Newbie needing help setting up apple tv with a mac mini
Hi guys,

I have recently converted from a wmc user since mce 2004 to xbmc and a apple based set up.

My first purchase was a mac mini with an external hardrive with all my media on which works great.

I have today received a apple tv 2 and jail broke it so xbmc is now installed and runningngreat

However i can not find where to point it to find the movies on the external drive plugged into the mini

On a windows based system it shows the windows pc name, name ofnthe hardrive etc but i do not see the same options now when looking for the mac mini
Any suggestions ?

Sorry, to add to this i have all the movies linked to within itunes on the mac mini andnthey show up in the apple tv " computers" section so dont think its a sharing issue
Hi newstuart. We'll call this noobs helping noobs. I'm running basically the same setup and just got started on xbmc after a very long time away. If your mini is running the latest OS then there are some issues. I've gotten around them by using AFP (the apple file sharing protocol) as it is recently supported in xbmc. On your mini go to preferences->sharing and enable file sharing. I created a user named xbmc on my mini and use those credentials for the ATV2 clients. Then just share out your locally mounted drive. It took a little fiddling with the connection syntax to get it right but eventually I got it and it works great.

Oh, and itunes is a completely different beast. Point xbmc directly at your media files. One share for Movies, a different share for TV. Add them separately, set the scrapers and let it work. Then have fun refining your file structure as necessary.

Good luck!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie needing help setting up apple tv with a mac mini0