No sound with Xbmcbuntu Eden via HDMI
Hello guys,

Since a few days, i'm working my A** out the get sound working with movies/tvshows. I have to following situation:

Zotac ZBOX HD-ID11
640 GB 2.5'' SATA harddrive
Latest version of XBMCBuntu installed (EDEN)
HDMI cable connected to my Samsung LE40665A LCD TV

However, im not able to get any sound with my Movies/TV-Shows. In the main menu and submenu's of XBMC, everything works fine just as it should.

Aplay - l shows the following information:

Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

1.All Subdevices show 0/1 -> Is this normal?

I also created a asound.conf in /etc/asound.conf with the following information:

Code:
cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
    device 3
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
    device 3
}

Does anyone knows what i am doing wrong here ?

Kind regards,
Elroy

*kick*

Nobody has the same issues?
as you stated you have sound when playing your media files, just not the navigation sounds or on the "buntu" side? Try installing pravucontrol and paprefs and see if those help you get this solved. I just installed them this morning and was able to get it working. They should help you in choosing the correct configuration you need.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Hello,

No I do not have sound with my mediafiles. only the xbmc main menu and submenu's have sound.

I am in pretty much exactly the same boat, but with ATI, not nvidia. And regular Ubuntu, not Xbmcbuntu.

I will post back if I manage to figure it out, but so far all the solutions have caveats such as completely disabling pulseaudio and losing navigation sounds. Plus, I've already tried a few things from wiki's and forum posts regarding asound.conf, upgrading ALSA.... none of which have worked.

I'm really surprised that there isn't a better wiki page for such standard information. It seems getting full audio out of HDMI is a base case for Linux, and the help around it is awful. I definitely would like to get to the bottom of it and shore up the wiki. Would be a simple thing to contribute back.
(2012-05-27, 10:26)Possible Wrote: Hello,

No I do not have sound with my mediafiles. only the xbmc main menu and submenu's have sound.

so you are getting an error popup that says failed to initialize audio correct? Could you post a debug log when the error occurs. My audio settings are as follows:

Audio Settings HDMI
Speaker Config 2.0
Boost Volume Level on Down mix is checked
Audio Device Defaults (ALSA)
Passthrough Device hdmi (ALSA)

I hope this helps point you in the right direction, could you also post how your audio output is currently set up?
(2012-05-27, 17:58)jozeph78 Wrote: I am in pretty much exactly the same boat, but with ATI, not nvidia. And regular Ubuntu, not Xbmcbuntu.

I will post back if I manage to figure it out, but so far all the solutions have caveats such as completely disabling pulseaudio and losing navigation sounds. Plus, I've already tried a few things from wiki's and forum posts regarding asound.conf, upgrading ALSA.... none of which have worked.

I'm really surprised that there isn't a better wiki page for such standard information. It seems getting full audio out of HDMI is a base case for Linux, and the help around it is awful. I definitely would like to get to the bottom of it and shore up the wiki. Would be a simple thing to contribute back.

I had that issue for a while when I was running ubuntu with xbmc installed on top, can you check to see if your volume is muted, you should be able to access the ubuntu audio gui by clicking on the icon in the corner of the desktop if memory serves you should also be able to tinker with the output settings there as well. Hope this helps.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound with Xbmcbuntu Eden via HDMI0