What RAID setup is best for NAS/XBMC usage?
I plan on ordering a 5 bay NAS, either Synology or QNAP. I am confused how RAID works. I wanted to use the NAS as a file server, xbmc media storage, and a time machine backup for all my macs. I will start off with 2x3TB HDD. I'm assuming that RAID0 is what I'm looking for? Having the most amount of storage is most important to me.

What RAID setup do you guys suggest I go with? Is it possible to set up the NAS without RAID? I want to be able to add new HDD as I see fit and only see it as 1 Physical Volume. This RAID thing confuses me, because I hear in order to get most space out of your HDD, you will need to get the same exact HDD, meaning SIZE, MODEL, etc.

Since I will be starting off with 2x3TB HDD, later on when those get full I will probably get a 4TB to add to the existing bays, does this mean it will add 4TB to my existing setup? For example I should see a total capacity of 10TB now once I add in that 3rd (4TB HDD)? Or do I need to get the same exact size and model in order for this to work?
I'm sure someone will explain this better, but RAID 0 is not what you want. If you want to set up RAID with 2 hdd, you should do RAID 0.

People set up RAID for redundancy / mirroring, so if one of your HDD fail, data is still available to retrieve in the other hdd. RAID 0 is not recommended at all for NAS set up in my opinion. If you were to use RAID 0, and one of hdd fails, then you lose all your data. People usually set up RAID 0 for their OS drive because RAID 0 basically double your read speed.

It is not required to have the same exact size and model for RAID, but it is recommended. At least same size that is. because if you were to do RAID 1 with a 2 tb hdd and a 3 tb hdd, you will only have 2 tb available.

You may want to do more research on RAID before you order anything for NAS.

Just wanted to give you a quick reply that RAID 0 is not recommended for NAS..
Well since I'm starting out with 2 drives (2x3TB Seagate Baracudas). And I have a total of 5 slots. Space is very important. So I'm guessing I should stick with SHR (Synology Hybrid Raid) then? When I run out of room on my drives, I want to be able to buy new HD and just put them in to increase storage, etc.
Sounds like you should use synologys own raid. It's scaleable with different sizes and safe in means of disk crashes. I use it myself it works great.
Have you checked out unRaid,..the software is free for up to 3 drives.
(2012-05-21, 17:44)turbinez Wrote: I am confused how RAID works.

That's fair. Here's a brief overview.

RAID (or Redundant Array of Independent Disks) on a NAS is really all about that first "R" -- Redundant.

The purpose of a RAID (on a NAS), the real virtue, is that it protects your data from drive failure. As you get more and more data, and more and more drives, some are bound to fail. RAID makes sure that, when that happens, you can safely remove that drive, insert another, and have a fully functioning array once more.

Jangjong pointed out that there are various kinds of RAID, and you tell them apart by their number. RAID 0 gives you maximum speed, maximum space, and maximum risk. Here's a basic model (VERY basic) -- if you have a file with ten parts, your RAID controller will write 5 parts to one drive, and 5 parts to the other. That lets you use both drives simultaneously, which is fast, and it lets you use all the space on both drives, which is a lot. However, if one drive fails, you lose 5 parts of a ten part file, and that means you lose the whole file. If one drive fails (which will eventually happen) you lose everything on both drives. RAID 0 works great for certain applications, but not this one.

RAID 1 is totally the opposite. That same 10 part file gets written to one drive completely, and then the other drive completely. If one drive fails, you have an identical copy of that drive ready to go, so a failure doesn't cost you any data or time. It's a cool system, but it means that you only get to use half of your disk space, since everything is being written twice. You also need to build a RAID 1 two drives at a time, so when you want to add a drive, you have to add 2. You would not be able to use all 5 bays of your NAS, because there would be no mirror for that 5th drive. Clearly, this isn't a good solution for you either.

Between the recklessness of RAID 0 and the total inefficient safety of RAID 1 are a whole lot of other options. RAID 2-5, a bunch of crazy ones people get a PhD in Computer Science for inventing, and Synology's own style of RAID (which seems to be RAID 5 with a different name).

The bad news is this: 2 drives isn't really a RAID. You're either going to get 3 tb of usable space and total security, or 6 TB of usable space and no security at all. To really use a RAID system, you need some more drives. Unless you run RAID 0 and risk all your data, you'll only get 3TB of space out our your drives. One more 3TB drive will give you 6TB of usable space, and 3TB of backup. RAID really requires drives to be the same size, so if you add a bigger drive, the extra space cannot be used. A 4tb drive will be treated like a 3tb drive.

You can use their calculator at this link: "http://www.synology.com/support/RAID_calculator.php?lang=us"

tl;dr
You'll want to buy at least one more 3tb drive, and use a system like RAID 5 to make the most use of space. You'll lose a lot of space to your RAID, but you gain reliability.
RAID 5 is your best option IMO because you lose the least amount of space for redundancy, get increased read and write performance, and the array can still handle one drive failing without data loss.

