XBMC on Asus Transformer android tablet
Okay now here's my output. I'm assuming this means I need to uninstall something because there are conflicts? (good call on the ssh btw)

Code:
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libcurl4-gnutls-dev : Conflicts: libcurl-dev
libcurl4-openssl-dev : Conflicts: libcurl-dev
libgl1-mesa-dev : Conflicts: libgl-dev
libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev : Depends: libgl1-mesa-swx11 (= 7.11-0ubuntu3.2) but it is not going to be installed
                         Conflicts: libgl-dev
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Quote: here's my output.

Ok, I have no clue about this but if you read what he is saying we can assume there is not only an output but also an input?
The input ought to include a list of packages? One or many is cause the issue.
He have tried to explain to you that you need to remove the package that cause issue from the list of the input.

I think this is one of those cases you will struggle if you are not willing to actually read the commands that you copy paste from the guide.

So now remove libcurl4-gnutls-dev and the 3 other packages from the command and try again.
Ok listen man. Don't bother to comment if you're just going to be condescending. It's not that big of a project to me and I don't need you giving me advice on how to follow a guide. If you had actually read any of my posts in this thread you would see that I've stated many times over that I'm a noob and I don't have the experience with Linux that you guys have. Yes, I'm following a guide, and yes, I'm trying to understand what I'm doing in each step and yes, I've googled and googled over and over through this process each time I run into a wall.

Don't assume that I'm not "willing" to read or research just cause I need help. Many of the replies of been pretty ambiguous to someone who doesn't understand the build process or anything Linux for that matter. He told me to just "skip over" things. Well if I'm following a guide and it gives me a command that is three words to build dependencies and it fails, then someone says "just skip over" how the hell am I supposed just know how to do that?

Again, if you're going to reply and be an ass, then don't bother replying. I don't need to be lectured just because I'm asking for help. I don't really care whether this pans out or not, its not that important to me. So I'm guess I'm done with it for now.

It's no wonder these forums have such a reputation of being overrun by dicks who troll the threads for opportunities to flame noobs asking questions.
I understand it would/could come off like that but I truly tried to help you.
I do understand this is a huge project for you and that is why I felt I should take the risk and poke you in the right direction. Unwanted or not.

Now, just try to do what he/we told you to do and remove the offending packages from the command line.
You must enter something like apt-get install aaa bbb ccc
If ccc gives and error - remove it and try with aaa bbb

To be fair, he have told you to do that in a not that ambiguous way and I have spelled it out for you.

Kafluke Wrote:Many of the replies of been pretty ambiguous to someone who doesn't understand the build process or anything Linux for that matter. He told me to just "skip over" things. Well if I'm following a guide and it gives me a command that is three words to build dependencies and it fails, then someone says "just skip over" how the hell am I supposed just know how to do that?
(2012-05-26, 19:02)wsnipex Wrote: ok: skip the part from the guide that says "apt-get build-dep xbmc". This does not work because of non-existing libcec and possible other libs.
Instead install the dependencies(from the readme above) manually.

Replace those virtual packages (libcurl-dev in my example) with a real one, eg. libcurl4-openssl-dev.
Leave out all packages that "have no installation candidate" or are not available(in your case e.g. libcec-dev)

rinse and repeat until the apt-get command succeeds.

not ambiguous at all. Notice the word "instead"

Kafluke Wrote:Again, if you're going to reply and be an ass, then don't bother replying. I don't need to be lectured just because I'm asking for help. I don't really care whether this pans out or not, its not that important to me. So I'm guess I'm done with it for now.

It's no wonder these forums have such a reputation of being overrun by dicks who troll the threads for opportunities to flame noobs asking questions.

you really need an attitude adjustment...
I have done my best to explain the - actually quite simple task of installing a couple of ubuntu packages - in an easy to follow way. As it seems, I failed with you, so vikjon0 tried again to point you in the right direction
btw, the XBMC forum overall is one of the most polite forums I know, dunno what "noob flaming dicks" you are talking about.

Do you realise that:
  • people here were really trying to help you
  • everything is provided to you completely free
  • we don't owe you anything
  • comprehensive reading is a important cultural technique
Quote:It's no wonder these forums have such a reputation of being overrun by dicks who troll the threads for opportunities to flame noobs asking questions.

One guy got snippy with you and you respond by insulting evergone. No one here is looking to just piss people off or make fun of them. This is an otherwise interesting thread, so let's all keep a cool head here, or it will be closed.
Take a look over at OpenSUSE, they have pre-compiled packages for ARM and see what is there.
I am very interested in this. I'd hate to see it get shut down because of a flame war. Theres alot of potential for XBMC on android devices. With HDMI out on alot of cheap devices they could instantly become XBMC boxes and for next to nothing.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost...count=1726

(2012-05-29, 17:52)Kafluke Wrote: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost...count=1726

Very nice
(2012-05-29, 17:52)Kafluke Wrote: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost...count=1726

Quote:Install dependances needed for building XBMC from source.( Read README.linux once you have the git (source) downloaded

which leads right back to this topic
With wsnipex's help I was able to build the dependencies just fine earlier. It failed the "make" command though so I'm going to try using the guide above and the steps that wsnipex gave me earlier.
Any updates ? How is XBMC on the tablet ? Video playback ?
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
I kinda lost the fire to put much more effort into it since it has already been done and I have funner projects that I'm working on.
Personally, i really hope and I think the time is overdue for the XBMC community to port to android. With so much android hardware out there in so many different forms factors at different price categories (HDMI android stick, Vizio VAP430, Rasberry Pi , all the smartphones, kindle fire, Google TV, Nexus 7 and the Nexus Q) the user base for an android port could be massive.

I'd certainly pay good money for the excellent XBMC inteface to be operational on all my android devices.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Asus Transformer android tablet0