setting up my htpc and xbmc a little help apreciated
im trying to figure out the best way of setting up my HTPC and i dont think what ive done is right for me,

so far ive just installed openelec and i just get xbmc, i guess thats what openelec is but

what i would like is for my machine to boot into xbmc as it does now but also have the option to come out of that and be able to get onto a browser (pref firefox) and also have the option of installing sabnzbd

is this possible and do i need to install something on top of openelec?

thanks
I don't know about OpenElec, but with XBMCbuntu, you can boot into a standard desktop and run other applications. It comes with Synaptic, so you can easily install other web browsers, media players, etc. And you can easily switch it back to booting directly to XBMC so the OS isn't apparent. It may not be as appliance-like or boot as quickly as OpenElec, but it may give you a good HTPC experience without limiting your flexibility to do other things with your system.
I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and then XBMC on top. I have it load right into XBMC after the GUI boots, and from there you can do everything. I have no experience with XBMCBuntu or OpenElec, as they dont work with my hardware.

Is Linux Mint a good os to use as a base?
I prefer Ubuntu 12.04 LTS myself...I find it is easier than Mint, has a bigger more helpful community, not to mention, you can do the two things you want with it...you just have to install XBMC and make it open at boot..but you could always close it and then open firefox (which is pre installed)

However most of what someone will tell you about a distro is based on personal preference (except the fact that ubuntu has the biggest most helpful community)...My advice to you, is to make a multiboot pendrive with YUMI, all you need to do is download the ISOs, which YUMI directs you to the download page of most of them if you don't have it...it will boot up into a grub bootloader and autoboot into your harddrive...but gives you the option to boot into the other installed live cds...I would recommend Ubuntu 12.04, Mint, and Puppy to try out...but Ubuntu is still my favorite

PS, you can also install computer diagnostics and other utilities that will run OS free so it is a great little too in case of a catastrophic failure

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
setting up my htpc and xbmc a little help apreciated 0