The amount of space is the total number of drives minus 1 with a minimum of 3 drives. Also aren't the NAS units with more than 2 slots very expensive? If you think you can handle it, building a computer is much more economical.

Here's the guide I used for setting up my home server in Ubuntu:
http://dancingborg.blogspot.ca/2011/05/u...raid5.html
With a generic device wait until you can fill it with the same HD then run a RAID 5. Get 2x5 if you have to. If you get something more fancy like a Synology or Drobo with a special internal RAID you can probably start an array with two or three drives.

(2012-05-24, 03:44)poofyhairguy Wrote: With a generic device wait until you can fill it with the same HD then run a RAID 5. Get 2x5 if you have to. If you get something more fancy like a Synology or Drobo with a special internal RAID you can probably start an array with two or three drives.

The linux mdadm package is extremely powerful. You can start with 2 drives in RAID 1 and then convert the array to RAID 5 when you get a 3rd hard drive and it supports RAID 5 dynamic capacity expansion too.
After much reading about RAID and all I decided not to do a RAID setup at all and just have each disk be its own independent volume instead. I don't need the redundacy, and if one drive is about to fail, I can always move those files to another drive and replace the bad drive with a new one. This makes it easy to pinpoint what drive is going bad and exactly which files I will lose.

(2012-05-24, 13:54)turbinez Wrote: if one drive is about to fail, I can always move those files to another drive and replace the bad drive with a new one. This makes it easy to pinpoint what drive is going bad and exactly which files I will lose.

Hence.....

The reason why we recommend unRAID! unRAID will alert you when a drive is on it's way out instead of relying on HD head crashes and grinding sounds, by then it may be too late. unRAID and it's parity will allow you seemless transfer of the data that was on the failing drive to a new one. Even better, you will still be able to enjoy all of your media until the failed HD is replaced! If you care about your media(assuming you do based on your post), you should really investigate unRAID or some other type of NAS back-up weather software or RAID controlled!

One thing to keep in mind... your HD's WILL fail eventually and you may not be able to save your media once you ID a failing drive unless you add some form of protection. Good luck with whatever you decide!Wink
Unraid is amazing given the unmenu package support for cp sb and sabnzbd. If you want a pvr and have a usenet account, it's a no brainer.
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
Okay, so if I start off with 2x3TB HDD, and do a RAID 1 setup, my total amount of space will be 3TB? and later if i decide and add a 4TB HD to my setup and convert it to RAID 5, how much space total will I have?

I already ordered my Synology NAS, so its either i start off with Synology Hybrid Raid or RAID1. If I go with SHR instead, how much room will I get with 2x3TB HD?

Would you guys recommend SHR or RAID1 for a 2x3TB HDD setup? Space is more important to me than redundancy
I'm sure turbinez has found a solution since sept 2008. But all who are trying to find a solution in 2013 and ahead - here my own experience as neutral and un-dependent IT Engineer:

One of the major advantages Synology has, compared to others, is for me the personal Cloud stuff. Buying two DS412+ (or two DS1512+) and place them on two different locations - mirroring each other over net, it helps for a great deal of problems. Raid 0 and Raid 1 at the same time? Mirroring gets a whole new meaning. When any of your disks has an error, you can change the drive, without any problems. After inserting a new drive, your disk will quietly fill up again. Magic! You can work with your data and save it on both sides - And always have the same data on both sides. Nearly no need for any Backup system anymore. When flood, fire or earthquake occurs, or you get unwanted visitors and they take your computer-stuff, you still have all the data on the another place. You can replace the Hardware and download all your Apps on Appstore again for free - and you'll have stored all your data in your personal cloud and can be up and run after such a disaster, in just hours. You know where your data are. Using Hitachi Enterprise 7500 4TB 24/7 Harddrive, it will be super-save for your data for many years.

No leakage to governments, strange servers and secret services in foreign countries. It's your own cloud. You can use your data, watching your movies, showing your pictures wherever you are in the world. Easy for conferences or teaching - you can show your material directly from your Synology NAS at home. More powerful then ever in history. For me a perfect solution when travel a lot, streaming my music to my iPad in the hotel, airport or wherever I like. Making presentations around the planet, directly from my personal cloud at home, gives me more freedom in 2013 as ever before in history.

I can stream different music in different rooms with my Sonos system with the Sonos App on my iPhone or iPad. Or watching different movies on different screens at home or at work, or sending to my Apple TV and the Projector - everything wireless over my Apple WiFi system. I did a huge deal of research to finally find this genius solution - and complete setup was done in a couple of hours. I hope Synology does not change this winning horse - ever!

If you find something even more genius - where everything fits and works together without a lot of extra devices and cables - please share it with us. Until then, for me State of the Art, Premium solution is this combination.
-Edit-

Delete post please

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What RAID setup is best for NAS/XBMC usage?1