer it over snapraid because realtime parity is much better IMHO. Hell, I won't even use a cache drive- It is nice not to worry about what is protected.

If you build the box right (like use one RAM stick and an efficient single rail PSU) it can go easy on energy as well. The fact it powers down drives allows them to last longer as well as save energy. Plus its ability to have real drive diversity is amazing. I have a box with 12 different models of 1.5TB and 2TB drives in a single array. If a whole model is bad (and I have found a few), I get by just fine. Any other stable realtime parity solution I know of can't do that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media server software0