Compile on one computer, install on another?!
I know this is possible, otherwise ppas wouldn't work!

I have compiled xbmc on my main i7 computer. I did this because my xbmc tv box is an ion 330 which is SLOW to compile.

I have installed the compiled version on my i7, and it works fine and dandy. How do i save myself time downloading git and compiling again, and install the new version on my asrock?

Which files do I move across, xbmc.bin?, and what commands do I run. I tried a google or two and ran out of luck.

Thanks,

Neil
in most cases, just copying xbmc.bin will do. but it's not safe, there may be skin changes, add-on changes, changes to some of the .so's etc.
I do with sshfs. This mounts a directory of a other pc. When doing this as root I can simply execute 'make install' and the pre-compiled XBMC gets installed with all of its files.
so if i just copied the gitxbmc folder which has been compiled to the other machine i can just install that.

awesome. I'll report back once I get a chance to try it!
I probably won't try copying the source folder. make might want to recompile when you touch the files. (not sure, never tried)
cp -p.
thanks, didn't know what it meant at first, however, google was my friend. i feel enlightened!
Kind of on topic, but not entirely. Once you've compiled from source, where do you put xbmc.bin so that you can call it via CLI? I tried moving xbmc.bin to /usr/bin, but that didn't work when I typed xbmc into a prompt. If I give the full path, i.e. /home/<user>/xbmc/xbmc.bin, it fires up without a hitch. Not sure where to put the binary.

Also, on my main HTPC I have XBMCBuntu installed. Can I compile a new build and just replace the binary, or is there more to it?
thanks for all the tips.

yesterday i used your tips and this guide:

http://www.lylebackenroth.com/blog/sshfs/

to mount the compile folder on my i7 onto my asrock, and just did "sudo make install" ran without a hitch. i think just moving xbmc.bin isn't enough to go from eden to frodo, the skin has had updates, so i think you have to compile.

thanks again!
Thanks, I'll explore that avenue later today.
(2012-05-27, 05:09)pumkinut Wrote: Kind of on topic, but not entirely. Once you've compiled from source, where do you put xbmc.bin so that you can call it via CLI? I tried moving xbmc.bin to /usr/bin, but that didn't work when I typed xbmc into a prompt. If I give the full path, i.e. /home/<user>/xbmc/xbmc.bin, it fires up without a hitch. Not sure where to put the binary.

Also, on my main HTPC I have XBMCBuntu installed. Can I compile a new build and just replace the binary, or is there more to it?

easiest would be to do "make install". Or execute xbmc.bin. the "xbmc" command is actually only a shell script that executes xbmc.bin
Yeah, I finally got it working on my i5 workstation. Now the challenge is to compile a new version on my HTPC and play with that. Thanks for the info.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Compile on one computer, install on another?!0