• 18(current)
iPad 3 and xbmc?
It's likely just a matter of someone getting enough time to work out the various issues with Retina video playback on the iPad. The GUI is already rendered in retina.

In other words, all in good time.
It is a matter of gpu2cpu bandwidth that we clamped the resolution on ios. There was a solution i started working on which gets rid of the need to copy textures from gpu to cpu memory and back (gpu2gpu so to say). But this approach is only available since ios5 sdk and we didn't bump yet because the ios5 sdk gave a lot of hazzle to us. We will have to live with that at least for gotham - and depending on how much harder real live will be then it might be possible that we bump to a recent ios sdk version and i can look again into the gpu2gpu approach.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for the replies guys, I completely understand that it will be a while, it's just comforting to know that its not entirely forgotten and might get looked at at some point in the future.

Memphiz, if its not too much trouble could you clarify a couple of things for me?

From your post, am I right in thinking that you said xbmc is mainly pre ios5 SDK? And ios 5 sdk gave you guys a lot of trouble, any idea on whether ios 6 or 7 sdk is any better or is that not even worth looking at yet?
Little confused with 'We will have to live with that at least for Gotham' - does that mean that nothing will change until after Gotham? And then maybe post Gotham you guys might look at bumping to a more recent ios sdk? Roughly speaking, I guess post Gotham will be around mid 2014?

I take it that the retina resolution on ios is relatively easy on ios 5/6/7 sdk, but those are giving you other issues non related to retina resolution? Basically just trying to understand why other players such as avplayerhd or rushplayer etc work.
(2013-10-02, 15:24)Platypus2 Wrote: From your post, am I right in thinking that you said xbmc is mainly pre ios5 SDK?

It is built against IOS SDK 4.3 and we might need to go back to SDK 4.2 for gotham release due to SDK 4.3 bug (headers don't match the runtime of iOS 4.3 - apple screwed it up...).

(2013-10-02, 15:24)Platypus2 Wrote: And ios 5 sdk gave you guys a lot of trouble, any idea on whether ios 6 or 7 sdk is any better or is that not even worth looking at yet?

Nobody took the effort to test yet ...

(2013-10-02, 15:24)Platypus2 Wrote: Little confused with 'We will have to live with that at least for Gotham' - does that mean that nothing will change until after Gotham?

Based on the time i have for XBMC stuff latly i would say so. We don't bump SDK versions (which can have major implications to various places in XBMC) when nobody is around to take care of regressions after that.

(2013-10-02, 15:24)Platypus2 Wrote: And then maybe post Gotham you guys might look at bumping to a more recent ios sdk?

If number of iOS devs doesn't increase until then (currently 3 - actively 0.5) - yep.

(2013-10-02, 15:24)Platypus2 Wrote: Roughly speaking, I guess post Gotham will be around mid 2014?

No dates known...

(2013-10-02, 15:24)Platypus2 Wrote: I take it that the retina resolution on ios is relatively easy on ios 5/6/7 sdk

Not easy - but doable... keep in mind that XBMCs codebase is multiplatform and not ios specific. What might look easy to most of iOS apps is something completly different for XBMC due to its generic code.

(2013-10-02, 15:24)Platypus2 Wrote: , but those are giving you other issues non related to retina resolution?

Yep - for example the time was shown 7 minutes early ... and other problems with crashing in 3rd party libraries like libsmbclient and libmysqlclient iirc.

(2013-10-02, 15:24)Platypus2 Wrote: Basically just trying to understand why other players such as avplayerhd or rushplayer etc work.

Yeah thats what most users don't get "all others can do it - can't be that hard to make XBMC doing it right aswell". But as said - look into the code or stay low. avplayerhd, rushplayer mxplayer and what not are all dedicated players using the normal SDK APIs for video playback (which is not mighty enough for XBMC - just to answer that upcoming question too...). XBMC is not.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2012-11-05, 22:30)Memphiz Wrote: Please ipad3 users test this build with 1080p content and give feedback:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30371861/org.xb...pu2gpu.deb

thx

It seems to be gone. Does anyone know of sources where it's available at?
It is not atm. We cleaned up our mirrors during devcon. If you can compile you can do it from this code:

https://github.com/Memphiz/xbmc/commits/gpu2gpu
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iPad 3 and xbmc?0