My first build A6-3500 (advice please)
Hello

After using a XBOX with XBMC for years I recently choose an apple tv for a second player. This totally did not live up to expectations and since my wife and would like to have an extra computer anyway for when we fight of our main computer I decided it was time for a full HTPC which could backup as computer normal office work and some "older" games. (I still love the strategy games like the red alert series and similar).

I already bought an iWill HT-80 , and I got approval from my almighty wife to have this case in the living room in semi-sight. So now I know what my case will be it is time to start ordering equipment and start building the HTPC. I already have a NAS with 4 TB or Raid space, so I do not need any additional room on the HTPC for storing files. I have come up with the following items based on all topics I read and what was wondering what the comments or thoughts are from the experts of this forum.

ASRock A75M-ITX
AMD A6-3500 Llano 2.1GHz
Gelid CPU Cooler Slim Silence AM2 (CC-SSilence-AM2)
Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Patriot Torqx 2 PT232GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB

I have no clue if this is under/overkill or badly matched so any advice is much appreciated.
(2012-05-25, 03:12)torpedojager Wrote: ASRock A75M-ITX
AMD A6-3500 Llano 2.1GHz
Gelid CPU Cooler Slim Silence AM2 (CC-SSilence-AM2)
Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Patriot Torqx 2 PT232GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB
Great selection for HTPC, and your wife will be proud of you......I thought that your A6 APU might be benefit from this "Crucial Ballistix" memory than the value ram......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Great choices, especially the beautiful case Smile

Even though you won't store media on it, you might need 64GB SSD for office applications and the games you describe. The different in price between 32 and 64GB SSDs is not very much these days.

If you use a ATX power extender you can get away with using the RAM bluray proposes. Otherwise, stay with the low profile RAM or it will likely not reach.

Are you planning to use an ODD?

Good luck with your build. Please post your results, pictures, etc.
Great, thanks for the tips.

@ bluray What would be the benefit of the "Crucial Ballistix" memory over the value ram?

@ Dougie Fresh. Good point on the SSD, I was trying to shave some bucks off but it indeed does not have a big impact. I will go back to the 64 GB
@ Dougie Fresh. Yes, I'm planning on using an ODD. You already advised the Sony Optiarc BC-5600S, since I cant find another one with the eject button on th eleft and I would like to have the hardware option I think i will go with your recommendation. Is every Sony/Nec BC-5600S the same with an eject button on the left?

@ Dougie Fresh. What is actually the difference between a PicoPSU and the supplied brick PSU in the case?

I forgot by the way, this build will be a Windows 7 machine. Does the professional or Ultimate make a difference for it? I don't see any, but still wondering.

Regarding the actual build, my last PC I build is 10 years ago so I will definetly share it from the inexperienced perspective and hope my end results can help somebody else. Do I need anything extra liking gel between the CPU and fan or anything else?
(2012-05-25, 11:34)torpedojager Wrote: Great, thanks for the tips.

@ bluray What would be the benefit of the "Crucial Ballistix" memory over the value ram?
Here is a great explanation on it- GIGABYTE Tech Daily......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray, thanks for the information. I'll take your advice and go for that memory.

Based on dougie's input I chose an ATX 24 pin extender

I also watched this Newegg video to get familiar with building again. For me the info on the CPU and thermal paste were useful again after doing a build for 10 years.

I found out my fan has a pre-applied high performance GC-2 thermal compound, so I guess I do not need additional thermal paste, but I will check this when the fan come in.

In the meantime I also chose the Logitech K400 keyboard.

I am eager to start ordering, but since nothing will probably ship this weekend anyway I will wait a little bit longer so I could get some more feedback.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first build A6-3500 (advice please)0