First HTPC
I have always wanted to build a HTPC. I have decided to drop cable as an excuse to build one. I have a Mohu Leaf antenna and will look into recording later.

I am looking to fit a HTPC to fit into my entertainment cabinet. I hate noise and electronics hate heat so I'm looking to use a case with good airflow that wouldn't look out of place.

Cases:
Antec NSK2480 $104
or
Silverston GD05B $88

I have some old 120mm fans that I may use to reduce noise. I may also swap out the power supply if I buy the Antec to reduce noise. I have an old seasonic whisper 600 that may work.

Motherboard:
ASRock Socket FM1/AMD A75 $90

CPU:
AMD 3650 OEM $80
I have some arctic silver ceramic.

Cooler: I may use the Scythe Big Shuriken SCBSK-2100 $43
I am not sure what other cooler would be recommended because I should have a fair amount of space.

Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 2 x 2GB $29

Hard Drives:
Mushkin 60GB SSD $60
I have a couple 300 GB drives for temporary storage. I'll back things up to a 1.5 terrabyte USB drive.

Looks like this should run about $406 + shipping.
Nice
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
(2012-05-23, 04:15)Rabbid Wrote: Silverston GD05B $88
I like this one......

If you want to have a silencer HTPC, you can add these to the package- PicoPSU 90 and SilenX EFX-12-12 120mm Case Fan........

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
My first HTPC case was the NSK2480. It's a great case. It comes with my favorite ATX PSU: EA-380D. Just beware it's a little wider than spec'd because of the side grills. The HTPC version is the Antec Remote Fusion though that version does not come with the power supply.
(2012-05-23, 04:42)bluray Wrote:
(2012-05-23, 04:15)Rabbid Wrote: Silverston GD05B $88
I like this one......

If you want to have a silencer HTPC, you can add these to the package- PicoPSU 90 and SilenX EFX-12-12 120mm Case Fan........

I use this to control the stock fans on this case. Makes them silent from 3+ feet away. I tried simply replacing the stock fan with quieter ones but got bad thermal results(I do have different/Higher TDP components). I think that this being a positive pressure case you need to use fans with decent static pressure. The stock silverstone fans are designed to produce ample static pressure.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811996023
Thanks for the links everyone.

Dougie Fresh, I hadn't thought about using a remote. I have a programmable logitech xbox remote. It looks like the ASRock mobo may just need a CIR module. I found a post by eskro that says I can contact them for the CIR module.

I'm going to include the fan control Queball posted to the build. I have some extremely quiet 120mm fans but this should allow me to use them somewhere else.

Is 90 Watts enough to run the AMD 3650 and a OVA TV capture card if I add one later? Since the case is big enough I'll probably start with one of my old PSUs I have lying around then judge the noise.
With 90 watts you're probably pushing your luck - that's a 100w TDP CPU so give it even a remotely difficult multithreaded task and you can say bye bye to your PSU. Most ATX PSUs are quiet now so it's not really worth the risk!

If you don't need the extra core a 3500 is a good shout and less power hungry (although I still would want a minimum 120w PSU). My system draws 48w at the wall when idle (more like 35-40w after the PSU takes it share), with an 3500 and 3 drives.
That's what I figured thanks for confirming that adruss85. I found my old Seasonic and it should work.

I decided on the Silverstone GD05B. All parts have been ordered, price with shipping about 393.
(2012-05-23, 05:21)Queball Wrote: I think that this being a positive pressure case you need to use fans with decent static pressure. The stock silverstone fans are designed to produce ample static pressure.
If you get this "SilenX EFX-12-15 120mm Case Fan" good air flow silent fan and the big Shuriken in OP, I bet that it'll keep everything cool in that case with very minimal noise.....

(2012-05-23, 17:10)Rabbid Wrote: Is 90 Watts enough to run the AMD 3650 and a OVA TV capture card if I add one later? Since the case is big enough I'll probably start with one of my old PSUs I have lying around then judge the noise.
Since the 3650 is 100W APU and you are planning to add more stuffs in it later, I'm suggesting this "picoPSU-160-XT + 192W Adapter Power Kit" instead......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC0