Win Media server software
i run Windows Home Server 2011 w/Rocketraid 2720SGL and before that WHS V1 w/Drive Extender.
No complaints here, both have worked flawlessly.
I just read through most of the info on the drive bender site. Seems like another cool solution, but I couldn't find a good description of how it handles redundancy. This is from their site.

DATA REDUNDANCY
To further ensure data safety, Drive Bender can automatically duplicate any file added to a Drive Bender pool. File duplication is determined at the folder level and occurs on the fly as data is being written to the pool. More importantly, files are only duplicated across physical drives ensuring maximum safety and data redundancy.

So, does it basically copy every file onto another physical drive? If that is so, then each drive needs another drive of the same physical size in order to achieve redundancy. I am guessing that I am wrong about that, but would like to understand this a bit more. See a couple of users here are happy with the solution and I would like to understand it a bit more. Is there a WIKI or something that explains how it works?

(2012-05-24, 22:27)Diggs Wrote: I just read through most of the info on the drive bender site. Seems like another cool solution, but I couldn't find a good description of how it handles redundancy. This is from their site.

DATA REDUNDANCY
To further ensure data safety, Drive Bender can automatically duplicate any file added to a Drive Bender pool. File duplication is determined at the folder level and occurs on the fly as data is being written to the pool. More importantly, files are only duplicated across physical drives ensuring maximum safety and data redundancy.

So, does it basically copy every file onto another physical drive? If that is so, then each drive needs another drive of the same physical size in order to achieve redundancy. I am guessing that I am wrong about that, but would like to understand this a bit more. See a couple of users here are happy with the solution and I would like to understand it a bit more. Is there a WIKI or something that explains how it works?

Yes, that is correct, it duplicates files between hdds like "raid1". You can specify folder for duplication to another drive. Second drive can be any size, but if you gonna duplicate whole 2TB drive then you will need drive in identical size. WHS1 also has this feature.

Check this out - http://www.greyhole.net

Greyhole has the same idea, it is for linux and free. You will better understand process from their slides.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media server software0